Wednesday´s Question 03/05/14

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I've just been preparing my niece for her first op this Friday. When she asked me how many I'd had I realised it was just too hard, so 'about 10' will do..

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I've had dental surgery before (wisdom teeth) and I've also had a biopsy done. I've never had anything that required anesthesia.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've just been preparing my niece for her first op this Friday. When she asked me how many I'd had I realised it was just too hard, so 'about 10' will do.. :)
sending good vibes for your niece, for everything goes well! :vibes:..:vibes:..:vibes:..:vibes:...:vibes:

Please, keep us update about! :nod:

:wavey:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wisdom tooth out. Tonsils our. Warts on the bottom of my feet surgically removed. A sore on my tongue removed :'( and sent for biopsy. Nothing. Carpal tunnel on my right hand 15 years ago and it's starting to hurt again.
Scrape after a miscarriage.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have only had oral surgery. I had my wisdom teeth out when I was in college. I was so nervous and I will never forget the nurse told me, "Don't worry, most kids enjoy the sedation." Ah, college towns! :lol3: And she wasn't kidding about the sedation- they gave me a valium iv and gas. Although, I think I annoyed the oral surgeon because I was awake and chatty the whole time, and had them put up the mirror so I could watch what they were doing.

The next time was different. I had to have all my teeth pulled last year and it was absolutely horrible. I really could have used the sedation that time. Apparently, my teeth had very strong, long, intertwined roots. One of the tools slipped as the dentist was prying a part of a tooth out and he stabbed me under the tongue. That is when I realized the Novocain was wearing off. And that caused a panic attack. It was not pretty.

Unfortunately, I still need work done to remove a protruding lump of bone that formed during my recovery. My dentures do not fit correctly because of the lump, so I still have no teeth. I rarely leave the house because I am so embarrassed, but I am scared to go back. Somehow, they use sound waves to crumble the bone lump and it is supposed to be painless. Intellectually, I know it will be nowhere near as bad as the extractions, but I still cannot make myself go. I think I have a full blown dentist phobia now :(

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh golly that sounds awful. I really sympathise with you. I'm terrified of the dentist and only go when I have to. I floss and clean a few times a day.
When I had the scrape the sedation was fantastic. Apparently I talked non stop.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have only had oral surgery. I had my wisdom teeth out when I was in college. I was so nervous and I will never forget the nurse told me, "Don't worry, most kids enjoy the sedation." Ah, college towns!
And she wasn't kidding about the sedation- they gave me a valium iv and gas. Although, I think I annoyed the oral surgeon because I was awake and chatty the whole time, and had them put up the mirror so I could watch what they were doing.

The next time was different. I had to have all my teeth pulled last year and it was absolutely horrible. I really could have used the sedation that time. Apparently, my teeth had very strong, long, intertwined roots. One of the tools slipped as the dentist was prying a part of a tooth out and he stabbed me under the tongue. That is when I realized the Novocain was wearing off. And that caused a panic attack. It was not pretty.

Unfortunately, I still need work done to remove a protruding lump of bone that formed during my recovery. My dentures do not fit correctly because of the lump, so I still have no teeth. I rarely leave the house because I am so embarrassed, but I am scared to go back. Somehow, they use sound waves to crumble the bone lump and it is supposed to be painless. Intellectually, I know it will be nowhere near as bad as the extractions, but I still cannot make myself go. I think I have a full blown dentist phobia now

I had valium for my wisdom tooth extraction, too. Wonderful stuff, valium is. I have a morbid fear of the dentist, too, so I feel your pain. I took one valium the night before and the second one about an hour before surgery. My MIL took me to the appointment. Walked in and sat down in the chair. Doctor asked me how I was and I smiled and said, "Let's get this done!" He started laughing and told me I was ready. I was chatty, too, but he said it was better than being asleep. Only I started humming "Smoke on the Water" about mid-way through. Try humming with your mouth open. It's not easy!

But, I really dislike any dental visits, even for simple cleanings. I am very paranoid. My dentist knows it, though, and he and the hygienist both treat me with kid gloves.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot about having my tonsils out as a child, and also had my appendix out, but that was the same surgery as the cyst.

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to get 12 stitches in my forehead when I was 16. 

I had an episiotomy during my first labor. Threatened to kick the doctor who delivered my second if she even thought about it. I'll leave it at that.

I had an abscess cut out of my leg. They gave me lidocaine for the initial procedure, which I hate. So when I went for the follow-up two days later, I asked if they had anything else. They did not, so I went without pain killers for the procedure. There was some mild screaming, but it wasn't much worse than the lidocaine and I impressed the nurse. 

I've also had all four wisdom teeth pulled at once. I don't remember the medication. I have flashes of memory during that time. I remember being put under, but I don't remember waking up or leaving. I remember being in the car and crying. I apologized to my boyfriend for crying and told him I didn't know why I was because I wasn't sad. When I got back to my apartment, I was super hot. I stripped my shirt off and splashed my face with cold water. Then I got into my bed, sitting up with my laptop in my lap, and immediately fell asleep. 

Oh, and I also had surgery on my cervix. They had to burn part of it away.

Last edited:

kittenpants

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had my appendix out and both feet operated to fix my bunions. All went well but I hated the pain. I also have to have a root canal done. It coming up and I have no idea what it would feel like.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had MANY root canals done with and without caps. They didn't hurt at all, but it involves a lot of drilling which is my least favorite part. If you feel anything you need more Novocaine!

kittenpants

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had MANY root canals done with and without caps. They didn't hurt at all, but it involves a lot of drilling which is my least favorite part. If you feel anything you need more Novocaine!

Oh I hope so. I do need a cap. And the drilling is the worst part. Probably more of the noise....and the needle. Oh the pinch. But I appreciate your experience. I do have a tolerance for pain... I just hate the drilling.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have only had my wisdom teeth out.
Oops - add that one to my list too. :lol3: Willowy - you lucky duck with only that on your list. HOPE it stays that way for you! ;) :bigthumb:

It's a miracle I'm still alive!
Gave me a chuckle. :lol2: Sorta feel the same way. Along with forgetting about my wisdom teeth, Larry reminded me of another "odd" encapsulated lump in my groin. :rolleyes: Probably from a horse riding accident though. Still had surgery. I can't help wonder what is next. OH YEAH - the hard cyst on top of my hand........

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, when I was 3-4 I had crowns put on my molars (my 2-year molars grew in without enamel). They put me on laughing gas so I don't really remember anything. Not sure if that was "surgery" or not but definitely a procedure! Fortunately my adult teeth came in OK so I haven't needed any dental procedures since besides the wisdom teeth.