Wednesday's Question of the Day: online shopping?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you buy anything or many things online? Is it out of necessity or would you rather shop the other way?

Shopping is pretty pathetic on this island, so I order most things for the house, and also electronics and most gifts, online. I try to order Canadian because it's way cheaper and faster, but international shipping works if you allow 4-6 weeks. If it's needed by a particular time, it has to be ordered six weeks in advance to be sure it's here. I've already done all my Christmas shopping - sounds like I'm so early but I waited untill the last minute.

I'm actually kind of surprised I don't order groceries online any more but the store but is so close I feel guilty for not walking there.

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Both. I never did much online shopping until I came down with a nasty bout of sciatica several years ago and I couldn't walk. That lasted for about six weeks and it was right around Christmas. The only way people were going to get anything from me during that time is if I shopped online.

It broke the ice for me, so to speak, and since then, I shop both ways.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I've never bought groceries online.  I'm not even sure that it's very common in Australia.

I buy things that are difficult to locate as well as books and some supplements online.

I much prefer to go out and shop.  I like the personal interaction and supporting local business.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never bought groceries online.  I'm not even sure that it's very common in Australia.
Oh it's brilliant!!. You can add or delete items right up until the early hours of the day it gets delivered.

I hate grocery shopping with the queues, and this gets delivered to my door in their bags

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not much for online shopping - if I can't find it locally, I don't need it and I am pretty suspicious of those supposedly secure sites. I cannot envision grocery shopping online - while I don't LIKE shopping, I am not gong to trust some stranger to pick out suitable cuts of meat, good fruit and veg' besides, it would cost more to have the stuff delivered way out into the middle of nowhere than the actual purchase

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shop online all the time. Nothing like shopping in your jammies from the comfort of your easy chair. :nod: And if you have mobility issues like I do, it's very helpful.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shop online a ton. Not everything---I have no idea if I can order groceries online or even if the local store delivers at all---but a lot. I have 5 orders on the way right now :lol3:. Oops, actually I got one yesterday so 4. Hopefully 2 will come today. I used to order from catalogs by phone or mail before internet shopping was a thing, so it's just another method of catalog ordering to me.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I shop online all the time, for pretty much everything except groceries and stuff we get at the local health food store. I have no idea if online grocery shopping is available here, and I wouldn't use that as an option if it was. There are never long lines in our local stores, and I like to pick out my own meat, fruits and veggies and stuff. :nod:

I do like shopping at the locally owned shops for books and gifts. :nod:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I do a lot more shopping online than at brick-and-mortar stores. Stores are closed here on Sundays, and that's about the only time I have to shop.

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never shopped on line, and still have a fear of putting a credit card number in. Couldn't imagine grocery shopping on line. I like to see the items I buy.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love shopping online.  I love shopping period. 
  I could spend all day in Barnes & Noble.  Sometimes DH and I go and pick out one book each.  We have the best time.  I order some specific food items online (right now I am waiting for four jars of pickles), but I go to the grocery store to buy groceries in general.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coles and Woolies both do it, not sure it's that common though and really the delivery fee isn't worth it for many with a supermarket nearby. I also like selecting my own products, I go to a local fruit shop and butcher too so wouldn't be saving much time since I have to go out anyway to complete the shopping. 

Pretty much everything except groceries and some clothing I do online, I hate shopping centres. Most cat stuff is easier and cheaper to get online too.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Coles and Woolies both do it, not sure it's that common though and really the delivery fee isn't worth it for many with a supermarket nearby. I also like selecting my own products, I go to a local fruit shop and butcher too so wouldn't be saving much time since I have to go out anyway to complete the shopping. 

Pretty much everything except groceries and some clothing I do online, I hate shopping centres. Most cat stuff is easier and cheaper to get online too.
I don't even do Coles and Woolies... I dislike how they are creating a monopoly.  When they see a product work they copy it, make it their generic brand, and ditch the original company, after that company has spent thousands to jump through all the hoops they've insisted on for them to carry the product (I had a friend who went bankrupt from this).  And they squeeze the life out of farmers. I dislike shopping centres too, as the rent is so expensive, they're just full of all the same big companies.

I use local grocery stores and markets for the essentials.  When I buy clothes/gifts online, I always check out Etsy

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't even do Coles and Woolies... I dislike how they are creating a monopoly.  When they see a product work they copy it, make it their generic brand, and ditch the original company, after that company has spent thousands to jump through all the hoops they've insisted on for them to carry the product (I had a friend who went bankrupt from this).  And they squeeze the life out of farmers.
Couldn't agree more, and I'm sure there are many in the country who also agree. So sorry to hear about your friend, happens far too often.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ebay is my main place.  I got a bunch of dog toys for alot less then in store cost.  I know shoprite does in store pick up and delivery but never would use it unless I had no other choice.  I don't overly enjoy the store but do like to get out and get my own groceries/examine different items in hand.  Even my online shopping I tend to browse the store for ideas of what I want first

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do a fair amount online.  Not groceries though.  That is my weekly alone time with my DD.  She was sick one week so I left her home with DH...it was actually lonely not having her to talk to. 

I like reading reviews for things online and price comparing between websites.  I make a spreadsheet for Christmas every year to track what I am interested in purchasing and where I can get it for the best price and what not.  It helps me not go overboard too.

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I never shop online(have in the past). To chicken I guess with all the identity theft out there. My pastor is dealing with identity theft right now. Things are a mess for him!

venuskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most of my gifts come from the 'net, especially the ones that I personalize with photos and such. In store they usually only have one kiosk and they don't have my hard drive (with thousands of saved images over YEARS), so it is much easier. Plus if I want to surprise the recipient, or they live far away, I can have it sent directly to them.

I live literally right behind my grocery store and I like the employees there, so I wouldn't order my groceries online for delivery, but I have ordered my prescription refills from their pharmacy page to pick up in person later, since that saves me time.

Oh, and I prefer to order pizzas online instead of over the phone. No real reason.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never shop online(have in the past). To chicken I guess with all the identity theft out there. My pastor is dealing with identity theft right now. Things are a mess for him!
My dad recently had to deal with identity theft, and he never orders online (or not with his info, at least; he always has my mom order it for him :tongue2:). If you exist, your info is out there and there's just as much chance of someone stealing it whether you order online or not :dk:.