Weaning a 2 1/2 y/o new adoptee off a TERRIBLE diet

hlvanpatten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! This is my first time posting so please forgive me if I've missed a thread already detailing how to do this. 

Long story short: I'm adopting a 2 1/2 y/o female American shorthair from a cat rescue with a great reputation. However, the foster owner who has been caring for her for the past year or so has been feeding her canned Friskies (two cans a day), table scraps, and leaves dry cat chow out throughout the day. This was super disappointing considering I was hoping a transition to a healthy diet was going to be relatively simple - now I'm not so sure! 

I was hoping to gradually transition her to an all wet Natural Balance or similar canned diet (there are better brands I know, but they're unfortunately out of my price range). I know that I need to incorporate some Natural Balance into the Friskies in greater and greater amounts until its ALL Natural Balance but my question is this: how to wean her off the dry food? And how to wean her off of SO much food throughout the day to half a 5 oz. can in the morning and half at night? The foster tells me she eats a lot, but that could be due to the low nutritional content of the food she's being given. Any advice on this would be super helpful!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hlvanpatten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much msserena, that's extremely helpful!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here's another article on getting them on scheduled meals, from being free fed.  This prbably the toughest part, but it CAN be done.  Believe me, because I was able to accomplish it, and did it when two of mine had been free fed for over 10 years. 

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/transitioning-free-fed-kibble-kitties-to-timed-meals

BTW, there are actually many worse foods out there than Friskies Pate.  As long as you are feeding her the Pate, at least it's not full of carbs like a lot of other foods.  (some of them  advocated by many Vets
)   Many cats won't even eat the "better for you" foods, but if you can at least keep them with the Friskies, Fancy Feast and Sheba PATES, it's a lot better than some of the other stuff (IMHO)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Gradual" was definitely the key to taking our cats off dry food: over a month or two, we started offering less of it, then confined it to small dishes at night, then kept reducing that until it was only a small garnish on top of their last canned meal of the day. And then we all forgot about it. Our cats are rescue cats who had a pretty definite preference for dry food: they initially tried to wait it out during the day but then realized they really did like canned food.

And @mrsgreenjeens is totally right about timed meals! We switched our cats over, too, though I hadn't thought it would be possible because one of our cats always seemed to be a very slow grazer. I also couldn't agree more with her "IMHO" about Friskies and (particularly) Fancy Feast, and Sheba pates: I'd much rather feed those than some of the Natural balance foods, which look like they have much higher carb levels because they contain multiple pea-based ingredients. The more you can avoid carby ingredients, the better--it's animal-based protein that cats need to feel filled up, so the more meat they get in their diet, the fuller they'll feel!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hlvanpatten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice! I'm definitely going to do a bit more research about food content per all of your suggestions. Gradual is the rule I'll use for whatever direction I decide to go in. Thanks again!!