Wednesday's Question of the Day: your cats

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning Friends! 

I just fed the 3 cats, cleaned the litter box, cleaned out the water fountain, and washed the extra cat dishes. Next week they are all going to the vet for their checkups and I need to buy more cat food today. I don't think I ever want to have more than 3, not only because of the expense, but the time involved plus having enough one-on-one time with each animal. So I'm wondering...

Do you take care of all your pets' needs (including ferals), or does someone else help out? What's the most number of cats you can take care of without feeling maxed out? 

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes I take care of all of my cat's needs/wants. The only part I don't really care for is when I have to rush home to feed her (she throws up if she hasn't eaten within 10 to 12 hours) when I could/should run an errand or two.
I am co-taker of a feral/stray/dumped cat colony, 30 minutes from where I now live. My co-taker feeds them twice during the work week, and I fed them on the weekend. It is from this colony that I removed a cat (limping) and fostered for several months, later returned to the colony.
I could probably handle another cat without feeling maxed out. I have and would get additional pet insurance. I would love to adopt another cat, one with a different personality than Ritz. But based on my experience with fostering a very mellow, sweet cat for three months, Ritz would say otherwise.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My partner and I share in caring for our 2 cats.  He is the one that usually cleans the boxes because I have problems bending, but I certainly will scoop if I notice it needs it.  We both feed them, me in the mornings and him in the evenings due to our schedules.  Weekends are whomever.  I am the financial person, all the expenses are my responsibility since he's been in and out of work and, is going back to school shortly (yay!).  Both of us give them play and cuddle time. We both groom them when needed although I tend to remember more often. Vet visits mean we are both there - it's good to have 2 sets of ears to make sure you heard everything right.

We've settled on having 2, although a third would be lovely.  We have a fairly small house and as I've mentioned before there literally is not another good place for a 3rd litterbox - so that's a big issue.  Plus, I know adding a 3rd would not be a wise move fiscally for me.  The time involved is minimal - it doesn't even come into the equation.  

Two is a good number of our lifestyle.  I'm very happy we decided to adopt the second one last year.  But that's it.  I'd rather send whatever extra money I can scrape up to local shelters and such to make sure other kitties get a good home that is suitable for them.

Last edited:

barbh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I take care of all of my cats needs, cleaning the litter boxes, feeding, playing and cuddling. At this time I have 4 cats, 2 adults and 2 kittens which is my max. When it is time for my older boy to go to the rainbow bridge, I will keep the number to just the 3 that I have, they will keep me plenty busy :D

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l'm alone so l guess l'm the cat caretaker. Currently, there are 3 cats and a dog - the dog being the oldest of the bunch. Once any of them passes, there will be no more pets added due to my age - l couldn't bear the thought of leaving any behind, although l have made arrangements in case this happens. l'm about at my limit now with the 4, especially financially, it costs a lot to feed and vet 4 animals, even when they're healthy. Historically, l've had a strong preference for having only 2 cats and no dog 
 but l'm loving my current brood, their interactions, bonds, and hierarchy. They work well together and are fun to be around.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only one cat and that's because I can only afford one.  I mostly live alone and take care of Autumn with my SS and Pension.  She is very well fed and goes to the vet and has plenty of  toys.  She gets lots of lovin' and she seems to be a happy kitty but also a brat.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We have seven indoor cats. I say "We" because it's Rick and me. He feeds them more often than I do, he does breakfast for them so I can get on the elliptical. And he gets home from work before I do, so he gives them dinner, too. But I do the second breakfast and the second (and third) dinners. And the before-bedtime feeding. And any snacks that they get.

Rick also does the primary litter box cleanings on Wednesdays for the trash on Thursday morning. I help, but he does most of them. OTOH, I do all the scooping throughout the week. And I'm pretty much the one who brushes them at night. We work together to clip claws and to clean Tabby's ears. 

I'm maxed out with the cats at this point. Don't get me wrong, I love them. But seven is too many for me to handle, both financially and emotionally. All it would take is one really expensive vet visit and I don't know what we'd do at that point. Well, obviously we'd do what we could to save the cat and we do have money set aside for something big, should it occur, but boy, it would be still be rough. And when Molli and Muffin go at it (and they still do), it's getting harder to deal with, because it's constant. It just never stops and I'm really getting tired of it. Bootser is still going on her early morning screaming binges, too. I think our house is too small for seven cats.

At this point, there will be no more cats entering our house. (Of course, we said that with Molli and then said it again with Tabby and then said it again when I brought Muffin inside from my mother's place. To be honest, we're both a little surprised that we made it through this past summer without a new kitty family member....that's the first time in 3 years.)

Last edited:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Since I live alone with my two cats, I do everything for them. I could probably do 3 cats, but with my apartment restrictions, two's it.

Occasionally if my mom happens to go to Trader Joes' with me, she buys the cat food. Otherwise, I buy them all. 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
With just one indoor cat here, there's not a lot to do. I'm completely responsible for the litter box, vet visits, grooming as well as buying food and supplies. Play and clicker sessions are also my job. My husband feeds Mogli breakfast when he gets up before I do (that depends on his work schedule, but it usually works out to 50:50) and gives him his lunchtime snack 3 - 4 times a week. I give him his dinner and bedtime snack every day.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have 2 and share the duties.  DH is allergic so 2 really should be our limit.  Especially since they don't get to come into our bedroom.  DH does the litter box when he does the trash.  I feed in the evenings, he feeds in the mornings.  Any grooming is done by me.  Who cleans the water fountain varies; sometimes he starts it soaking and I'll finish scrubbing or one of us does it all. 

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try as I might, these 3 cats simply refuse to help with duties. No other humans, so I do it all.

procat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One indoor cat - I'm the sole caretaker.

Five ferals - A somewhat disorganized neighborhood effort, but I'm the primary food source.

chibinekochan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have one little devil indoors, he counts for several ones though! I often thought of adopting at least one more, but I fear for the poor things - he's quite  the biter! I wouldn't mind having a bunch, there's an abundance of love to go around! It'll be quite difficult, I understand, the funds are low, the house is small and the work would be more, maybe I'll adopt another one once he's older and calmer, definately I'll adopt one more once(and if) my funds get better! 

thelifeofzeus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sister does most of the work, but I always make sure there is a fresh bowl of water and food. I play with the psycho kitten, wear him down, and sister gets all the spoils.. as in cuddles.

We could probably manage two atm.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do all the work as far as the litterbox. My husband will fill the dry food dishes, but doesn't mess with the wet food. I am particular about how everything is done, so I cannot blame him for not helping more...and he is allowed to vacuum, lol!
We used to feed strays until we moved about 8 months ago. We tend to acquire cats, so we decided that for now I am not allowed to take care of any strays or ferals:(
We rent and have 5 indoor cats, (3 of which were strays we fed) and potential landlords are not thrilled. We hope to buy a house in the next few years and then we will be able to resume caring for all the cats who cruise through our yard. I'd also like to look into fostering when we own a house.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Just my two and I do everything as there's just me.    I have a tiny house and it doubles as a yoga school, so two really is my maximum.  They're indoor cats with an outdoor enclosure.

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since my husband and I are staying with my parents there are 7 cats between us lol. 4 are my parents and 3 are mine. I give meds to whoever needs them and keep a general eye on behavior and health issues, my mom feeds some of them where as my husband and I feed others. My sister, husband and I take turns with litter boxes and everyone gives them love and attention.

When we had 6 kittens to take care of I did most of the work and my husband would help. I'd weigh them and he'd write the weights down and would help keep an eye on them when I'd change the nest bedding. It's nice having others to help with the cats. Nobody wants to help with my tarantulas though -___-

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am the primary caregiver but husband will help if I need it.  I try to not ask except if sick.  Back has been issue lately so I buy stuff and he unloads the car/brings up the 40 lbs of litter. 

Number depends on the bunch as if 2 want to kill each other 2 can be an issue.  I have very little issue with my current bunch but one cat HATES the outside/sometimes inside cat so I have to be careful.  And another cat likes her space from some of the others.  Other wise they get along great with very few issues. Probably around 15 would make me feel better-mainly for the vet funds.  Physically I would be MUCH better if all the litter boxes were on the first floor but I do not feel that is fair to cats.  I could have all the boxes down stairs but I feel the cats should be able to have some seperation-and I can see it helps as there are cats who do not go upstairs much and it tends to work out well.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Because I am allergic to cats, we stick to one. We could easily care for more.

My husband normally takes care of the litterboxes, although I do once in a while. Whoever gets up first in the morning feeds her. Either of us feed her at night. I am the vet taker, food buyer, claw clipper, medicine giver, etc.