Wednesday's Question of the Day: wearing makeup

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you wear makeup every day?

It's funny but growing up in Texas I got used to wearing makeup all the time. I don't think many Texas women will even run to the store for an item without at least some makeup on their faces.

Things seem a lot more relaxed around here, my sister in Seattle said women there don't wear much makeup, either. These days, unless I'm dressing up (or meeting someone I know) I don't wear much if any makeup at all. I'm thinking strangers don't really care. 

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to wear makeup everyday. When I worked in a lab around a lot of chemicals, I stopped (I was told that formalin and makeup is a bad idea). I wear it a few times a month now; I've gotten pretty lazy.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never. I have some sensory issues, which means that when I wear makeup I can feel every single molecule TOUCHING ME :lol3:. And I can only stand that for a short time. I used to wear makeup for special occasions but now I've decided that, simply put, I am a person who does not wear makeup.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I wear it to work or for social occasions, but generally not around the house.Every cat (and dog) we've had (has) quickly made the association between "Mommy's putting on makeup!" and "Mommy's going out and leaving me!" :lol3:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I only wear eyeliner (since I look ill without them!). If I am out on an occasion or date, I'll spruce up more with foundation, blush, eyeshadow and liner. I have a hard time with mascara, so rarely ever wear that.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to.  Not a full face; but eye shadow, eye liner and mascara.  I don't feel like I look "awake" without it.  The problem is that I inherited the oily skin and toward the end of the day it makes the makeup run into my eyes and that burns A LOT!  It happens even when I'm not wearing make-up; but to a lesser degree.  So on days we don't plan to go out; like today, I wear none.  Some days I'll put on just the eye liner and mascara at home.  I tend to stick to athletic pants and casual shirts at home; but I like to look a little more presentable for my husband to come home to.  I feel a little better about me when I've taken the time to do it too. 

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I wore make up every day when I was working.  Now that I'm retired I only wear it when I go out of the house, if I'm staying in I just wear moisturizer daily.  I wear everything from foundation to shadow, blush, eyeliner and mascara.  I wear smokey eyes quite often esp. when going to dinner.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Years ago, I wore it every day but not to excess.  Now, never.  Ever.  In fact, none of the woman in my office do, or so little it's not noticeable.  I think there is a trend towards not using it anymore, at least in the NYC area.  So many young women I see on the subway, of all types, don't bother.

thevegancuddler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wear it most of the time when I go out. I don't feel like I NEED it, or insecure without it. It just makes me feel good. I'm really into fashion, and it's an extension of my self-expression. But, like I said, I don't feel ugly or like I can't leave the house without it. I just really enjoy it.

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i used to wear it when i worked, just eyeshadow & mascara, never full make-up. now only on special occasions, like a concert or dinner at a fancy place

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I typically only wear mascara because I have light eyelashes. I've never liked foundation or powder. I sometimes wear eye shadow and lip gloss if I'm going out, but that's pretty much it.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wear makeup maybe once a year. I have sensitive skin and makeup really bothers me. I hardly even own any makeup. I keep getting free samples or winning makeup, but I always give them to my mom and sister.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Around home none, if I need to be professional or look 'special', yes.  It's very natural looking, never 'done', but it certainly makes me more presentable.  For special occasions, and the more special, the more there is to the process (there are tricks to making it stay put and last long).  I don't have many special occasions though, so most often I'm just getting ready for a night of dancing- so I definitely get done up, but mainly eyes.  A full foundation is pretty rare - weddings and performing only.

If I'm performing (dancer), oh my, now that is a totally different rigmarole, starting around 5 days prior with extensive exfoliation, DARK spray tan, and then on the day, the whole stage face - using a separate set of make-up stuff as I'm darker, and it aint a 'natural' effect!  It's finished off with fake eyelashes (hate those things, but essential on stage), and a spray of the face to set it against sweat with....hairspray!  I've ended up in hospital shortly after a performance before, and that was quite amusing!  I felt I should warn them that I was highly flammable given the amount of stuff in my hair, as they tucked all those abundant curls into a cap ahead of surgery!  (At least they admired it!)

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At home, I don't wear much other then gloss. I usually don't wear much in the summer either, just lipstick and maybe mascara on occasion.

In the winter though (Since I get really pale, and skin is sensitive to the cold/ Can get very dry - moisterizing, exfoliating routines etc to go along with care too) I'll put on bb cream, blush and lipstick everytime I go out, wherever I go. And again, mascara once in awhile. Just to put some colour on my face
  a tad more polished and pop, and don't have to look like a tired ghost.

All seasons, I put facial sunscreen on my face and neck.

When it is stage time, along with the pointe shoes, hair all done up and costume, I put on the eyeliner, white/brown eyeshadow, mascara, foundation, blush and lipstick.

Detailed performance makeup is the only makeup I'm really good at. When it comes to everyday fashion makeup, I am not very good with eyeliner or eyeshadow...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely! It may just be a Southern thing, but most women around here don't leave the house without their makeup on and hair done. I feel much more put together when I have makeup on, and love to be tastefully creative with it! It's like an art form to me! I blog and review products from different companies, so to me, makeup is fun, and it's great trying out new products. I love experimenting with different brushes and application techniques as well.

That being said, proper skincare is more important to me. I take care of my skin; I'm just as comfortable going out in public without makeup, as I am with it. For me, it's a hobby and something I enjoy. I love creating new looks and providing informative reviews on the products I enjoy/dislike.

(For those of you concerned about chemicals, there are plenty of well-established eco-friendly brands that have terrific products. There is a lot more variety now than there used to be.)

Last edited:

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm 50/50 and only use eyeliner and mascara, I rarely put on eyeshadow. I'm lucky enough to not need any concealer which i hate anyway lol, I also never wear anything on my lips.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
No. I moisturize constantly and won't go outside without moisturizer.  But no makeup. I don't have time to hassle with it in the morning with everything else that needs to be done. And the last thing I need when I'm out walking is makeup sweating down my face.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only really wear it if im going out with friends I dont bother if im just popping out to the shops with blaine, and dont bother if im going out to my mams or out with my brothers, I seem less dead when im wearing it though, it will be going on tonight when I go out for coffee with my friends but it didnt go on last night whenI went shopping I figure to if they dont know me they wont care haha