We lost a great family member

hwydave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday my oldest son brought his best friend Happy to be neutered, Happy was one year old. Happy came through the surgery well with no known complications, about an hour later the vet called again to say Happy passed away from an allergic reaction to the anesthesia. I have looked today to see what the chances are of this happening and it seems this is a very rare occurrence. My son is devastated, the two of them were truly best friends. Happy was a beautiful soul and a wonderful friend. We are a family with 10 cats total and they are a huge part of our lives. I just needed a friendly place to talk a little and I found this message board so I hope my rambling is taken from where it is coming from. My son does have another cat Tommy as well so he is not alone. Thanks to anyone out there that may respond.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm very sorry for your family's loss. It must have been a real shock to lose Happy so unexpectedly. RIP, little one. :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hwydave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Tricia, he was a true friend and tender soul.

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i'm so sorry for your loss. he was way too young..

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
What a terrible thing to happen to such a young kitty and your son :(

It's so hard loosing one no matter how many we have and it feels so bad not knowing why! :hugs:

So happy you found TCS, Welcome and again so sorry for your loss.

-Tina

kathaka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry about your loss! It is heartbreaking! I run pet loss support groups for the San Diego Humane Society. Check and see if there is one in your area....it is a safe place to gather with others who feel the same

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about Happy... I know this has to be hard on you and your son - we try to out best for our furry friends, and then something like this comes along.  :(  hugs all around!

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss, too young. Rest in peace sweet kitten...

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. It is truly heartbreaking when a pet passes away from what is supposed to be a minor surgery. I am terrified for any surgery that my cat may need, as I am aware anything can and does happen. It is so sad about Happy. I am so so sorry.
RIP Happy!
You were greatly loved and will never be forgotten!

hwydave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the kind words. My son is thinking about adopting another rescue in a week or so after he has some time to wrestle with the loss,.I told him I think that saving another would be a great tribute to Happy.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you and your son,it always leaves such a hole in our hearts and our lives when they leave us. There is no way in the world your son (or the vet for that matter) would ever have known something like this might have happened, it is so rare as to be almost nonexistent. I hope he doesn't have any guilty feelings about this, it was a horrible accident that no one could predict. Adopting another little homeless soul definitely is a wonderful tribute to Happy, he would never want the one he loved so much to be so sad about him. It also helps to distract one from dwelling too much on what happened, it only brings about heartache. Please know we all feel his pain on this site, we have all been there and know how much it hurts. Bless your son fro giving another little one a chance to have some happiness in their life. RIP sweet Happy, you were taken way too soon, the Rainbow Bridge gained another beautiful angel, and the world is a little darker!

hwydave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Di and Bob thank you so much for your beautiful sentiment, I have no doubt it won't be too long before my son has another buddy in his home. Thankfully he does have another cat Tommy is his name he was an adult rescue so he isn't totally alone. We are seeing Tommy is missing Happy also so we will be looking to find a new baby ASAP!!