Weighing Pros and Cons of Getting Another Kitten

max&milo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think that we as humans think that if we wouldn't like it, neither would the cat. I found this to be absolutely false both when bringing the kittens home and when we moved to a new house. If I left them in a smaller room, they were much more calm. It was a new territory to explore and sniff and get comfortable with, but they started out small, with just the one room. I would let them out when I was home, but it took days before they'd venture out of their safe room on their own, and then,timidly. When we moved from our apartment to our house, it took a full week before Max came downstairs. For my boys, giving them free reign of the entire living space was intimidating for them. So I don't think you should feel bad for leaving the kitten alone in a room while you're at work or at night; it's their safe place where they'll feel the most comfortable until they're ready to explore the entire house/apartment.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, here's my problem,....when we first got Harley (he had 2 other kittens with him in the litter) and after we had Harley about a month-we brought over 1 of his sisters to our apartment b/c one of our friends adopted her. When his sister was there, Harley was VERY mean and would chase her around and hit her and everything, so I had to keep them seperate for awhile cuz I felt so bad. But later in the afternoon, they were both found sleeping together in one of my dresser drawers, so he adjustsed after awhile and then he was okay with her being there.

I just don't want to scare a poor little kitten, especially with Harley being the only one there now. I also was just concerned cuz Harley was having a slight peeing problem (which has not come up again) and I was just wondering that if we bring a new kitten home, if that would act up again, like as if he would be marking his territory?

I'm sorry if that sounds dumb or anything!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rosie was nearly one year old when i got Sophie as a kitten, and while i was at work i kept Sophie in another room with her food, water etc... and only let them out under my watchful eye.

Rosie wasn't a happy kitty at first, but it only took her 2 weeks to accept Sophie, but i'd tell anyone to get at least 2 cats now because their such great play mates and snuggle pals

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nekomimi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I still don't know how we are going to go about all of this, but I appreciate all of your great advice!

We will probably try to get an appointment with the vet the day we pick up the little one, and then work from there. It really all depends on how the two react to each other at first! At least I'm always at home so I can monitor them both!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all make sure all cats are neutered/spayed - that's half your battle.

6 1/2 months is a great age to introduce a playmate. Since it seems females are more territorial and resent other cats coming in, chose a mellow, laid back male kitten.

Put the new one in a carrier and let them check each other out - they will hiss and growl - ignore it.

One trick is to put a little baby cornstarch powder on each of them and brush it in - makes them smell the same.

In time they will make friends - ignore hissing and don't interfer unless they really are fighting.