Wednesday's Question of the Day: dumb things people say

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy Wednesday everyone! 

Due to "improvements" made to the telephone lines in our area, our land line went out yesterday. I submitted a repair request and an appointment was made for repair this morning. At the end of the chat, the other person asked me,

"If we can fix the problem on this end before morning, how can we reach you to cancel the appointment?"

I suggested they call my number if they've fixed my phone!  (Duh, right?)

Have you heard anyone say something dumb / funny lately?

p.s. Years ago in Austin I was listening to the news and the weather forecast was next. The anchorman's introduction into the weather segment was pretty clever, he turned to the meteorologist and asked,

"Sunny today, but not tonight, right Conner?"  

Last edited:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never answer QotD but I have a story to tell on myself.  My ex was a hands-on, blue collar worker, very dedicated and very smart.  I went to a private, all girls school.  He was always intimidated by that, even though I reassured him that he was smart in ways I wasn't and vice versa.

We were traveling on the thruway when I spotted a retread on the side of the road.  I had no idea what it was and asked.  He explained the entire process - he really was smart about mechanics and other things like that.

As we traveled, I saw other retreads on the side of the road and after about 60 miles, I said "That truck must not have any tires left by now!"  As soon as I said it, I knew how dumb it was but - too late!

He looked at me incredulously.  He never said it but I know he was thinking "and she went to private school?"

I still laugh thinking about that ... Ah to be 18 again!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a college student so I really take advantage of sales. My favorite lobster and shrimp egg rolls were on sale so I bought 10 of each. The cashier asks me, "Are these any good?" I smiled, "Yes." I can't help but to think, "Here's your sign!" It was innocently meant I'm sure but geez.