Week 9 ish: What is Your Irrational Fear?

fatkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure any of my fears are irrational, really. Fears of family dying, break ins (there's been some suspicious activity in our neighborhood this week, actually), etc are things that really can happen. My hugest fear is myself or my husband dying in a car accident. Even huger than that (which would now make THIS my hugest fear), is that both of us would die in a car accident at the same time. Any time we are out together, and we have one of those "near misses" where you *almost* have an accident, the whole thing goes over and over in my head and I worry about our little girl.
I'm afraid of my dogs getting loose, but that's happened before so it's not irrational either.

Clowns creep me out a little but I don't mind being around them. I don't like spiders but I don't have a problem with hunting the little monsters down and killing them.

I guess I do have some irrational fears. I'm petrified of bodies of water larger than a bathtub. If I'm *sure* my head will NOT go under water, I'm ok. But if I have any doubts, I'm NOT going in the water. I don't know how to swim (I can do a little clumsy dog paddle though), and when I was 7, we were playing in the river and some idiot come up and pulled my feet out from under me. I can still remember opening my eyes while I was under water and now the thought of water going over my head scares the crap outta me. Ugh, gotta change the subject, I can hear the water going in my ears!
I have never been on an airplane, but I'm scared to death of them. I know that millions of people fly every day, with no problems. BUT when there's an accident, most of the people involved die. So I know that if I'm on a plane and it crashes, I have almost no chance of surviving.
Rollercoasters are another that I forgot about until someone mentioned Cedar Point. I live like 2 hours from there, and I've never been there. When I was a kid, they had this Dragon Rollercoaster kiddy ride at the fair. I didn't want to go on it, but my mom said my sister couldn't go without me and talked me into it. It scared the living daylights out of me, and it was just an oval track that went maybe 6 feet high at the higest point. From that point on, I will not even consider a rollercoaster. I had about a dozen opportunities to go to Cedar Point for school trips and stuff, and I never once even considered going. I was so mad my Senior year in high school. The senior trip was going to be to some sort of nature park/garden thing and it sounded like it was going to be so cool. I didn't really have a desire to be around my classmates (which is why I went to a vocational school my Jr and Sr year!) but I really wanted to go on that trip. Then I get a notice saying the trip was rescheduled, to freaking Cedar Point! That's not SPECIAL when you live so close to it and can go just about every year if you want! I was sooooooo mad about that! And no, I didn't go!

I think that's about it, though.

Amber

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All insects in the "scary" category (as defined by me). This includes, but is not limited to, spiders, scorpions, bees, earwigs, scorpions, fire ants, and unidentifiable insects (usually run across when I'm traveling to an unfamiliar area of the country). These should not be confused with bugs that are meerly "creepy" such as roaches and ugly moths or those that are in the "kinda cute" category with like ladybugs, fireflies, and butterflies.

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm irrationally afraid of escalators, not riding on them just getting on in the down direction. Once I am on, I am good.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm another Spider scardey cat!! We get huge hairy gross ones!!! They bite me too all time! i hate it they freak me right out!! I can't throw the garbage out once it's warm out either! Hubby has to, cus they are on the garbage can.

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems I am one of quite of few spider-scardies. But I am absolutely insane about it. I cant even look at them on tv or I will be having nightmares about them crawling on me and wake up and shake out the bedcovers! I also am very scared of not being in control of my life, and of Conner being hurt or getting out and being lost (After that scare of him getting lost for a day and me falling into a complete wreck, I guess that one's based on reality!)

I have a friend who has a phobia of people touching her face. No one can, not even her spouse. She doesnt even touch it unless she's washing it. She's scared of germs getting on her face. BUT, she doesnt mind if the pets lick or touch it,,,,only humans. She's weird, I know, lol.

Conner has irrational fears of inanimate objects, lol. I was telling a friend about how he hisses at the vaccuum cleaner, they said that was normal, tons of cats do that. Well, yeah, but Conner hisses at it when it's off! ha-ha! He also hisses at the broom or any large inanimate object that is moving.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lizch6699

I have a problem with odd numbers lol. I can't have my volume on the T.V on an odd number unless it's a multiple of 5. I think it's because I used to count a lot when I was a kid though by 2's and 5's and 10's. Plus if you were to count by an odd number you always end up with an even number (3,6,9,12) but when you count by evens you always get evens. So I think I logically assumed evens trumped over odds
OH MY GOSH I DO THE EXACT SAME THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean I even get OCD about it...checking to see if I locked the door, the plugs are secure in the wall, the stove is off, multiple times---but in even numbers!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lakeriedog

I'm irrationally afraid of escalators, not riding on them just getting on in the down direction. Once I am on, I am good.
When I was a kid, I used to think I could get shredded in the escalator.

xangelicxnekox

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Two of my biggest fears is getting water in my ears.
I had many earaches as a child so Im very sensitive about my ears.
I don't like anything except my finger or a q-tip in my ears.
The other is swallowing pills. I just can't do it! I kepp gettin scared I'll choke!

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by goosehazel

My other irrational fear is drive through car washes. I'm afraid of getting stuck inside.
Awwww...
I remember when my sister was 2 and she was scared of automatic car washes. It was so cute!

thecatsmeow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My greatgrandmother, me, and now my lil sis, all have the same exact fear of toilets. And no-one knows why or how to get rid of it....

It takes me forever to get used to my HOME toilet. We've had our new toilet for about 3 months now, and it still scares me. I can't walk by the toilet department at Home Depot...

Automatic toilets are the worst, and when we're out in public places, i'll hold it until we get home..sometimes it's about 5-6 hours...

but amazingly, I don't get bladder infections...

*shrug*

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by goosehazel

Yeah, not so cute when you're 29, just weird
No, it's still cute!
Originally Posted by TheCatsMeow

My greatgrandmother, me, and now my lil sis, all have the same exact fear of toilets. And no-one knows why or how to get rid of it....

It takes me forever to get used to my HOME toilet. We've had our new toilet for about 3 months now, and it still scares me. I can't walk by the toilet department at Home Depot...

Automatic toilets are the worst, and when we're out in public places, i'll hold it until we get home..sometimes it's about 5-6 hours...

but amazingly, I don't get bladder infections...

*shrug*
Another unique fear I've never heard of.

thecatsmeow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe

Another unique fear I've never heard of.
ha...No-ones ever heard of it. I don't know what the deal is. My sister makes me or my mom go in the restroom with her.

And it's weird, because when I'm with her, I'm the big sis gonna protect her from the mean potty. But i'm scared (haha) of them

My heart starts beating really fast, and I feel a chill down my back but I feel like i'm sweating at the same time...I mean I KNOW nothing is gonna happen, but i can't control it.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remembered another irrational fear the other night after posing this question with friends!

I have such a fear of dark oak beds, especially when they are antique and have a foot board as well as a head board! I fear that someone died in it!

When I was on the French Exchange, I was provided with a room with an antique dark oak bed with head and foot boards!
I had to sleep with my socks (of which I do not like to wear!) on so that I wouldn't touch the wood and kept curled up in the middle of the bed!

I can laugh now, but it really does scare me!!

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remembered another one while driving to work this morning...

I'm afraid of driving behind those big car-carrier trucks on the expressway. I'm just positive the one dangling off the back is going to cut loose and come crashing through my windshield. I'll go out of my way to avoid being behind one, and if I get stuck behind one in traffic, I'll leave a L O T of space between me and it.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say my only fear is riding on those carnival rides that flips you upside down real fast in a small cage that fits only 2 people. My stomach turns just watching those things or even thinking about it when someone asks me to go on one. EEEK!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TheCatsMeow

My heart starts beating really fast, and I feel a chill down my back but I feel like i'm sweating at the same time...I mean I KNOW nothing is gonna happen, but i can't control it.
That's what happens to me with plants!