Wedding Problems

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I apoligize, but that was his thoughts when reading it. You are right - we don't know them, but sounds like money issues are a big problem and that's not a good way to start out.

But whether its a first or second, etc wedding it does NOT have to be a big one. IMO people spend far too much on a wedding or their parents do.....kinda seems like a "impress the relatives" thing!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever it is that you decide to do, make sure its what BOTH of you want. Dont put what you want aside just to make it go faster for him! And is it that he cant have the job because he is "living in sin?" Why not try to find some temp. jobs (after all christmas is coming up and all the retail places are hiring extra help) and save up and then get married and he can pursue this career?
But the small wedding and the big BBQ does sound like a great idea!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever you do, please wear your dress and walk down an aisle for your grandfather, okay?
You'll always be glad you did that.

Nikki's ideas are excellent! You don't need little printed napkins and matchbooks and party favors and fancy centerpieces and flowers all over the place. Just put one tall, perfect taper in the center of each table and dim the room lights... scatter some pearlized or metallic confetti on the tables to create sparkles... it'll be lovely!

And I wouldn't bother with liquor -- if you have a 10:00 wedding, just pass around mimosas for toasting, and no one will expect anything more. Time the reception to break around noon, so everyone can go out to lunch afterward, and you're home free!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There have been some excellent suggestions, but the one thing said by others that I want to ditto, ditto, ditto is to have the wedding that you two want. If that means a small wedding in December with you in your gown and your grandfather there, then that is what you do.

Re decorations or cakes etc., do what you would love most. Me...I had simple glasses (looked like small vases, but were water glasses from a cash and carry..LOL) filled with wild flowers my Aunt Pat had picked. What money I did spend on flowers went for bridesmaids and my bouquet, and for parents/grandparents of bride and groom. I've seen absolutely exquisite roses at Costco, and more than once, have seen a gal buying them to take to her wedding (hair and makeup done, standing in line at Costco...made me smile, and send them silent best wishes).

I made my own favors, we made our own wedding programs (printed at Kinko's the day before, dh designed them), best friends sang my favorite song (helped that they were professional musicians), my aunt made Italian cookies for us to pass out at the reception...it was what I wanted, small, with the touches important to me (the cookies for instance)..and only you two know what means the most to you.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

The veil with hair comb came from Michaels crafts (or JoAnnes, I can't remember now.) which was much cheaper than $60 for the same darn thing at a boutique.
Don't forget the wedding friendly shops like Michaels, JoAnn Fabrics, eBay (is great!!! You can get 100 little favor bags for $5).

Also I plan on making my own invitations...we're like you where we only have 85 people that we're inviting and probably about 60 addresses to send to. It's WAAAAAAYYY cheaper than getting them made for you. All you need is a printer.
(trust me I looked into a local place and they looked exactly like the stuff you buy at Michael's and print off on your computer. Even eBay is a rip off...)