Week Vacation

what to do with a cat for 8 day vacation?

• Board in sitter’s house

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drop in visits at own house

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

katiebug28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi everyone. I am getting ready for a vacation and am looking for advice. I will be gone for a full week - 7 nights actually and am not sure what’s best for my cat. Callie is extremely friendly and spends 90% of the time I’m home with me so I am tempted to take her to stay with a sitter where she won’t be alone but I’m not sure if that is a bad idea. What do you all think would be better? Having someone drop in every day? Twice a day? Any advice appreciated!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Obviously it's a personal choice but if Callie can stay in her own home with familiar surroundings it is more beneficial. However, if the pet sitter knows Callie then taking her to the sitter's home could work as long as the sitter does not have other pets there.

We have used the same pet sitter for the past 10 yrs. and she comes in twice a day. She will bring her breakfast in the morning or dinner at night so that she can spend time in our home as well as play with our cat. In the evening she sits down to watch Wheel of Fortune and shares the sofa with him. :wink: She also calls and/or texts me with updates plus sends pics. Good luck, I hope you find what works best for Callie. :hugs:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's more than a few days i board my cats at a cat only boarding place for that extra supervision. Whatevers best for your situation works.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats bond to their territory, so when there's a choice, it's always best for the cat to remain in its home. Over the past 30 years, I've had a variety of pet sitters, and some were not good, so I suggest that if you have someone come in to feed the cat and clean the litter box, you 'vet' that person beforehand--either through references from people you know or via a thorough interview.

In 30 years with cats, I've never boarded them except when necessary for medical reasons.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a thread I think it’s called pet sitter vs boarding. I had the same questions. My two kittens will be almost eight months old when I travel later this month. I visited the boarding facility and it was ok but I had the sitter come and meet Alex and Tyler and chose to go with the sitter. I’m using the next two weeks to transition their wet food meal times to more closely match the times of day she is coming morning and evening. I’ll get email and picture updates of my boys. She will refill the bird feeders outside to keep the daily entertainment at the windows going. I feel very comfortable with my decision.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiebug28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies! I’m going with a cat sitter - my vet recommended this too.