Weaning question/possible URI

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emmaleesmith90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He was on amoxi drops. But I really don't think they had his diarrhea worse. He was actually constipated for a while because we switched him to powdered formula and an anti diarrhea gel when we first started the antibiotics.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree the diarrhea was probably from the premixed formula.

I don't think the antihistamine will hurt, but I would ask for clavamox too. It's a broader spectrum antibiotic.

You can also hold him in the bathroom for a few minutes with a steamy shower running to help clear his sinuses. It's coming out of his eyes because he is very clogged up.

Additionally, you can use pediatric Little Noses drops (not spray). It's saline, and will help clear him a bit too, hopefully.

Can you pick up prescriptions from your vet today?

emmaleesmith90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He isn't really congested though. He just has a problem with sneezing and a bit of nasal discharge. No wheezing or anything. And the vet listened to his lungs and said they sound good. His temp is good too. They gave him amoxi drops again, twice a day for 7 days. Hopefully it works.

emmaleesmith90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No just the antibiotics. Should I have gotten the antihistamine? If it's an infection won't it not do much good?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The antihistamine would offer relief from the sneezing, and dry up some of the eye discharge. It's not necessary. If he's still sneezing a lot in a couple of days you can ask for it. Hopefully, the antibiotic will do the job.

I just wondered since you said the vet had suggested it.

emmaleesmith90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They told me over the phone that was what they were going to give him and that they wouldn't give him an antibiotic. But I didn't like that answer so I called back and requested they look at him. They ended up giving him the antibiotic anyway and not the antihistamine, so I'm glad I took him in. If he doesn't seem better by the end of his course of antibiotics I'm going to request clavamox and the antihistamine. Thanks for replying!

By the way, his eye discharge isn't a whole lot. Just a little in the corners. It's not like oozing out or anything. So I'm glad we caught it early on!

Last edited:

emmaleesmith90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When can I stop boiling all of his stuff for his food? We have been washing it and then boiling. Would it be okay to stop doing that as long as we wash it?

emmaleesmith90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay thanks. :) nothing ever specified as to when you could stop doing that.

emmaleesmith90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Twitch is fully weaned. :D He is finally drinking water and eating a bit of dry food. He turns 8 weeks old tomorrow and he is a little over 2 1/2 pounds. Is it okay to feed him every 6 hours now? He always has dry to nibble on.

emmaleesmith90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, his upper respiratory infection is gone and he is a very healthy little boy. But he sometimes pants a little after he runs around all crazy like for a while. I called my vet and they just said to make sure it isn't too hot where he is. But I know it could be a sign of heart disease. So is he too young to have heart disease?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I doubt he has heart disease. I would continue to offer wet food about every four hours for another few weeks.

emmaleesmith90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's not possible some days. We have stuff we have to do. I can't continue taking him to my moms every weekend because there is now nowhere to put him. So some days he has to go like 9 - 9 1/2 hours. I don't want to make him go that long, but there really isn't another option. :( I think I will feed him every 5 hours now. That seems like a decent time frame because we don't make him go all night without food, we get up to feed him about every 5 hours, around the clock.