We Moved And Shes Not Happy.

Mia1997xx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Side-Note: sorry if this isn't the appropriate place to put this.

TL;DR Moved house, the cat used to use the litter tray when first moved and after a few days has started using the hallway carpet instead. Will use litter tray if we catch her before she"goes" and voluntarily will walk to the litter tray and use it.

My 12-year-old cat; Tab had always lived in our previous home we moved at the end of May and she is starting to become settled and is venturing further around the house. We moved from a ground floor apartment to a house. She has been an outdoor cat all of her life and really enjoys sun-bathing, but now we have moved she doesn't venture downstairs often and when she does its because she wants to go outside.

When we first moved she automatically started using the litter tray and she was fine but since about 5 days ago she has started to use the hallway as her toilet clawing the carpet beforehand. If we catch her she will happily walk into the bathroom and use the litter tray. It's stressing my family and me out and it is causing arguments. I'm not sure if it is because she wants to go out and is ready or because she is testing us. Sorry this is long I am at a loss at what to do, I hope somebody can help.
Many thanks.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the move, sounds like there is more space! How many litterboxes do you have? I think the recommendation is one per floor.

The only other suggestion I have is to put a litterbox right where she is going in the hallway (not ideal I know). She’s probably trying to mark her territory and have someplace she is comfortable that smells like her. If there is more than one spot, put one there as well. Then every day, move the box a few feet towards your ideal location. That’s something I read Jackson Galaxy did when his cat started peeing outside the box after a move.

As for coming downstairs, when we moved to a house from a one bedroom apartment, it took a few weeks for the two cats to adjust enough to go in all the rooms, and a few weeks more to really relax in the other rooms. It’s a big adjustment.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had new flooring installed and Rocky started peeing in one corner of the room. I took him to the vet fearing he had a UTI. Thankfully he was fine. Still didn't know why he was going outside the litterbox though.
I cleaned the the floor with Natures Miracle (enzyme cleaner) and placed a new box in his peeing spot filled with Cat Attract litter. No more inappropriate peeing! I now mix his litter with regular Tidy Cat. Eventually I will try 100% Tidy Cat and see how that goes.
The first step should always be a vet visit though. Moving is stressful and can contribute to a UTI. It is best to rule out any medical condition.
Good luck!:)