We Want A New Cat. Need Advice

jedduff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

We had 2 cats (Arya and Pixel). One of her (Pixel) got really sick and we had to put her to sleep. She was our daughter and we were really sad.

Both of them got feline coryza. Arya got all of vaccines and recall/booster few weeks ago. Arya vaccines

Vaccines : rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus, panleukopenia, leukemia and rabies.

Me and my wife are ready for a new friend in our house.

The new cat only have her first shot and deworming, nothing else. She is not neutered (we will, of course)

We don't want the new cat be sick. What are the precautions we need before adoption? Quarantine? If yes, how many days?

Also, do you trust animal's insurance? We tried our best to save Pixel, but it was really expensive.

Thanks!

(also, sorry for the bad english, i'm not perfectly billingual)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS although I'm terribly sorry for the loss of your cat, Pixel. :frown: I wasn't quite sure from your explanation if you still have Arya. This would be important to know before bringing a new cat into the house. I would recommend talking with your vet about this matter because you would need to take some precautions. Here are two helpful Articles for your reference: Feline Herpes And Rhinotracheitis
Feline Herpesvirus infection or Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis

Please don't feel you have to apologize for your English, it is quite good. :thumbsup: We are here to help and support you. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jedduff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS although I'm terribly sorry for the loss of your cat, Pixel. :frown: I wasn't quite sure from your explanation if you still have Arya. This would be important to know before bringing a new cat into the house. I would recommend talking with your vet about this matter because you would need to take some precautions. Here are two helpful Articles for your reference: Feline Herpes And Rhinotracheitis
Feline Herpesvirus infection or Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis

Please don't feel you have to apologize for your English, it is quite good. :thumbsup: We are here to help and support you. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask us.
Thanks! Losing a pet is never easy! We still have Arya and she had a Rhino. Thanks again for the links!