we just had a tragedy.

way2curious

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm shocked and worried.

Sister, who died tonight, was one of three kittens who adopted me and relocated from their birth home at the local grocery store truck loading docks. She played all day and appeared to be a healthy and thriving little kitten.
I was busy cleaning and ran the vacuum very quickly in their room. I hesitated to do that at first but thought it would be better to get them accustomed to normal household sounds plus my little Oreck wasn't a match to the noise level they endured behind the Piggly Wiggly.

A few hours later, I went in to check on them and little Sister didn't move. I picked her up and she was warm but limp and seemed to give some response. Looking back, I think I was searching for any glimmer of hope.
It was after midnight when I found her, but I called the vet anyway thinking he would be able to perform some action or procedure that would bring her around. He arrived 10 minutes later (from a sound sleep) Wrapped in a baby receiving blanket, I handed him my sweet snuggle bunny. He quickly examined her and said he didn't feel a heartbeat. We proceeded upstairs to their room where he did a more thorough exam. He said he didn't see anything on an outward basis that could determine her cause of death; weight was normal, no bumps, cuts or bruises and she was found curled up on a baby blanket in the center of the room next to the bed. She was jumping off the bed just fine (climbing up via the blanket), eating, running, etc.

Now I'm paranoid about Tony Tiger and Winnie Pooh. Winnie is twice the weight of the other two but when I was in the room a few minutes ago, he seems a little lethargic and timid. His fur has a different appearance and his eyes look weak.
After the very sudden death of the love of my life and my human best friend, I've been struggling to free myself from this very deep depression. I forgot what it feels like to happy. I'm not wallowing in self pity; I just can't imagine being anything but sad for the rest of my life. I've experienced loss in my life but nothing has left me so broken and empty. It's like the best part of my spirit left early, with him.

Going back to Winnie and Tony Tiger, I'm tempted to request an autopsy (necropsy?) to alleviate some of my fears.
Have there been anymore pet food recalls?
It has been helpful and and comforting to read the posts here. I'm sure the loss of a pet doesn't get any easier no matter how many times you have gone through it.
This is only the second time I have had to deal with it and I was totally unprepared.

Does anyone know if cats experience emotions related to loss of a close cat or human?

Also, does a cat remember a person who played a significant part in their life for very long after that person is gone?

Thanks for being here and now, at last, I'm going to snuggle with Tony Tiger and Winnie and get some much needed sleep.

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How awful for you both to experience such sudden deaths

In answer to the question, yes cats can and do mourn. Some years ago when our old dog died of old age, her best friend, Leo the cat mourned for 3 weeks. He hid in my daugher's bedroom, only coming out to eat and use his litter box. He would sometimes come out and sit in the corner where the dog's bed had been and sit and cry. It was a strange kind of miaow - very plaintive. He would look for the dog too. This lasted for 3 weeks then one day he went back to normal.