Week 0 kitten eyes closed with puffy eye is it infected?

Cadycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this baby kitten was found by a customer at Trader Joe’s who was on her way to take it to the humane society who would have to euthanize it due to its young age and lack of caregivers, I couldn’t bare that so I decided to save and care for it since I bottle fed my other cat.

TJ the 5 day old kitten now seems to be doing well and thriving but its left closed eye is puffy, does this look normal or do you think its something I should be worried about? I’m worried that it’s infected and any fluids forming can’t escape.

photos attached
Milky face photo is 2 days ago 3/29
A01EB324-7BAB-4EF0-97CA-9B032399043B.jpeg

today 3/31
73833886-65ED-4AA7-9BBE-919E47EBF605.jpeg
42F025F6-4D8D-41F3-A865-F3BB579E93AA.jpeg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it looks like an infection. To t6reat a kitten that young with an antibiotic (which it needs) I would get a vet that has treated young kittens before, call around. a kitten that young is tricky to treat, but it can be done, it will most likely die or go blind if left untreated. Ill pray for that sweet little one......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cadycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You're welcome! I'm so sorry. I hope that the kitten can be treated. Do you if he/she have a fever? A fever means that the kitten is fighting an infection. If the kitten is warm, that'll tell you if it's an infection and that he/she is fighting the infection (which is good). Prayers for you and the kitten. 🙏

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ALL kittens can be treated no matter how young. You’re right to find a cats only vet. In the meantime, apply a warm, damp compress to the eye and ask for Terramycin. It’s a triple antibiotic eye ointment that when applied will treat an eye infection if rubbed on 3 times per day with warm compresses in between. This kitten’s eye should open soon if treated properly and there should be no damage to the eye. Please keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cadycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your help I took her in and found out that she is most likely a female Siamese and they prescribed the terramycin. I’ve been doing the warm compresses and the eye is already less inflamed. Glad that I went with my gut that it wasn't normal and found this page. I was initially planning on fostering her until she was old enough and fully litter box trained but we’ve named her Sesame and my list of requirements to adopt her have now grown even more so. 😂 thank you again just so so happy she didn’t end up at the humane society and that she gets a well deserved chance at life. I’ll keep you all posted and add a few photos as she progresses and opens her eyes. 😊