Week Old Kitten With Pneumonia

Cmar4518

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A week ago a friend of mine brought me a new born kitten she had found outside her house. All was well untill I noticed his paw going dark and swollen over night. Took him to the vet Saturday and they gave him antibiotics. I just came back fron the vet yet again because little Jonesie started having trouble breathing. Turns out its pneumonia. Dr didn't want to give him any more antibiotics and pretty much told me to go home and hope for the best but not be hopeful.

What can I do?! I keep him warm I ran a steamy shower and sat with him in the bathroom hoping that can help. I massage his ribs to hopefully help and I'm getting a humidifier ready. What else can I do?? I don't want him to die. My family has grown so attached to him. I can't let him die. Its killing me. Any suggestions? I know its dim but i want to give it my best.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he still taking the antibiotics? What kind? If not, tell the vet you want some Clavamox because even if it's bad for him, it's better than dying from pneumonia.

At this age it's probably inhalation pneumonia, most likely from him inhaling his formula. How are you feeding him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cmar4518

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is he still taking the antibiotics? What kind? If not, tell the vet you want some Clavamox because even if it's bad for him, it's better than dying from pneumonia.

At this age it's probably inhalation pneumonia, most likely from him inhaling his formula. How are you feeding him?
He's still taking the antibiotics and its Clavamox.
I'm bottle feeding and I'm sure its from that which breaks my heart.
They gave me a lesson there on how to feed properly.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is it going? You seems to do what is possible, including massage.

I would perhaps suggest also massage of the limbs. Perhaps using a toothbrush, its feels alike mommas licking. Talk softly as you surely do. Set on purring - there are youtube sessions on it. Alternatively carrying at your chest, so it hears the heart beating.
Pray if you can and wish.

Pneumonia is often deadly, may take just a few hours. Leaved a healthy kitten in the evening, cold in the morning.
Pneumonia is what most often takes healthy born kittens. Both orphans and sometimes also with momma.

But Fate is sometimes kind and sometimes they make it anyway, so its meaningsful to fight on.

C Cmar4518

Cmar4518

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is it going? You seems to do what is possible, including massage.

I would perhaps suggest also massage of the limbs. Perhaps using a toothbrush, its feels alike mommas licking. Talk softly as you surely do. Set on purring - there are youtube sessions on it. Alternatively carrying at your chest, so it hears the heart beating.
Pray if you can and wish.

Pneumonia is often deadly, may take just a few hours. Leaved a healthy kitten in the evening, cold in the morning.
Pneumonia is what most often takes healthy born kittens. Both orphans and sometimes also with momma.

But Fate is sometimes kind and sometimes they make it anyway, so its meaningsful to fight on.

C Cmar4518
He's holding on. Still has strong cries eats more or less good. I'm feeding him more often. I'm keeping the humidifier on. He usually sleeps on my chest and I'll have to try the brush messages.
I just want to make him as comfortable as possible. I'm so hopeful I really do pray for the best.

I also just noticed about 3 or 4 lumps on his belly close to his hind legs. I feel like it's just one thing after the other. I just want to get him through.

Lets hope fate is kind to my baby.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hm, lumps on the belly...What can it be?
Several things comes to my mind.

It may be the lymph assembling, and or swollen lymph nodes.
Hopefully massaging also the legs and rest of the body may help against such a lymph assembly. Easy to happen if the heart isnt working in full strengh.

If its lymph nodes - we know there is an infection going... So the lymph nodes will swollen up more or less.

It may be some fly laying its eggs under the skin. Quite common, esp with homeless kittens. Yes, they can die of it if its invasion massive enough.

Cmar4518

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hm, lumps on the belly...What can it be?
Several things comes to my mind.

It may be the lymph assembling, and or swollen lymph nodes.
Hopefully massaging also the legs and rest of the body may help against such a lymph assembly. Easy to happen if the heart isnt working in full strengh.

If its lymph nodes - we know there is an infection going... So the lymph nodes will swollen up more or less.

It may be some fly laying its eggs under the skin. Quite common, esp with homeless kittens. Yes, they can die of it if its invasion massive enough.
Would the antibiotics help with the lumps if its the lymph nodes?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I was thinking the same thing about the lymph nodes. Hoping he turns the corner for you soon!

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have much else to add to what others have said, it's all great advice.
We just lost a 3 month old to pneumonia and it was heart-breaking. She fell ill while we were in Florida and our house-sitter, my brother, managed to keep her alive until we got back but she died shortly thereafter. Don't forget that kittens at yours' age cannot maintain body heat and need a heat source.
Nellie even at 3 months was very cold and that was how we knew she was in dire straits.

Cmar4518

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was thinking the same thing about the lymph nodes. Hoping he turns the corner for you soon!
Thank you! Taking him back to the vet tomorrow. Wish us luck!

Cmar4518

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't have much else to add to what others have said, it's all great advice.
We just lost a 3 month old to pneumonia and it was heart-breaking. She fell ill while we were in Florida and our house-sitter, my brother, managed to keep her alive until we got back but she died shortly thereafter. Don't forget that kittens at yours' age cannot maintain body heat and need a heat source.
Nellie even at 3 months was very cold and that was how we knew she was in dire straits.
Yes all great advice. I appreciate it all.
I'm sorry for your little one. When I got Jonesie he had Ben left outside for a while and when he finally made it to me he was freezing. They vet gave me a fluid bag to put in the microwave to help keep him warm. We have the humidifier going and that's also helping with keeping him warm and lots of skin to skin. I hope its all at least making him comfortable.

Cmar4518

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Should I consider euthanasia? I'm so torn. My vet offered it and the kittens breathing seems more and more laboured. I don't want to go through with it because what if he gets better in a few days. But what if he doesn't and I only prolong his suffering. I'm just so heart broken. I don't know what to do.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
C Cmar4518

Is he still on the clavamox? Can they give him a steroid? That should help his breathing. They can also give him a tiny bit of pain medicine.

Have you talked with the vet today?

If you feel that he is not going to get better, that he is actually dying, and nothing is helping, then euthanasia would ease his passing.

Cmar4518

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
C Cmar4518

Is he still on the clavamox? Can they give him a steroid? That should help his breathing. They can also give him a tiny bit of pain medicine.

Have you talked with the vet today?

If you feel that he is not going to get better, that he is actually dying, and nothing is helping, then euthanasia would ease his passing.
He's still on the Clavamox.
We're going back to the doctor tomorrow. I guess I just want a second opinion and give it another shot before deciding on euthanasia. Ill ask about steroids. And hopefully that helps I'm not ready to let him go

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you call and ask for the steroid today to help his breathing?

Are you still sitting in steam with him?

Cmar4518

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can call I just wouldn't be
Can you call and ask for the steroid today to help his breathing?

Are you still sitting in steam with him?
I can ask I just wouldn't be able to go until my husband gets home.

I'm still doing the steam and the humidifier.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you think he is in the verge of dying, swich of kmr to glucose water, in practice it will be water with honey. Or better still pedialyte with some honey added.
Because, glucose sugar doesnt need to be digested, its taken up already in mouth, and the whole way in the intestine system, directly into the body and blood.

In the dying, the digestion system shuts off. Kmr is no longer digested, so they dont get no more nutrients even if they seem to still eat. We can see the digestion has shut off because they often threw up white milk even hours after they had eaten....

But getting glucose sugar solution, they still get the nourishment. Its no miracle cure. If they are dying so they are dying. But it may buy them some time for the antibiotica and immune system to work on...

C Cmar4518
He's still on the Clavamox.
We're going back to the doctor tomorrow. I guess I just want a second opinion and give it another shot before deciding on euthanasia. Ill ask about steroids. And hopefully that helps I'm not ready to let him go

Cmar4518

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to update.
Yesterday almost like a miracle Jonesies breathing got so much better.
We just left the vets office.
He gained the weight he lost and we got a sample of one of the bumps tested. Its another infection.
We had initially taken him in for an infection in his paw which made it swell. Unfortunately he's losing a toe but he seems on the mend.
We're keeping him on the Clavamox switching if the lumps don't get better.
Thank u all for the wonderful advice and support. You've really helped this worried momma

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's wonderful that he turned the corner!

Are the lumps (abscesses) getting drained, or just treated with antibiotics?

Poor little guy needs a break!