Weaning Off Prozac Questions

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When my IBD kitty was at his worst with an IBD flare, he was urinating all over the house. The vet prescribed Prozac for him daily for 30 days, then every other day for 30 days. It helped tremendously with the inappropriate urination, but not with the inappropriate pooping outside the box. When he had a second flare in December, she put him back on it because he was urinating outside the box again. It worked and had it under control in about 3 days. This time, his script was 1 every other day, which we have followed. He has been successfully using the litter box for several months now. Recently, we've noticed that his appetite has decreased and his urine output has decreased. Both of these are side effects of Prozac in kitties.

Is every other day the best way to wean off Prozac? How long until we see a change in appetite (we do give him Mirataz as needed) and fluid output?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ask the vet if you could go with maybe half a pill every other day? As for the urine output, I have noticed a tremendous difference in my cats input by simply setting small bowls of water around the house in unusual places. I have one sitting just inside my bedroom door and see cats drinking there all the time! All of them! They think it is cool to have one where they never have before. Got to be a cat thing….,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We already have bowl in various locations. I know he's drinking, but his output is lower than it has been in the past. That may also have something to do with the fact that he's not nauseous like he was previously and he's drinking less water.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You need to have him looked at and maybe bloodwork to make sure this isn’t something new, not related to the Prozac.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have noticed a difference on the "off" Prozac days than the days when he gets it. He eats better and is more personable.

Cf24248

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a kitty on Prozac. My vet said when it's time she would help me with a weaning schedule appropriate for his dosage. Your vet should be able to tell you the best way to safely taper kitty off of the meds :)