Week old kitten Aspirated, I revived.

Silverfrost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My CFA persian cat had a litter of kittens. All healthy. Three of them. One is the runt though. Health slowly declined as I saw she did not eat from the mom. I stepped in and started to bottle feed her. Everytime she would eat no matter what, milk would come out the nose. She got all locked up after eatting yesterday night and I had to give her cpr to bring her back. I took her into the vet as an emergency visit. He said she checked out to be fine. All we did is watch her walk around and squeak. I took her home and the swelling in one of her eyes never went down. It almost seems popped out but her eyes have not opend yet. No blood or anything. I was able to keep her alive all day today but she has slowly eatten less and less and now she will not even try. She is continuing to softly push out a repetitive squeak each time she takes a breath. She stopped breathing a couple of times and I had to pat her upside down to make her path clear again. I called around to other vets to try and see what could be happening and how to prevent it. They just said to bring her in of course. I already spent 200 on a kitty who probably wont make it. Hopefully when I check on her next she is alright. Is there anything elce I can do for her?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know for sure but it sounds like "Fading Kitten Syndrome." (A.K.A.: Failure to Thrive.)

My father used to breed hunting dogs when I was young. The mother dog would have puppies and most of them were healthy but, every so often, one of them would be a runt. Sometimes, the puppy would live. Sometimes, it wouldn't. Nobody really knows why.

I remember on one occasion, we nursed the puppy back to health with tube feeding and lots of care. On another occasion it didn't live. There was one time when the mother killed the runt and tried to bury it, almost immediately after it was born. The puppy was so small that it wouldn't have survived. I guess it was the mother's instinct. I think that was the last time we bred that dog. I was a kid at the time and that was a long time ago.

From what you describe, it sounds like the same thing that happened with our puppies, only with kittens this time.

Check out this page and see if there's anything helpful:

My prayers are with you! :angel: :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Silverfrost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fading kitten syndrome has a bunch of different underlying causes. They just call it that when they die before 4 weeks old. Do you think if she makes it until tomorrow the vet would be able to do anything else? They could have taken an xray to see if she still had milk in her lungs. She needs help getting the rest of the milk out. I feel like she is having a hard time because there may still be some in her lungs. I have tried upside down pats and the gentle swing. I have been unsuccessful to make her drain at all. The last time I check on her she is still squeaking every time she breaths. She is just laying upright on mommys tummy with the others. No interest in eatting. It did seem like some type of fluid was came out of her mouth a little bit.

Silverfrost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Aw, sweet baby. Keep her warm and love her.
I have been giving her tons of love. She seems to really want her mommy. The mom and the kittens are in a double cage together with plenty of room. The tiny wimpers seem to die down a little bit when mom goes back in. I wish she was able to eat off her mom. She never has been able to. Ive tied countless times to get her to latch. I almost feel like it has to do something with her being an extreme flat face. Mabe her sinus didn't develop all the way since she was the runt and it was only a matter of time of her chocking on the milk.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me tell you about the pup that we nursed back to health. Maybe that'll give some insight.

We named him "Reject." That was back in the 1970's... What can I say? :dunno:

Reject wouldn't eat by himself. He was weak. After a while, the mother started to refuse to feed him, hence, the name.
When we tried to bottle or syringe feed him, puppy formula came out his nose and mouth. He wasn't gaining weight and became sickly.

I remember that a woman came over from the vet's office, I presume, and showed us how to tube feed him.
She wrapped him up in a towel, threaded a piece of surgical tubing, several inches long, into his mouth and down his esophagus, then used a large syringe to pump a measured amount of special puppy formula into his stomach. She took him back to the vet clinic for a few days so that he could sleep in a warm incubator and get around-the-clock care.

Reject did, eventually, come home, he grew up normally and he caught up to all the other pups in growth, none the worse for the wear. He did find a home like all the others. My father kept tabs on most of his pups. It would have been in his best interest to be sure that people were satisfied with the dogs that they paid good money for. I do remember my father telling us that Reject was happy and cared for in his new home.

Yes! He did get a new name. I wish I could remember what it was.
He had a sister that we named "Dot" because she had a brown spot on her forehead. I remember that Dot's new human named her "Duchess" and us kids were sad that her name got changed but when we found out that her formal, registered name was "Duchess of Tara" (a back-acronym for "D.O.T.") we were happy again.
"The Puppy Formerly Known as Reject" went to a different home than Duchess and I don't remember what my dad said hie new name was.

Anyhow, I can't tell you much more than that. It was a long time ago.
But, yes, I do know that fading puppies can be nursed back to health. By extension, it should be possible to nurse your kitten back to health, too. I want to remain optimistic but I can make no guarantees.

Just keep on taking care of the kitten, making her comfortable and doing your best.
That's all that we can ask for. Right? :)

Silverfrost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My CFA persian cat had a litter of kittens. All healthy. Three of them. One is the runt though. Health slowly declined as I saw she did not eat from the mom. I stepped in and started to bottle feed her. Everytime she would eat no matter what, milk would come out the nose. She got all locked up after eatting yesterday night and I had to give her cpr to bring her back. I took her into the vet as an emergency visit. He said she checked out to be fine. All we did is watch her walk around and squeak. I took her home and the swelling in one of her eyes never went down. It almost seems popped out but her eyes have not opend yet. No blood or anything. I was able to keep her alive all day today but she has slowly eatten less and less and now she will not even try. She is continuing to softly push out a repetitive squeak each time she takes a breath. She stopped breathing a couple of times and I had to pat her upside down to make her path clear again. I called around to other vets to try and see what could be happening and how to prevent it. They just said to bring her in of course. I already spent 200 on a kitty who probably wont make it. Hopefully when I check on her next she is alright. Is there anything elce I can do for her?
Update. She is now currently not able to breath much at all. No use in trying to feed her this time. She can take an gasp of air in fast but she cant let it out. She pushes the air out making a tiny wimper. Its really hard for her to push the air out. I wish I had someone to help me because she has been unable to breath well now for hours. I can tell the poor thing is suffering and at an end. I wish the vet knew more about baby kittens than I did. If I had a feeding tube I would have tried it. The vet told me to stay with syringe feeding and to let the kitten suck it out on her own. Any kitten would chock on the milk if you let them suck it out on their own. They eat it way to fast. Tube feeding she wouldn't have had to swallow. I feel like maybe her windpipe has somehow collapsed.

Silverfrost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let me tell you about the pup that we nursed back to health. Maybe that'll give some insight.

We named him "Reject." That was back in the 1970's... What can I say? :dunno:

Reject wouldn't eat by himself. He was weak. After a while, the mother started to refuse to feed him, hence, the name.
When we tried to bottle or syringe feed him, puppy formula came out his nose and mouth. He wasn't gaining weight and became sickly.

I remember that a woman came over from the vet's office, I presume, and showed us how to tube feed him.
She wrapped him up in a towel, threaded a piece of surgical tubing, several inches long, into his mouth and down his esophagus, then used a large syringe to pump a measured amount of special puppy formula into his stomach. She took him back to the vet clinic for a few days so that he could sleep in a warm incubator and get around-the-clock care.

Reject did, eventually, come home, he grew up normally and he caught up to all the other pups in growth, none the worse for the wear. He did find a home like all the others. My father kept tabs on most of his pups. It would have been in his best interest to be sure that people were satisfied with the dogs that they paid good money for. I do remember my father telling us that Reject was happy and cared for in his new home.

Yes! He did get a new name. I wish I could remember what it was.
He had a sister that we named "Dot" because she had a brown spot on her forehead. I remember that Dot's new human named her "Duchess" and us kids were sad that her name got changed but when we found out that her formal, registered name was "Duchess of Tara" (a back-acronym for "D.O.T.") we were happy again.
"The Puppy Formerly Known as Reject" went to a different home than Duchess and I don't remember what my dad said hie new name was.

Anyhow, I can't tell you much more than that. It was a long time ago.
But, yes, I do know that fading puppies can be nursed back to health. By extension, it should be possible to nurse your kitten back to health, too. I want to remain optimistic but I can make no guarantees.

Just keep on taking care of the kitten, making her comfortable and doing your best.
That's all that we can ask for. Right? :)
I wish I had the proper tools. I would try to save her even more. The only thing I could do is other than tapping is to suck out her nose a little bit. It didn't help. Something else is wrong like collapsed Trachea. It would be from her first chocking on the milk last night. Slowly got worse?

Silverfrost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wish I had the proper tools. I would try to save her even more. The only thing I could do is other than tapping is to suck out her nose a little bit. It didn't help. Something else is wrong like collapsed Trachea. It would be from her first chocking on the milk last night. Slowly got worse?
I am happy to hear the story of your puppies. It does bring light to the situation. Thank you :)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or, maybe, her epiglottis that's weak or malformed.
(That flap of tissue that creates a kind of trap door which separates the esophagus and the trachea. (A.K.A.: stomach pipe and windpipe.)

If you try to feed her but formula goes in her mouth and out her nose, it would seem to me that there might be some problem that's causing fluid to back up and go the wrong way. The muscles in the esophagus, trachea or epiglottis, etc. might not be working correctly. This could also explain the wheezing when she breathes.

I don't know, really. Just guessing.
But I also guess that tube feeding might help her get enough sustenance to keep her going long enough so that she can get strong enough to eat on her own.

Silverfrost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Or, maybe, her epiglottis that's weak or malformed.
(That flap of tissue that creates a kind of trap door which separates the esophagus and the trachea. (A.K.A.: stomach pipe and windpipe.)

If you try to feed her but formula goes in her mouth and out her nose, it would seem to me that there might be some problem that's causing fluid to back up and go the wrong way. The muscles in the esophagus, trachea or epiglottis, etc. might not be working correctly. This could also explain the wheezing when she breathes.

I don't know, really. Just guessing.
But I also guess that tube feeding might help her get enough sustenance to keep her going long enough so that she can get strong enough to eat on her own.
She definitely could have went with tube feeding. That would have avoided the whole issue with her weezing in the first place. Tube feeding sounds so much better for the kittens. I am not sure why my looked down on it and didn't give me supplies. I don't think he knows much about kittens anyways. The last phone call with hin he pretty much said there was nothing he could do and she was fine. I am sure if he looked a little bit harder he would have seen milk in her lungs. How would a vet even get the milk out? An current update on her. She passed away an hour ago. She made it for some time but I wish more could have been done.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So very sorry But she had you fighting to help her all the way. I’m sure she could feel the love Bless you!

Silverfrost

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor darling babycat, RIP sweetheart!

On a more positive note, how is the rest of the family?
The rest of the kittens are great. Only two of them now. We started with 4 but one was way to big for my Persian to pass and died on the way out. I almost had to take her in because it was stuck for a good half hour. Her other two kittens though. They are so fat fat and fluffy. They just opend the eyes today! One is all white like mom and the other silver like dad. They are both girls.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She definitely could have went with tube feeding. That would have avoided the whole issue with her weezing in the first place. Tube feeding sounds so much better for the kittens. I am not sure why my looked down on it and didn't give me supplies. I don't think he knows much about kittens anyways. The last phone call with hin he pretty much said there was nothing he could do and she was fine. I am sure if he looked a little bit harder he would have seen milk in her lungs. How would a vet even get the milk out? An current update on her. She passed away an hour ago. She made it for some time but I wish more could have been done.
Im sorry.

You were in her corner all the way.

She was a fighter.

It was her time.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry you lost your kitten. 😢

I know that you did everything everything you could.
Sometimes these things just happen. I think she was just too weak from the beginning.

You have two healthy kittens and now you and the mother can have more time and energy to support them so they can grow up big and strong. :)