"We moved from an apartment to a larger home and our cat(s) loved it!"

egofailure

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping that in this thread, many of you will share your successful moves with your cat(s), sharing with me (and others) what (mostly) went well and anything that didn't.

I'm planning a move from my apartment to my first-ever home in about 3 weeks. As corny as it might sound to some, my cat, Sasha, accelerated my goal of home ownership. I wanted more space for her, as well as the ability to build a Catio, allowing her to get some outside time safely.

Sasha's a "solo cat" type of girl but likes to keep busy. I know that she'll absolutely love the lifestyle upgrade once she's settled, but I'd like the settling part to go as smoothly as possible.

Some details:

1) The move is only about 35 minutes away.
2) It's a 3-bedroom home. Setting up a private room during and just after the move for her will be easy.
3) There will be overlap between my renting and first month of ownership. I'll likely close the first week or so of February, and then have the remainder of the month to gradually move and minimize the stress.

The day prior to the move, I can set up the room with her scent and preferred items. Then, the AM of the move, I can drive her over, set her up in the room, and post a "Do Not Open" sign on the door for those assisting with the move (delivery professionals). (As someone noted in another thread -- I'll also lock the door!) Later that day, after the move happens, I can add her scent to the rest of the house and consider giving her access to more space, based on how she's doing.

Sasha, like most (if not all) cats, loves routines. We play in the AM and PM, which includes treats being chased down the stairs and "couch hangouts." I think the sooner I can re-start those routines, the better.

Here's a few photos of the home. Any suggestions on where along the deck I should set up her catio? I was thinking the window closest to the hot tub (on the deck).

Thank you in advance for all of your shared stories and wisdom!

Attachments

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a nice looking house! I agree that Sasha can't fail to love it once she settles, and a catio is a great idea.

I don't personally have experience of moving with cats, but I've seen other members suggest making the cat the last thing you move, not the first. This means that the cat will come into a quiet, already set up house and is far less likely to get stressed out by all the scary noises of furniture being moved in outside their sanctuary room and get a negative first impression of their new pad. Of course, this wouldn't be so feasible if it increases the risk of Sasha escaping through an outside door while the apartment is emptied. If your apartment has multiple rooms, you could shut her in one away from the main door while all the emptying is happening. Otherwise, I'd agree that it would be best to get her in a carrier and move her first, with an established sanctuary room ready for when she arrives.

Once she's in the new house, I'd recommend acting as if you'd just got her, using her sanctuary room as a basecamp and letting her explore her new home at her own pace. In addition to her scents and her favourite things, I'd definitely recommend using a pheromone diffuser, which will help relax her and build positive associations with the new house.

TCS has an article on safely moving with cats, which should have some more information.

I also have the story of when my parents moved from a small town flat to their current rural house (before I was born). They had two confident three-year-old cats, an unrelated male and female who they'd had since they were kittens. I'm not sure which end of the move my parents brought the cats over from the old house, but I suspect it was probably nearer the end of the process as the new house had needed a lot of refurbishing before they could move. I think my parents kept them inside the new house for a while while they got used to their new surroundings, which went well.

This was back in the 1980s, when it was normal, at least in the UK, to have indoor/outdoor cats who came and went as they pleased, so my parents decided to get the cats used to the big country garden by carrying them round it (I would NOT recommend doing this. Cat with access to a garden should be allowed to explore it at their own pace). They had not factored in that the garden backed onto a field of cows, which the cats had never seen before. The cats took one look at the cows, wriggled free of my parents' arms, shot back into the house, and hid under the kitchen table for the rest of the day! I think the message was "Why have you brought us here?! There are MONSTERS!" The good news, obviously, was that they ran into the new house, so they clearly knew this was home (or at least that it was safe) by that time.

Anyway, they ended up settling completely, making the house and garden their own, and taking the cows completely for granted. The male cat would chase visiting neighbourhood cats out of the garden, so he clearly regarded it as his patch. They'd always just about tolerated each other rather than being a bonded pair, so I think they also liked having the extra space in the house. They lived there for the rest of their lives as two happy, settled cats.

Take home message: Given time, cats will settle into a new, larger house, even if some things scare them initially.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Personally, when we've moved, its not really been a "first or last" choice. Usually its a one day move as we are renters.

I always put the cats in a room with the essentials (a fav blanket or toy can be included in your cat's essentials, it depends on the cat. You know what your cat's essentials are!). This includes a carrier that is ready to go. All people helping move know that this is a "no-no" room until the last things. All other items should already be out of this room.

Then, we pack up the truck. Then everyone else heads off except myself, wife and wonderful family member who is driving us. The doors to outside are closed. We have finished the final look around. Cats go in to the carriers and cats and essentials are packed into the car.

We get to new place. Cats and essentials go to the bathroom. The door is shut. Ideally, the bedroom was packed last and we move the bedroom items in first. We all take a break and cats are moved into the bedroom with their essentials. They now have familiar smells and things around them.

Then we finish the move. The cats stay in the room while we eat moving-day pizza etc. Wonderful people who assisted us head out. We release the cats. They hide anyway. In both houses we have rented, we left the basement door closed for a few days.

The best advice was to play some music low. It helped Nobel to feel safe and calmer. He was always stressed after a move and slow to explore. Sometimes he would stay hidden in my room for a day. We usually would sleep with the bedroom door closed and cats and essentials inside the room with us for night one. Then just after a couple of days, they gained access to the basement as well. Basically we would have music or the radio on for the daytime for the first few days in a new space.

It sounds like you have a good plan in place! I'm sure it will go smoothly. Let her get used to the place for about 4 to 6 weeks before any catio plans.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

egofailure

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

I wanted to drop in and give you all an update on Sasha's big move to our new home! It's been about a week since we settled in, and I'm thrilled to report that she's adjusting wonderfully.

As planned, I followed the advice I received here and set up a cozy room for Sasha with all her familiar belongings. However, I must admit, the transition wasn't without its humorous moments. Sasha seemed a bit nervous during the ride over, and when I left her in the room to focus on the move, I couldn't help but feel a twinge of guilt as I watched her from the window looking a bit perplexed.

After a few hours and the chaos of the move settling down, I checked in on Sasha to find her room looking like a scene from a rock concert aftermath! Blankets from her carrier were strewn about, her cushion cover was on the floor, and her wheatgrass was in disarray. Despite the mayhem, Sasha found solace in her hideaway, and after a bit of coaxing, she emerged for some pets before retreating again.

I took my time getting the rest of the house set up, making sure to scatter Sasha's furniture and blankets throughout to make her feel at home. When I finally let her out to explore, I was relieved to find her curious and confident, with no signs of hiding.

It did take us a few days to get back into our usual routines, especially as I navigated the new space myself (finding my razor took longer than expected!). But now, we're both settling in nicely. Sasha seems to adore the extra space, particularly enjoying following me around and even accompanying me downstairs to do laundry.

One of her favorite spots is a window in the basement where she can watch the world outside—a definite sign that she's feeling comfortable and secure.

I've noticed some positive changes in her behavior too. With no more mice to worry about, Sasha is sleeping better, and she's been even more affectionate than usual, constantly seeking cuddles and pets.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with how Sasha has adjusted to our new home. Thank you all for your support and advice throughout this process—it made all the difference!

I'll be sure to keep you updated on Sasha's adventures in her new digs. And if anyone has tips on setting up a catio (summer goal!), I'm all ears!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey everyone,

I wanted to drop in and give you all an update on Sasha's big move to our new home! It's been about a week since we settled in, and I'm thrilled to report that she's adjusting wonderfully.

As planned, I followed the advice I received here and set up a cozy room for Sasha with all her familiar belongings. However, I must admit, the transition wasn't without its humorous moments. Sasha seemed a bit nervous during the ride over, and when I left her in the room to focus on the move, I couldn't help but feel a twinge of guilt as I watched her from the window looking a bit perplexed.

After a few hours and the chaos of the move settling down, I checked in on Sasha to find her room looking like a scene from a rock concert aftermath! Blankets from her carrier were strewn about, her cushion cover was on the floor, and her wheatgrass was in disarray. Despite the mayhem, Sasha found solace in her hideaway, and after a bit of coaxing, she emerged for some pets before retreating again.

I took my time getting the rest of the house set up, making sure to scatter Sasha's furniture and blankets throughout to make her feel at home. When I finally let her out to explore, I was relieved to find her curious and confident, with no signs of hiding.

It did take us a few days to get back into our usual routines, especially as I navigated the new space myself (finding my razor took longer than expected!). But now, we're both settling in nicely. Sasha seems to adore the extra space, particularly enjoying following me around and even accompanying me downstairs to do laundry.

One of her favorite spots is a window in the basement where she can watch the world outside—a definite sign that she's feeling comfortable and secure.

I've noticed some positive changes in her behavior too. With no more mice to worry about, Sasha is sleeping better, and she's been even more affectionate than usual, constantly seeking cuddles and pets.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with how Sasha has adjusted to our new home. Thank you all for your support and advice throughout this process—it made all the difference!

I'll be sure to keep you updated on Sasha's adventures in her new digs. And if anyone has tips on setting up a catio (summer goal!), I'm all ears!
First, I am so glad the move went smoothly, aside from the initial mosh pit! And secondly, your new home is beautiful and that window seat looks SO inviting!
How big of a catio are you wanting to have? Are you thinking of hiring someone to build it, custom tailored to your wishes, or buying something pre-built?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm late to the thread, and you had an awesome move. Sasha is lucky to have you!

I don't have stories of full-on moves, just "the day the cat came home" with us ...

I don't really recall how Miss Moffit felt, but she was an older cat who we rescued. She was a very self confident kitty even with the rough times she had, so my guess is that she took it all in stride and settled in with no fuss or drama.

Poppy was fairly concerned about everything when we got him home. He'd been with his original family for all of his 4.5 years until one of the kids' asthma required them to rehome him. We worked with him and gave him all the emotional space he required. It was quite a long while before we went out with him into the backyard on a leash.

Mr Captain moved right in on day one, and said by golly this is just like home! He's 8 this year, and the shelter, who found him on the streets several times, determined he's had four homes before we discovered him. (We're guessing because he's a nonstop talker, will wake you if he's hungry at 2:00 am, and is a door darter). One of those homes was for several years, and you can see it in his behavior in how comfortable he is with a recliner/easy chair, and other things like that.

There might be some information here;
Building A Cat Enclosure - A Creative Project for Cat Lovers - TheCatSite

Last edited: