Weak Hind Legs Getting Worse

Nuomi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I got an adorable ragdoll kitten from a breeder about a month ago, and recently he started having problems. He is currently 4.5 months old, and is already neutered. Ever since the night I took him back home he just wouldn't eat a lot. At first I thought it was because of the new environment, but he didn't have any other signs of stress and even as time went on his appetite never increased. I tried changing brand and consistency of food, but nothing worked. Another problem is that he seems to have problem going to the litter box. He urinates and defecate everyday but he tends to vocalize during these times, and he would urinate small amount of urine frequently.

All of these are minor and I thought he just needs more time. However, about a week ago I started noticing that his gait is looking weird, the hind legs seem to be a bit weak. I was afraid that he injured himself or I injured him when I accidentally pulled on his tail. I took him to see two different vets, got blood work and xrays done, everything came back normal with the exception of some inflammation. He had no injuries at all anywhere on the body. The xray did show that his belly is full of feces, which is probably why he wasn't eating. Like I mentioned earlier, he defecates daily, although since a week ago he would defecate outside of the litter box because pieces of feces would get stuck on his fur around the anus, and due to discomfort he would come out of the box. I think this is also due to the weak hind legs. He's also urinating on the floor a lot now, although mostly just in the small room that he stays every night. His hind legs have been getting progressively worse over the course of the week, and now when he walks his hind legs tend to lean on the left side and the left hind leg is especially weak, sometimes even dragging on the floor. The vet suspect something neurological, perhaps a birth defect, but he doesn't have any other signs pointing to neurological disorders. His pupils are fine and his reflexes are fine, just the legs and wobbly gait.

At this point I'm really lost. It's only been a month but we really like him and it breaks our heart to see him walk like that. I've seen somewhere that Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) deficiency may cause neurological problems, so I'm gonna call my vet first thing on Monday. I'm a first time cat owner and don't have experience dealing with these kind of issues, so I just want to see if anyone else had similar experiences. Is it possible for neurological birth defect to be not present at birth but show up in a couple of months? Neurological diagnosis would require neurologist, CT, and MRI, and it will cost thousands of dollars that I don't know if I can afford. I don't know what to do...

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nuomi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I got an adorable ragdoll kitten from a breeder about a month ago, and recently he started having problems. He is currently 4.5 months old, and is already neutered. Ever since the night I took him back home he just wouldn't eat a lot. At first I thought it was because of the new environment, but he didn't have any other signs of stress and even as time went on his appetite never increased. I tried changing brand and consistency of food, but nothing worked. Another problem is that he seems to have problem going to the litter box. He urinates and defecate everyday but he tends to vocalize during these times, and he would urinate small amount of urine frequently.

All of these are minor and I thought he just needs more time. However, about a week ago I started noticing that his gait is looking weird, the hind legs seem to be a bit weak. I was afraid that he injured himself or I injured him when I accidentally pulled on his tail. I took him to see two different vets, got blood work and xrays done, everything came back normal with the exception of some inflammation. He had no injuries at all anywhere on the body. The xray did show that his belly is full of feces, which is probably why he wasn't eating. Like I mentioned earlier, he defecates daily, although since a week ago he would defecate outside of the litter box because pieces of feces would get stuck on his fur around the anus, and due to discomfort he would come out of the box. I think this is also due to the weak hind legs. He's also urinating on the floor a lot now, although mostly just in the small room that he stays every night. His hind legs have been getting progressively worse over the course of the week, and now when he walks his hind legs tend to lean on the left side and the left hind leg is especially weak, sometimes even dragging on the floor. The vet suspect something neurological, perhaps a birth defect, but he doesn't have any other signs pointing to neurological disorders. His pupils are fine and his reflexes are fine, just the legs and wobbly gait.

At this point I'm really lost. It's only been a month but we really like him and it breaks our heart to see him walk like that. I've seen somewhere that Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) deficiency may cause neurological problems, so I'm gonna call my vet first thing on Monday. I'm a first time cat owner and don't have experience dealing with these kind of issues, so I just want to see if anyone else had similar experiences. Is it possible for neurological birth defect to be not present at birth but show up in a couple of months? Neurological diagnosis would require neurologist, CT, and MRI, and it will cost thousands of dollars that I don't know if I can afford. I don't know what to do...
Oh I forgot to mention but his other behaviors all seem fine. He's playful and wants to play, no signs of pain or aggression. Initially he would run and jump on the sofa, but now it's getting difficult for him to run, he can only do a few steps, and jumping is getting difficult as well because he would slip off. He still pounces on toys and still wants to follow me everywhere.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. Concatulations on deciding to be a cat parent. Your kitty is cute. What is his name?

I am sorry, but none of these symptoms are minor. He needs a trip to the ER and different vet who specializes in cats.

TCS has an article somewhere about how to find a low-cost veterinary practice for people without enough money.

Plumeria

Leroy's Mommy
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a ragdoll kitten the same age as yours and I am very concerned to hear about your kitty's health issues. He needs help immediately before it's too late. I would go ahead and do the MRI or whatever he needs. If your vet cannot figure out the cause, I would move onto another vet asap. Is there a university veterinary hospital you can take him to? I lost my 9 year old cat to cancer in May and his tests, surgery, and chemo cost over $8,000. I used CareCredit to pay for some of it. I highly recommend getting CareCredit if you're concerned you may not be able to afford his vet care upfront. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is a lovely little one and I am so sorry to hear about his health problems. I would definitely get a second opinion, if you haven't already, because sometimes a fresh set of eyes can see something differently.

As much as I hate to point it out, Ragdolls do have some breed specific health issues that are more common within the breed. One being Mucopolysaccharidosis which can cause a range of problems but the one that is key here is, "By 8 months of age, problems of severe hind-limb mobility or paralysis, and signs of degenerative joint disease can be observed." MPSVI . Given that this is a possibility I would strongly encourage you to find a vet training hospital as they tend to have more advanced testing and newer approaches. My understanding is that the diagnosis would require another set of x-rays at a later date to compare and look for changed in the bones (or DNA testing).

I am not a vet and no one on here can give a definitive diagnosis through the internet. I am seriously hoping I am wrong and that it is something else going on but you should probably ask the vet about this possibility if only to rule it out.