We made it home!! :)

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, last night I took my very first solo car trip home from school back to my parents' for Thanksgiving, about 6 hours away.

The cats did fine. Much less stressful than the last time I had them in the car. I put a blanket over their carriers, and that seemed to help a LOT. Instead of yowling incessantly, Kramer yowled at the beginning and then went to sleep, I think. He only yowled intermittently for the rest of the trip, and it was usually after a loud noise, so I think I woke him up and made him remember he was in the car, which upset him. And then he went back to sleep. :lol3:

However, there was a giant rainstorm close to the end of the drive. Very scary. I was on I-10, and the rain was so bad that me and all the other drivers were going 30 mph with our hazards on... on the interstate. I had to stay behind somebody to align myself with their taillights because I couldn't see the stripes on the road well enough. I was just about to pull over and wait when the rain let up. Then about 10 minutes later, I passed an awful accident, presumably caused by the rain. Only one car, but it was on its roof and crashed into a tree. :eek: They had gotten everyone out by the time I passed it though.

The cats are doing wonderfully with the dog! I wasn't that worried, because even though Bear is a big Labrador puppy, like a 90lb puppy, he's just the sweetest thing, not a mean bone in his body. The cats aren't thrilled with him, obviously, but there hasn't been a fight yet, and they've been able to go up and smell each other and stuff. He's out of the house for the day with my stepdad, and the cats are getting to explore the house. Boots isn't hiding under anything, and he's even letting strangers pet him. He does get a little scared when he's in a room by himself and can't find me (he meows until I find him) but overall he's great.

AND I got the $350 worth of accidental overages dropped from my cell bill today. :clap: What a wonderful Thanksgiving so far!!

Hope everyone is doing well :)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap: That's great! Bummer about the storm - we've driven through those. NOT FUN. So glad you made it safe despite that! Also wonderful to hear the kitties are doing well. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear you made it home safely and that your kitties are doing well!

I love travelling on the highway by myself and have done trips as long as 12 hour in the days before there were such things as cell phones and GPS.

I stop every so often at the side of the road or a gas station to stretch out my legs (important to prevent blood clots), and I usually have some good music playing and the windows open a bit on all sides.  And I've even picked up the odd hitch hiker...which I know isn't really recommended. But the way I look at it is, that not all hitch hikers are serial rapists/killers, and many are just hoboing across the country and looking for a ride.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I LOVE to drive!!! Road trips are just the best. Glad you and the kitties made it there safely. Bear sounds like such a good boy and the cat's must be pretty out-going to be venturing around the house. Have a great time :clap::wavey:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And we made it back!! Despite the awful traffic on I-75 south, and some rain right at the beginning, we made it home in six and a half (ish) hours. I think the cats are used to traveling now; they don't meow constantly anymore, and they just sleep most of the time.

Update on the cat/Bear situation: Big breakthrough happened today just before we left. I was running around packing, but as I was coming through the kitchen I saw Bear laying on the floor, wagging his tail.... and Boots crouching right behind him in a pounce stance, watching it wag. So I stopped to watch the scene unfold, and sure enough, Boots took a great flying leap at Bear's tail. :lol3: Keep in mind that this is a 5-month kitten and a 90-lb. Labrador. Obviously, Bear immediately turned around to chase him, and Boots shot off like a rocket, but I guess this means Boots isn't scared of him. :lol3: Which ALSO means that they will be okay with living with him for a month when I go home for Christmas break in 12 days after finals. I kind of considered Thanksgiving a test run to see whether I could bring them home or whether I'd have to make alternative arrangements, and they did wonderfully. :clap:

How is everyone? Were your Thanksgivings wonderful too? :D