Wednesday's Question o the Day: Autumn

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning Friends! 
 It's a chilly, wet day here, which makes me wonder...

When does Fall (Spring if you are in the Southern hemisphere) usually arrive where you live? 

Fall came here last Saturday! It was cooler but it felt different, chillier than it's been all Summer. It smells different, too, and the fog starts rolling in when the season changes. At least we had a sunny July - strangers in town were in such good moods all month, but that's all over now. 

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hard to say for NC. I have often heard people say if you don't like the weather, spend the night. It will be different tomorrow. Coastal NC is nice right now. I think we have that change in the air that means Autumn is here. Nice.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fall is my favorite season, I just love when the leaves change color and the much cooler, brisker air comes in.  Makes me feel more alive.  Fall  usually arrives in the month of September but.....sometimes it still feels like summer and it can get very hot.  I just hope the beautiful Fall weather gets here soon cuz this has been a horrible, hot and humid summer.  I've had enough.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
not soon enough here! it's so hot and muggy today, I am so looking forward to the cooler weather!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Early October I guess.  Or late September.  We don't usually get that first freeze till closer till November I think.  I know I've harvested tomatoes into October before.  Love that!!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here in Texas, Fall arrives sometime in late November/early December.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This summer has been super weird. In late July I went to Rochester Minnesota for a weekend, and it was COLD! Temps in the 50s-60s during the day! And of course I didn't bring a jacket, because it was July for pete's sake :lol3:. It would have been a fine fall day but totally unexpected for July. I hear it was just about as cool here too. And now it's 95 degrees and so muggy I think I'll drown .tongue2:. So weird.

I think autumn usually starts around the middle of September. Depends on the year though.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When does Fall (Spring if you are in the Southern hemisphere) usually arrive where you live?
I'm not sure I understand the question.  The seasons are determined by shifting sunlight (not heat!)—which is determined by how our planet orbits the Sun and the tilt of its axis. So the seasons arrive on specific dates.
Code:

Seasons of 2013:

SPRING EQUINOX

March 20, 7:02 A.M. EDT

SUMMER SOLSTICE

June 21, 1:04 A.M. EDT

FALL EQUINOX

September 22, 4:44 P.M. EDT

WINTER SOLSTICE

December 21, 12:11 P.M. EST

Seasons of 2014:

SPRING EQUINOX

March 20, 12:57 P.M. EDT

SUMMER SOLSTICE

June 21, 6:51 A.M. EDT

FALL EQUINOX

September 22, 10:29 P.M. EDT

WINTER SOLSTICE

December 21, 6:03 P.M. EST

Last edited:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There isn't a time of year the cooler weather usually arrives for you?  That's what we are talking about.
Ahhh! Now I get it.  Sorry, I lost some brain cells recently and haven't found then yet!  LOL

We had a late arrival of summer weather.  It's only now just started to be "summer".  We've had so much rain and cool temperatures.

Last year September which is usually starting to cool off, was giving us record breaking hot temperatures for the whole month.  But typically mid to end of September it starts to get cooler.  And sometimes in mid to late October we get snow, that has sometimes stayed for the whole winter! 

But right now we are enjoying summer heat of 37 Celsius with the humidity factored in.  I think that is around 99 degress Farenheit.

ravencorbie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think seasons start on the solstices and equinoxes. In an ideal world (which doesn't exist), these would be the MIDDLE, not the START, of the season, since they are:

Summer solstice: when the day is at its longest and the nights their shortestWinter solstice: opposite thatEquinoxes: when there is exactly the same amount of time during the day and night

I know that's what we always say, but after the summer solstice, the days start getting shorter. So, shouldn't that be the middle of summer? Now, I could see a two-season/winter-summer using the equinoxes, where summer starts right after the spring equinox and continues to the fall equinox, since during that period, the days would always be longer than the nights, and vice-versa, but the other way just has never made sense to me.

---

Temperature-wise, things are very different. Here in western Colorado, we hardly have a spring or fall. It just kind of stays hot and dry until, well, it's cold. And then it snows a little, and stays cold, until suddenly, it's hot and dry again. I miss the mid-west (Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, specifically, as those are the states I've lived in) where autumn was this wonderful, magical time.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I think it's fair enough to say that spring has sprung here... lovely warmer days with masses of blooms in my garden.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The end of September, beginning of October as a rule. 

Right now......heavens, but it's a muggy mess outside. It's just plain nasty. I can take the heat, but that humidity can go away any time now.

A couple of years ago, we had a Halloween snow. I was not amused.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hard to say for NC. I have often heard people say if you don't like the weather, spend the night. It will be different tomorrow. Coastal NC is nice right now. I think we have that change in the air that means Autumn is here. Nice.
 LOL! Exactly!!  I'm ready for the humidity to go! It seems to be getting better. Hopefully we won't have to wait 'till Oct. for cooler weather. I love fall!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
September/October is when we see Autumn roll around in Tennessee! I love the cooler weather, and watching the leaves change colors! :Leaf:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick and I were walking last night and, had I had my camera with me, I would have taken a picture. It was a perfect fall evening with the darker sky and a breeze. The only thing missing was the colored leaves, although around here, the trees are starting to change over. But the sky.....when I think of a fall sky, that was it.

Almost time to get the pumpkins out (well, in Barbara's case, get them down from the roof! 
)

Last edited: