Wear a suit???

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Try wearing control top nylons sometime. I'd rather wear a tie ANY day then those.

Right on, sister! Men don't know how lucky they are!

First, men look great in suits if they fit right. Just don't get crazy with the color of the shirt, and don't wear a cartoon tie unless you're waiting tables at Macaroni Grill.

Second, yeah, ties are uncomfortable, and I don't blame men for not liking them. But it's a small price to pay compared to what we women go through with spandex and underwire and mascara and hairspray and high heels!

Go rent "Tootsie" (Dustin Hoffman, Sydney Pollack, Teri Garr) and then complain about wearing a suit!

Hope you have a good time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

What about a nice sport jacket, dark trousers and a not-so-stuffy collared shirt. As long as the collar of the shirt isn't too close, the tie won't be as well... mens' shirts come with 'neck sizes' so measure yours and then get one that's a little bigger.

Try Mens' Warehouse. Affordable suits and such... not a HUGE investment. And I think they do rent as well... dunno... I've been single for so stinkin' long... no men in my life. And my dad hasn't worn one since i was a kid. I mean little kid.

I'm thinking Navy Blue trousers, a coordinating sport-jacket and tie, and a shirt that isn't white. Light blue or something.

Here's a jacket (thinking budget): Sport Jacket

Look at what the guy in the picture is wearing... you don't have to do a vest/sweater vest. But I'd go with darker colors... Simple, not too fussy. Dark sports jacket, dark pants, nice shirt but not too traditional, and then a tie. You might even like the separates. One thing most people (men and women alike) seem to be stuck on is that when you buy a suit you have to always wear it all together. You don't. You can wear the jacket with jeans and a polo shirt for a casual date... etc. Mix and match. Find pieces you like and work them together. It's not stuff at all. And having a nice tie and jacket and such will be good for those occasional times you might just NEED them.

Just my two cents...
Amanda
Thanks for the tips! I like the way of dressing simple with darker colors. sounds good.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Control top nylons are evil. Yuck.

Can you just rent a suit? My DH only wears a suit for: Interviews, Weddings, and sometimes funerals. Those aren't very often. I think he looks handsome, but he hates wearing a suit. He has one nice one. For our wedding he rented a tux and that turned out pretty well.

Sometimes the Goodwill and Salvation Army have nice suits too. DH had one from there a few years ago. It was a bargain and looked nice. I think when he was done with it (didn't wear it often) we donated it to another Salvation Army or Goodwill store.
I wish I could remember why he needed that one.

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

Control top nylons are evil. Yuck.

Can you just rent a suit? My DH only wears a suit for: Interviews, Weddings, and sometimes funerals. Those aren't very often. I think he looks handsome, but he hates wearing a suit. He has one nice one. For our wedding he rented a tux and that turned out pretty well.

Sometimes the Goodwill and Salvation Army have nice suits too. DH had one from there a few years ago. It was a bargain and looked nice. I think when he was done with it (didn't wear it often) we donated it to another Salvation Army or Goodwill store.
I wish I could remember why he needed that one.
I will try to rent one if you say so... btw

DH = ???

If you have pic of the suit he wears or something similar on the net I appreciate that... I would understand more if I see it in a pic

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by arie85

DH = ???

If you have pic of the suit he wears or something similar on the net I appreciate that... I would understand more if I see it in a pic
DH = Dear Husband

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

DH = ???

I'm not big on the whole renting thing... in my opinion. God only knows where that thing has been. I can see renting a tux for weddings, but suits and suit components are something else. Those are things you can reuse. And they are a good investment (if not a huge one) for down the road.

DH = Dear Hubby/Husband

Amanda

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

DH = ???

DH = Dear Husband

I couldn't find any photos of him, other than our wedding photo, in a suit.
I did find a link to what I think his suit is. I know the one he has now was from JC Penny.
Suit link <--- Click here

If possible I would recommend buying a suit.

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

DH = Dear Husband

I couldn't find any photos of him, other than our wedding photo, in a suit.
I did find a link to what I think his suit is. I know the one he has now was from JC Penny.
Suit link <--- Click here

If possible I would recommend buying a suit.
Just curious - how much does this kind of suit cost in the market?

And thanks for teaching me the meaning of DH

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just curious - how much does this kind of suit cost in the market?

And thanks for teaching me the meaning of DH
I think his was $300-$400.
not sure. It's been a few years. But he got the nicer Wool type. The polyester/blend ones are usually less expensive. And check the various mens stores, a lot of them have good specials.
I know one of my hubby's friends got an awesome deal on 2 suits at a mall store of all places.
They were basically 2 for the price of one, plus it was a sale price. It's been a few years, so I can't give better price ranges.

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I think his was $300-$400.
not sure. It's been a few years. But he got the nicer Wool type. The polyester/blend ones are usually less expensive. And check the various mens stores, a lot of them have good specials.
I know one of my hubby's friends got an awesome deal on 2 suits at a mall store of all places.
They were basically 2 for the price of one, plus it was a sale price. It's been a few years, so I can't give better price ranges.
Gotcha... well... and where do you think's the best place to get the suit? here or do it with my gf there?
if you think here do you have recommendations for websites that might sell it online?? (if it's worth it)

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise

Do you have a link to a pic on the web that shows how it looks like?
We need to teach you sarcasm

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Gotcha... well... and where do you think's the best place to get the suit? here or do it with my gf there?
if you think here do you have recommendations for websites that might sell it online?? (if it's worth it)
No recommendations. Just shop around.
That's what we did, looked around until we found one Mike liked.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think someone said to try The Men's Warehouse...another place to go is Syms. They're both within 30 minutes of your home town (I used to party every weekend in a bar in Hillside) I would NOT go online for a suit. It is something that has to be tried on and sometimes altered to work with your measurements.

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweets

I think someone said to try The Men's Warehouse...another place to go is Syms. They're both within 30 minutes of your home town (I used to party every weekend in a bar in Hillside) I would NOT go online for a suit. It is something that has to be tried on and sometimes altered to work with your measurements.
Awesome! hmm... btw I'm now in NJ right now as I said in other thread, I would be back for a few hours though in Newark & Hillside but just for a few hours, not sure yet... but that's all on next week

I will try to call the store there though and ask them if I can make reservation but once again I won't be able to see the suit but that's what I like about those things... me & clothes are simply not coincide

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
If you get one before you goo away, please take some form of female friend/relative with you!! Tristan said before he met me that he was terrible at picking out clothes, and needs someone to give him honest opinions on the cut/colour/style of clothing. And i've never picked a suit out for anyone, and apparently i did a good job!

Take a female to the clothing shops!

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

If you get one before you goo away, please take some form of female friend/relative with you!! Tristan said before he met me that he was terrible at picking out clothes, and needs someone to give him honest opinions on the cut/colour/style of clothing. And i've never picked a suit out for anyone, and apparently i did a good job!

Take a female to the clothing shops!
I guess you're right, I'll do it