Weakness?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have my Insurance job interview tomorrow

Yesterday when I had the other one, I had a problem explaining my weaknesses within my current job.

I went at a total blank - I explained that I get really nervous and shy around new people - but it doesn't affect my work.

I'm at a total loss on what to say that wont affect me getting the job

Can anyone suggest anything that might trigger me to think of something?

(And for the record, no, I can't say that I like to go on TCS during the work day
)

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I once had an interview with 5 of the "big guys" for a CNA job.
And they asked me my weakness. Well sitting in an empty room with 5 people staring at me...
I said "umm...This type of thing" lol.
They said "explain"
I said.."well this is pretty pressure-full and I'm like freaking out..But you cant tell because I'm That good. And that may be my weakness, feeling very pressured, but hiding it well due to wanting this job so badly."
Nuff said..I got the job.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one thing that I have always been told not to do is to turn a strength into a weakness...i.e "I tend to work too much". That leaves you the opportunity for them to "work you too much".

Just in general, be honest...i.e the shy around people. Just say something to the tune of "I'm generally shy around my co-workers at first as I begin to get to know them."
Or choose something you're lacking...i.e. "Unfortunately I only type 33 words per minute."
It just tells the employer that you're an honest person.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

The one thing that I have always been told not to do is to turn a strength into a weakness...i.e "I tend to work too much". That leaves you the opportunity for them to "work you too much".
I agree that's always a good way to go about it!

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
One good thing to do is to tell them about a weakness and about how you are trying to improve on it. For example, if you tell them that you are shy around new people, you could also tell them that you have been making efforts to make conversations with people and that you are learning to handle the stress better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lilleah

I once had an interview with 5 of the "big guys" for a CNA job.
And they asked me my weakness. Well sitting in an empty room with 5 people staring at me...
I said "umm...This type of thing" lol.
They said "explain"
I said.."well this is pretty pressure-full and I'm like freaking out..But you cant tell because I'm That good. And that may be my weakness, feeling very pressured, but hiding it well due to wanting this job so badly."
Nuff said..I got the job.
Thats a good one!

I was feeling pretty darn pressured during the interview yesterday! I'm glad its over

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys are great - thank you so much for the help

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just in general, be honest...i.e the shy around people. Just say something to the tune of "I'm generally shy around my co-workers at first as I begin to get to know them."
Or choose something you're lacking...i.e. "Unfortunately I only type 33 words per minute."
It just tells the employer that you're an honest person.
I wish I could use that.... I type pretty well

You guys have given me great ideas tho, on what to say.

Anything else would be great - this is helping me out so much!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I wish I could use that.... I type pretty well

You guys have given me great ideas tho, on what to say.

Anything else would be great - this is helping me out so much!
Go back over the job advertisement...review the qualifications for the job and pick one that you don't know as well as the rest. I.e. If they use a particular software instead of the one you're use to.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Go back over the job advertisement...review the qualifications for the job and pick one that you don't know as well as the rest. I.e. If they use a particular software instead of the one you're use to.
I'll do that - I know the one thing that I'm not, is that they were looking for someone who is a Licenced Insurance Agent, or willing to be - they are going to have me take classes to become that - so I guess me not already being Licenced could be a weakness, right?

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with what other people have said...turn your weakness into a positive....

I always say:

"I have a tendacy of wanting to finish what I start.....sometimes I will stay extra at work in order to get things done"

Or you can your a perfectinous (*spelling)

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Kenz,

You'll be great on this interview

For weaknesses, they like to hear things that affect your work positively such as:

"I sometimes find I overwork myself and it gets in the way of my family/personal life"

"I am a perfectionist, I cannot move onto another task sometimes, when I know the previous one wasn't done perfectly"

"My organization sometimes annoys coworkers, because I must have everything in the right place all the time no matter what. I feel an organized work area is much more effective than a mess".

Those are my weaknesses usually in interviews..they really do apply to me.

Generally, its not the best idea to actually tell them your negative weaknesses.

Hope that helps, Good luck today!!

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Generally, its not the best idea to actually tell them your negative weaknesses.
Yeah, I wouldn't doubt it that some people might actually state a weakness

I read somewhere that these were some responses:

"I am a scatter brain" or "It takes me a long time to learn new things"

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Hey Kenz,

You'll be great on this interview

For weaknesses, they like to hear things that affect your work positively such as:

"I sometimes find I overwork myself and it gets in the way of my family/personal life"

"I am a perfectionist, I cannot move onto another task sometimes, when I know the previous one wasn't done perfectly"

"My organization sometimes annoys coworkers, because I must have everything in the right place all the time no matter what. I feel an organized work area is much more effective than a mess".

Those are my weaknesses usually in interviews..they really do apply to me.

Hope that helps, Good luck today!!
Those are great - and they really do apply to me as well - I'm a freakin perfectionist and everything MUST be organized

Thank you so much for your guys' help, your awesome!

I'm not even nervous about this interview - the one Tuesday really prepared me for anything!

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well good luck Mackenzie!!

We are all sending good (((vibes)))

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I said in my last interview that I can tend to invest too much emotionally in our patients, so really, it was a bit of a plus to the potential employers! Try to think of something, if you can, that could be passed off as a weakness but is actually something that they will think is kinda cool. That always works!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

I said in my last interview that I can tend to invest too much emotionally in our patients, so really, it was a bit of a plus to the potential employers! Try to think of something, if you can, that could be passed off as a weakness but is actually something that they will think is kinda cool. That always works!
I said that in my last interview! They asked me what I'll miss most about my current job, and I said the customers - I have gotten such a good customer cliental here - I know a lot of them that come in regularily - it'll be hard to not talk to them all the time

But its okay, cuz I think if I do get this job, I'll see a few of them quite often, as this company is some of their insurance that they use

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"I am a go getter, and tend to be kind of "take-charge" in my work, I've found that this sometimes makes other people, such as co-workers feel uncomfortable"

That's my "weakness".... and it's true, but interviewers see it as a positive, because I take initiative in my work, and yes sometimes it does make other people feel uncomfortable, well maybe threatened is the better word, but I wouldn't use the word "threaten" on an interview.

Good luck Mackenzie!!! I hope it goes well for you!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

"I am a go getter, and tend to be kind of "take-charge" in my work, I've found that this sometimes makes other people, such as co-workers feel uncomfortable"

That's my "weakness".... and it's true, but interviewers see it as a positive, because I take initiative in my work, and yes sometimes it does make other people feel uncomfortable, well maybe threatened is the better word, but I wouldn't use the word "threaten" on an interview.

Good luck Mackenzie!!! I hope it goes well for you!
I don't suppose threaten would be a good thing at all!

Just getting this help from you guys really makes me feel much better about the interview - now watch, she won't ask my weaknesses .... she'll ask something else totally off the wall

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I'll do that - I know the one thing that I'm not, is that they were looking for someone who is a Licenced Insurance Agent, or willing to be - they are going to have me take classes to become that - so I guess me not already being Licenced could be a weakness, right?
Definitely a good one. Weaknesses don't have to be limited to your personality. They could also include the possibility of you getting the job, your functions as well as qualifications.

Or mention your addiction to TCS??
J/K.