weaning 1 down 3 to go

pussygalore

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my 5 week old kittens have not really been taking an intrest to weanig at all.my vet gave me some royal kitten food and said to dampen it and let them get on with it, they would get the idea.

well nothing!

in the end mum was given it as it would of wasted.
however today i decided to cook some turkey mince for the animals.

(3 dogs under a year old, 3 cats 12 months old) and i thought maybe the kittens woudl like some as well.

so i put some on a dish , it was still warm.
my god, the kittens gobbled it down like they had always eaten. one of the males had already started to lick at mums food, she he is as good as on his way. just have to get the other fussy ones to join in now.
funnily enougth the one who is weaning the best was the runt at one time! but he is now the same size as the others.

so that has hopefull ybeen the kick start they needed!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good to hear about the progress you are making with weaning...but remember, don't force it. Call around to other vets and see if they would be willing to spay mom without having to wait until her milk dries up.

Katie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is good, however turkey is pretty rich for kittens and cats. I'd switch them to shredded boiled chicken. That's what I give my weaning kittens mixed in their foods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pussygalore

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i had tried chicken, fish, kitten food, baby food, kmr, biscuits with milk, biscuits with water. nothing would tempt them.

i had a bit of the turkey left and so i thoguht i woudl try it.

i dont plan on feeding the turkey again. i had actually bought it in as a treat for the animals.