Wednesday's DT

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whisker's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lorie...how scary. Thank God your dad had enough sense to go get checked. Some men tend to ignore everything and the consequence is not a good one. I'm happy he is going to be fine. Tell him to relax and enjoy being off for a while.

Went to see my doctor today. he said my lungs are 'not bad' Seems to be some improvement. He has advised me to stay on the same anti-biotic. Everything I described to him is apparently a side effect to this medication: nausea, loss of appetite (not really complaining about THAT side effect), sore tongue (weird...) and diarrhea (yay!) So, in order to get better, I need to get worse first. But, on the bright side, I am finally feeling some improvement. I am still coughing up a storm. I curse at myself, cough some more, sneeze a little, curse a little, cough some more (you get the picture).

Another downside is that I have to take a puffer for the next couple of weeks. He tested the amount of oxygen that is in my lungs (I blew into some kind of contraption). I ended up with a score of 340 and it should be around 475. No clue what those numbers mean. Anyways...he thinks I may also have asthma. My dad had this. Last year, in July, I had lung problems and was on a puffer. I am getting tested again next week.

So once again, thanks for all the well wishes everyone. I think I am on the mend. I'll know tonight, if I sleep through the night again.

Heidi, we have a wood stove. Whiskers does not go near it. Mind you, we have doors also so it is not dangerous.But yes.....with a fireplace,I'd keep an eye on the tail.

Melissa, so sorry about Loco. But at least you were there until the end. Feel better (((Hugs))) for you.

Good night all.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear there was some improvement and you are on the mend, Ghyslaine! Get better real soon!!!!

Lorie...that is so scary about your dad!! I'm so glad it was just a minor attack, and nothing majorly serious. I hope he will take some time off to rest up and just relax before going back to work!

Tiggeytoes, don't feel bad...I have had a scanner since last Christmas
and have not yet learned to use it.
(it is still in the box)

a_loveless_gem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

valanhb...about that fireplace, I've had two different experiences with kitties and fireplaces. I know a Devon Rex, Kacey, (my bf's sister's kitty), who forgot about the heat and always had to sniff the smell and put his nose on the door. I've only seen it once and heard his wet nose sizzle and seen him back away from it and then settle down in front of it at a safe distance and sleep.

My kitty, Russell played around the fireplace where I used to live even though I discouraged it. But when the logs were lit, he felt the heat and decided not to investigate further and slept at a safe distance away from it....which incidentally was the same spot I would sit to read....:tounge2:

It depends on the kitties and I would definitely keep an eye on that floofy tail....or you could always shave it...

Melissa, I'm so sorry to hear about Loco. At least you know he didn't suffer and that he was loved and looked after in his life. Remember the happy times. *hug*

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Melissa, I just read about Loco and had to chime in and say how sorry I am for him. Poor baby. Was he actually sick already?
I'm sure you tried to do the best you could for him, only I know some vets sometimes advise people to put down cats that are FeLV or FIV positive or even what they call FIP positive (which cannot actually be tested for as such).

In case other people with FeLV or FIV positive cats read this thread in the future, I just wanted to say that there is no need to put down those cats. These cats can have years and years of good quality life ahead of them. It's sad that the shelter won't take them in, though I can certainly see their point - they don't want this virus spreading to other cats. What these cats need is to live either as the only cats in the household or with other FeLV positive cats.

Again, my condolences to you Melissa and I'm sorry for poor Loco. I'm sure you did what you thought was best for him as the vet said eh was already actually sick - not just a carrier. I just felt it needs to be explained for the benefit of other cat owners who may come across this thread looking for info about FeLV.

Check this article for more FeLV info:
http://www.thecatsite.com/health/felv.html

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for posting such great information on this Anne, I think you may have cleared up some misconceptions that others may have had in the future.

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, thank you Anne. I think you made a very good point how the cats who do have FeLV can indeed live a long and healthy life.

Thanks for clearing up the misconceptions!!