Wedding Dresses

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd want to buy my own because they're all so unique, and for the most part, a tux is a tux. I wouldn't spend $1,000 on it though. David's Bridal has TONS of beautiful dresses for $99 and up. I don't think you have to spend an arm or a leg, and renting a dress could be close to the same price as buying one in some cases.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Used gowns can be very cheap. I got mine used and stuck it in a box under the bed. Months later my DH proposed.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stampit3d

When our oldest daughter got married I made her gown...(she was just about my size)...so after the wedding reception, while her Dad was still in his rented Tux, the plan was that I would put on her gown and we would have our picture taken together....just for the fun of it.
At the recpetion someone spilled red punch all down the front of her! So that plan was out!
Oh, go ahead and take the picture, if you'd still like to -- the stain can be removed from the picture with Photoshop!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i voted for rent, but i may not even wear a gown for my wedding. i've always thought i might have my entire wedding party [probably only 4-6 people] wear tuxes, women included! black for the guys, dove grey for the gals.
my sister thinks i should wear a dress. but i may never get married, anyway.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I personally wouldn't (and didn't) rent one; nothing wrong with it; just my own personal thing. I did, however try on one at the Goodwill, and wish I had bought it and altered it (Mom talked me out of that, but I know I could have done it). I looked nice in it. Then, I decided I really wanted a Civil War era dress (former reenactor), and made my own, which turned out nice, but I looked fat and ugly in it in my pics (looked great in the mirror, though!). I hated my dress..the fabric was lovely; silk satin, but it was too plain in style on me. I made my veil, and altered my tiara (took the fake pearls off; wired real ones onto it).

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are some pretty reputable places around here that you can rent a gown from. I JUST got engaged though so i'll be looking into the dress thing sooner or later.I think I will be buying mine though. I don't want anything too expensive or extravagant.....just something nice,elegant, and reasonably priced.I'd rather buy my own though so that after my wedding, i can put it away with my invatations/etc and always have it there to cherish it....that's just something special to me that you can't do if you rent one.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I rented one from a costume shop. It wasn't even supposed to be a wedding dress, but was made for a performance of Cinderalla. It suited the occasion perfectly, and I didn't fork out $$$$ for a dress I'll never wear again.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Dad bought mine from a consignment shop for about $440. (Original price, $1,300 -ish!)
He was so sweet! It was apparently last year's dress that everyone tried on before they ordered it from the catalog. (There's some name for it but I don't remember.) It was a Mon Cheri, a superbly over priced bridal company!
In the future though, I may rent it out to my sisters or friends since they liked it very much on me. Or if we ever do a second wedding, I'll still wear it!