weakest kitten needs help.. what can i do?

faerielion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi there,
i took in a pregnant cat for someone a little bit ago and i really need some advice, assurance, any kind of guidance.

all of her kittens were born slightly smaller than average but have steady gone up in weight. she had 6 kittens, but they're not really growing 10g a day.. more like 4-5g a day. sometimes they stagnate and gain a little less but overall have been going up in weight. i think this is because mom is slightly underweight, she was skinny when we got her. lately she has been refusing any form of wet food, so i have been forcefeeding her with a syringe of a pretty thick mixture of "royal canin mother & babycat ultra soft mousse in sauce wet cat food" mixed with a little bit of kmr. it's not a pleasant experience but i really need her to gain weight. :(

i attached their growth tracking sheet i have.. green means over 4g in growth, yellow is 0-3g in growth, and red is any type of loss. at 11 days old, none of them have doubled their weight yet :gaah: <- this is how i feel lately.

the development of one kitten has been really concerning for me. this little guy wasn't born the runt (in fact the born runt outgrew him!!) but he is definitely the weakest of them all, you can kinda tell when you hold him because he doesn't really resist as much. he often gets pushed off the nipple by more forceful siblings so this last week i've been letting him solo nurse from mom. you can tell by the yellows on the tracking sheet that he doesn't gain very quickly at all. these last two/three days his weight has completely plateau'd and i'm a bit scared because i'm still allow him to solo nurse and also will try to rotate his bigger siblings out so he can nurse with the others too. i tried giving him supplement KMR with a miracle nipple but he vehemently refuses it and won't let me give him more than 0.5ml. he just doesn't latch and will cry and turn his head away from me multiple times.
the fastest growing kitten has also lost weight throughout today (i weighed twice today because i was so worried about the little one so there's two september 2nd's on there), and i'm not really sure why too. but his overall 24 hours has been a gain.

is there anything else i can do at this point? should i take the smallest kitten to the vet and mom as well? mom seems to be acting quite normally aside from the wet food thing, she's very good to the kittens and takes care of them super well. she is drinking water normally and eating dry food normally as well. the kitten cries, it's a bit quieter than his siblings, and he moves and does seek out mom's nipple and latches well.

Attachments

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes I would take mum and kitten to the vet. Could be an illness you can't see and force feeding long term can affect her trust with you and humans in general. It could also turn her off food(s) long term.

Have you seen Kitten Lady's videos and website about caring for kittens? She has many care and information videos

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
hi there,
i took in a pregnant cat for someone a little bit ago and i really need some advice, assurance, any kind of guidance.

all of her kittens were born slightly smaller than average but have steady gone up in weight. she had 6 kittens, but they're not really growing 10g a day.. more like 4-5g a day. sometimes they stagnate and gain a little less but overall have been going up in weight. i think this is because mom is slightly underweight, she was skinny when we got her. lately she has been refusing any form of wet food, so i have been forcefeeding her with a syringe of a pretty thick mixture of "royal canin mother & babycat ultra soft mousse in sauce wet cat food" mixed with a little bit of kmr. it's not a pleasant experience but i really need her to gain weight. :(

i attached their growth tracking sheet i have.. green means over 4g in growth, yellow is 0-3g in growth, and red is any type of loss. at 11 days old, none of them have doubled their weight yet :gaah: <- this is how i feel lately.

the development of one kitten has been really concerning for me. this little guy wasn't born the runt (in fact the born runt outgrew him!!) but he is definitely the weakest of them all, you can kinda tell when you hold him because he doesn't really resist as much. he often gets pushed off the nipple by more forceful siblings so this last week i've been letting him solo nurse from mom. you can tell by the yellows on the tracking sheet that he doesn't gain very quickly at all. these last two/three days his weight has completely plateau'd and i'm a bit scared because i'm still allow him to solo nurse and also will try to rotate his bigger siblings out so he can nurse with the others too. i tried giving him supplement KMR with a miracle nipple but he vehemently refuses it and won't let me give him more than 0.5ml. he just doesn't latch and will cry and turn his head away from me multiple times.
the fastest growing kitten has also lost weight throughout today (i weighed twice today because i was so worried about the little one so there's two september 2nd's on there), and i'm not really sure why too. but his overall 24 hours has been a gain.

is there anything else i can do at this point? should i take the smallest kitten to the vet and mom as well? mom seems to be acting quite normally aside from the wet food thing, she's very good to the kittens and takes care of them super well. she is drinking water normally and eating dry food normally as well. the kitten cries, it's a bit quieter than his siblings, and he moves and does seek out mom's nipple and latches well.
The overall raise of them all isnt that grand... But you surely knows this...
It was wise to rotate them, especielly the weakest.

Re momma, some vitamine paste could perhaps help some. Also, goats milk is always a good supplement. She perhaps even will drink it voluntarily? If so, use this instead of drinking water, so she gets extra nourishment.

You could try out goat smilk with the little one too. It tastes differently than KMR, perhaps he will be more willing to take this...

You could also try to smear some glucose sugar on the gum inside the lips. it gives quick energhy and makes the kitten manages better to suckle.

The advice to see a vet is a good one. The problem is, many vets arent very knowleable with small weak kittens... If there is some visible problem or disease they can spot, yes, even a so so vet will know how to help... But not vets are knowleable.... Try to get opinion about the vet in your beighbourhood before you go there... And chose the knowleable... It will be often vet cooperating with a rescue group / shelter, or having many breeders as his patients.

Perhaps tube feeding is the answer here. But tube feeding is difficult for a new be; you must be shown by someone knowleable, and have the correct gears... Again: quite a few vets arent knowleable about tube feeding...
But if you find a vet whom IS knowleable with weak small kittens AND is knowleable on tube feeding, it would be the best...

Re the forcefeeding of momma. Im not sure its that bad. Sometimes, they dont have the urge; but are grateful to be helped to eat...

Momma of our oldest resident, the Ancestor, lost the lust to drink... So the breeder and her hubby force feed her water the last two years of her life... It went OK, Cassandra was grateful for the help.... Of course, in the end her life time run out, but this is another story...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

faerielion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for the response. i am trying to schedule an emergency vet right now because everywhere seems to be booked up full for weeks in advance. my own vet isn't opened this weekend due to labor day weekend.. what a nightmare scenario to be in. mom seemed to have blood in some fluid today (i couldn't tell if it was liquid throw up or pee).

i have seen the video, unfortunately this kitten still won't take to a bottle or syringe. i weighed him this morning and let him solo nurse with mom for an extended period of time and weighed him afterwards, and he still lost a gram doing so. i'm freaking out :sigh:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re goats milk. Raw goats milk is best, if you can get this. Pricey, but sometimes makes the difference. But as an overall emergency kmr or a supplement, almost any goats milk should do. At least, as long its not some funny low fat version.

F faerielion

faerielion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The overall raise of them all isnt that grand... But you surely knows this...
It was wise to rotate them, especielly the weakest.

Re momma, some vitamine paste could perhaps help some. Also, goats milk is always a good supplement. She perhaps even will drink it voluntarily? If so, use this instead of drinking water, so she gets extra nourishment.

You could try out goat smilk with the little one too. It tastes differently than KMR, perhaps he will be more willing to take this...

You could also try to smear some glucose sugar on the gum inside the lips. it gives quick energhy and makes the kitten manages better to suckle.

The advice to see a vet is a good one. The problem is, many vets arent very knowleable with small weak kittens... If there is some visible problem or disease they can spot, yes, even a so so vet will know how to help... But not vets are knowleable.... Try to get opinion about the vet in your beighbourhood before you go there... And chose the knowleable... It will be often vet cooperating with a rescue group / shelter, or having many breeders as his patients.

Perhaps tube feeding is the answer here. But tube feeding is difficult for a new be; you must be shown by someone knowleable, and have the correct gears... Again: quite a few vets arent knowleable about tube feeding...
But if you find a vet whom IS knowleable with weak small kittens AND is knowleable on tube feeding, it would be the best...

Re the forcefeeding of momma. Im not sure its that bad. Sometimes, they dont have the urge; but are grateful to be helped to eat...

Momma of our oldest resident, the Ancestor, lost the lust to drink... So the breeder and her hubby force feed her water the last two years of her life... It went OK, Cassandra was grateful for the help.... Of course, in the end her life time run out, but this is another story...

i tried to get a second opinion on a facebook group when they were a week old because they just weren't gaining enough but everyone told me as long as they're gaining it's not that big of a deal and that i was stressing out more than needed. but a few days has passed since then and i'm a little bit scared about the lack of improvement from the first time i was worried :bawling:

could you let me know what kind of vitamin paste? i’ll buy some goats milk today and see if she’ll drink it (and the little ones too)

the kitten doesn’t seem to be low on energy (just not as strong as the other kittens) as when mom lies down next to him he rushes over to her and immediately starts looking for a nipple. if i see his energy dip i will immediately give him some glucose sugar!!

i’ll call around and see what i can do. and a bunch of vets in my area are closed for labor day weekend!! aargh

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sorry, I dont know what the pet shops in your neigbourhood have... I suppose most are useful, as long they are supposed for cats or cats are mentioned on the label... RC Mother & Baby has good reputation in such cases; but she clearly needs every advantage she can get...

As said, you can try to fill upp their calorie intake by smearing a droplet of glucose sugar on their gums. Glucose sugar proper is difficult to find in USA, so most rescuers use white caro syrup. Honey may also be used; both contains much glucose sugar.

You can use pedialyte instead of water diluting her slurry (and the KMR). Pedialyte contains some glucose sugar, so its again, some extra calories for free.

Use flavorless pedialtye supposed for babies.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten doesn’t have to “take” the syringe. You wrap him up like a burrito, with only his head out, and very gently, open his mouth, and put a drop in the SIDE of the mouth. Let him swallow and breathe, then go again. Try to give 1mL at first. Over time and repeated feedings - every 2 hours - he may begin to actively suckle on the syringe. Use a tiny 1mL syringe. A pharmacy can usually give this to you for free (needleless, of course). Always feed a kitten tummy down, never on the back.

F faerielion

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, I was going to post what Sarthur2 Sarthur2 said above.

Since you've mentioned labour day F faerielion , my guess is that you're in Canada also. Ren's pets and PetSmart are open and I think many you can get it shipped to home. If you got the powder KMR, a few cans might be better. I found cats more willing to take them at first. Can give some KMR to momma too. It does sound like something is needing vet attention if there's blood. If you can drive a bit, I know I'm my area people have had to call out to the vet hospitals in surrounding towns/cities at some points. Sometimes the SPCA will help for a fee if you call local shelter. Otherwise, calling a local rescue, they might be able to provide advice and even help get momma cat and kittens fixed afterwards.

faerielion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
F faerielion How are things going with the little one?
sorry for my lack of communication here! i really do appreciate all the advice on this thread. i still wasn't able to get him to drink from the syringe at all and i rushed for days to try to find a vet that could take them in ASAP but no one available for the labor day weekend. i did manage get mom some goat milk and she's taken to that mixed in her food better than the KMR.

i'm not exactly sure what happened though (maybe it's with the addition of goat milk), a day after the little guy lost weight he started bouncing back. he's up to 152g now, i suppose i may have been worried for nothing. my friend thinks they may have worms which is why they're growing a bit slower than usual (and why mom had a bit of blood in her vomit), so now that they're over 2 weeks i'm going to deworm them with pyrantel :hyper: .

all their eyes have opened too! including the little one with the slowest growth. i've attached a little picture of him. he's a really interesting color, like a super dark tabby tabby? mom is just grey and i'm not too sure about dad!

mom has a spay appointment set :cool2:!! woop woop.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Two weeks old and the little guy only weighs a little over 5 ounces. Wait to worm him. Kittens should weigh 8 ounces at 2 weeks, so he’s got some growing to do. Did you try my method for supplementing him with a syringe?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful kitten! I concur with waiting until the little one weighs more - he likely was conceived later than the others so is actually younger, growth wise, than his siblings. The standard is typically 8weeks/2pounds. You are doing a superb job. I often have better results with goat milk than with whey based products when the kitten is fading, especially with fresh raw goat milk from someone's FFA or 4-H project.

faerielion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ooh ok i will definitely wait. when is a good weight when it comes to being able to deworm them?

i just looked up black smoke tabby -- so interesting, i've never seen a cat that looks like this before.

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 : i did try! he took a bit but then got super fussy so i just let him go. will keep trying. i keep trying to remind myself (after watching some kitten lady videos) that she says the little little ones are always tough to feed, and not to get discouraged. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Really, de-worming should be at 8 weeks and 2 pounds, as mentioned already. Kittens should be 8 ounces at 2 weeks; 12 ounces at 3 weeks, and a full pound at 4 weeks. Then should continue to gain 4 ounces every week to hit 2 oounds at 8 weeks. This is give or take a little bit, of course. More weight gain is always okay.

I had 4 kittens who were supposed to be 3 pounds at 12 weeks to be spayed and neutered, but two were ready and the other two had to wait another week to hit their 3 pounds. One of those 4 was my runt, and he is now my biggest cat at close to 20 pounds with huge paws. (But he’s still, at 7 years old, a big needy baby!).

It pays to wait, unless there is an issue that needs treating right away. It seems you should wait.

faerielion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
just a little update, all kittens are doing well and still alive! they're much easier to feed with the bottle now and mom is eating really well lately too. they're still all kind of small (not close to a full pound yet despite being 4 weeks old yesterday) but they're walking around and exploring/playing with each other, and mom's taking care of them well as i also give extra milk to the littles.