Week old kitten won't eat

graceexoxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
8 days ago a stray cat gave birth to a few kittens. Only one was left today, so I decided it would be best to take her because there are a lot of male cats and the mother is a very small & scared cat.

The kitten looks very healthy, the eyes are partially open, and everything seems fine, but for some reason she will not eat. I know kittens her age are supposed to eat every 2-3 hours, but its almost been 5 and she refuses to eat anything.

She hasn't cried at all yet and she doesn't refuse the bottle really, she just keeps sleeping. I don't know if somehow she's dehydrated, she doesn't seem lethargic, just sleepy. I don't know if I should be worried and try to make her eat or if I should just wait for her to cry.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to capture the mom cat? The baby would have a better chance if you could keep the baby in a safe place with her. The kitten is too young and weak for a bottle but you might get some milk (I hope you are using kitten replacement milk?) in her with a syringe. But you need to do something quickly or the kitten will pass. Also the kitten needs to be on a heating pad or warmed blanket since it can’t maintain its own body temp and being cold will also kill it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

graceexoxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it possible to capture the mom cat? The baby would have a better chance if you could keep the baby in a safe place with her. The kitten is too young and weak for a bottle but you might get some milk (I hope you are using kitten replacement milk?) in her with a syringe. But you need to do something quickly or the kitten will pass. Also the kitten needs to be on a heating pad or warmed blanket since it can’t maintain its own body temp and being cold will also kill it.
She is on a heating pad and I am using kitten replacement milk. I have raised many kittens in the past, but I'm not sure why this one is refusing to eat. She really doesn't seem lethargic (when I pet her she stretches and rolls over) just genuinely uninterested in eating. She is warm and doesn't feel skinny, but I know she needs to eat soon. Should I keep trying to feed her even though she wants to sleep?

There is no way to capture the mother, she is completely feral and runs/bites if I get too close.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is on a heating pad and I am using kitten replacement milk. I have raised many kittens in the past, but I'm not sure why this one is refusing to eat. She really doesn't seem lethargic (when I pet her she stretches and rolls over) just genuinely uninterested in eating. She is warm and doesn't feel skinny, but I know she needs to eat soon. Should I keep trying to feed her even though she wants to sleep?

There is no way to capture the mother, she is completely feral and runs/bites if I get too close.
Kittens whom are used to momma, are often reluctant to take bottle... With such kittens its easier with a little syringe, or even a dropper...

Time is running now... You can begin with enticing into her a little water with honey, or even water with common sugar. Be sure she is warm when you feed her kmr...
Forcefeed if necessary!