We Took Home A Six-week-old Kitten...

shelbyerobertss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there!

So, last Wednesday my Fiance and I brought home our new kitten - yay! We got him from a family member who's cat had an unplanned litter, 4 boys and 1 girl. When we were discussing bringing him home, and when we went to pick them up, we were told they were almost 8 weeks and were all on dry food (neither of us have owned a cat or kitten before). All is good so far - his only bathroom accidents happened on the first day (however I do need to help kitty find his litter box sometimes), he is drinking water and eating his dry food, and is playful but also getting lots of rest.

I guess my concern is that he was too young to be separated from his mom and siblings. After reading online, and observing my kitty, and speaking to the vet about what check-ups, procedures, etc we will need to ensure good health, I began to question his age. It was then revealed by the people we got him from that he was only turning six weeks last Friday (birth date was March 31, 2017). I fully plan on telling my vet how we rediscovered his true age when we bring him for his shots and such, but I'm just worried in the meantime. It is too late to return him to his momma, and we really couldn't imagine not having him now anyway.

I've been racking my brain on things to keep an eye on: so far he is learning quickly how to get around our apartment, jumping and climbing better each day. He playfully climbs us and nibbles sometimes, which we try not to encourage so that he learns not to bite. He's used the bathroom at least two to three times each day since we've had him, and like I said the only accident was on the first day we had him home (now I prompt him by putting him in the box every time he wakes up or finishes eating, and he will go)... is there anything else I should keep my eye on?

Thank you in advance!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Why do you think you were originally mislead about the kitten's true age? Did they separate all the kittens at that age? Do they plan to spay mom?

Your kitten needs 3-4 wet food meals in addition to his dry kitten chow. He may also like his dry food softened with kitten formula, which he should have for a few more weeks since he is no longer nursing.

Shots start at 8 weeks, and he can be neutered at 8 weeks or 2 pounds.

This may help:

Kitten Development Stages - Illustrated Guide

It sounds like your kitten is adjusting well. We'd love to see a picture! :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

shelbyerobertss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the quick reply!

Honestly, I'm not sure. They have a German Shepard, two Pomeranians, and two adult cats plus the litter one had... Maybe they were feeling rushed/cramped? I felt pretty sad when I learned they mislead us. And yes, all the kittens were adopted.

They gave us some wet food too, so I will make sure to start supplementing with that, and pick up some kitten formula after work today!

This is kitty! He loves to explore, and even more he love s to cuddle with us to fall asleep and climb all over us. We don't have a name yet.. still! Although we like Mowgli and Milo kind of!

IMG_3284.JPG

IMG_3376.JPG

IMG_3361.JPG

6CBD17AD-3BF4-44E4-8C8B-0F0B468946CF.jpg

Attachments

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's very cute! While he's so young, you may need to have more litter boxes and confine him to a smaller area that is kitten-proofed. He's too small to look for a litter box when he has to go.

I would insist that your family members spay their cat. Is there any way you can help with that process? It's the only way to stop this cycle.

You also really want to have him in a carrier in the car. It's to safe for him if you get into an accident, and it's not safe for you if something spooks him!

How much and how often are you feeding?

shelbyerobertss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
While I'm unable to help them with the decision/process, I've asked them about spaying their cat!

As for the confinement - when we are not home, he only has access to the living room and kitchen (both are "kitten proof" :) ), where his litter box and food/water are, respectively. When I am home I bring him into other rooms to explore if I see him wanting to get in the closed doors :) Right now I am making food available to him whenever he needs it - I am away from the house a few hours at a time for work every day, so I've been putting small amounts of food in his bowl at all times just in case (same with fresh water).

We do have him in a carrier when we have needed to go in the car. He was just out for a picture as that was about 20 minutes after we first got him and we were excited :)

shelbyerobertss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another question about kitty! :)

As one of you mentioned above, shots start at 8 weeks. Is this when I should worry about de-worming, too?

2azwildcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your kitten is super cute! Have you thought about getting him a friend? Since he is so young, a little friend would be nice.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:lovecat: He's very cute!

Six weeks is younger than preferred, but he's old enough to eat solid foods, so he'll be all right. Twenty-three years ago, I took a feral kitten from momma cat at around 6-7 weeks old and brought him inside. He was my healthiest and longest-lived cat ever. I did have two older cats who helped me raise him. :)

Enjoy your new kitty! He's just lovely.

shelbyerobertss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone! We've since taken him to the vet to get the ball rolling and make his appointments to start his shots, get his de-worming, flea treatment, etc.

We decided to name him Kylo :) <3