We just adopted this cutie

traycleigh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How cute is he? At first he looked just black but as the weeks pass he's getting these spots in his coat. I've been seeing a lot about "black tabby's" but those are more striped vs the spots. This is my first cat as an "adult" 🤣, so forgive me if this is common knowledge. What do we think?

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
:loveeyes::loveeyes::loveeyes::loveeyes::loveeyes:
How adorable
There are a number of different tabby patterns: mackerel (striped), classic (swirls, bulllseye), ticked, and spotted. Your boy is definitely a spotted tabby with white. Love those little white toes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

traycleigh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:loveeyes::loveeyes::loveeyes::loveeyes::loveeyes:
How adorable
There are a number of different tabby patterns: mackerel (striped), classic (swirls, bulllseye), ticked, and spotted. Your boy is definitely a spotted tabby with white. Love those little white toes.
Aw thank you so much!!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Lets see what becomes.... If he is a black spotted tabby (called also for brown spotted tabby, although unusually dark; or if is solid black with white; and has strong ghost markings.
How does his face looks? Sometimes its clear by seeing the face and forebrow.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is gorgeous 😻 I am thinking he is a spotted tabby and maybe part bengal, those look like rosettes developing and there is one bengal pattern where they get dark spots and stripes like this, on a dark background. It is called black melanistic which can happen in dsh/ dlh cats too but it is rare I think. He is also a tuxedo bicolor. A cutie 😀

Last edited:

Falena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are the roots of his fur white when you part it, by any chance?
He's definitely a spotted tabby with white, but I'm thinking potentially black smoke if not tabby ghosting.
One of my cats is a spotted tabby, black smoke with white and she resembled yours somewhat while growing! Her coat was very indecisive while growing up and I'd never heard of black smoke before so came here for help, too :lol:
He is absolutely beautiful, nonetheless :redheartpump:
But a photo of the roots of his fur would be helpful If possible!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a black and white kitten. Not a tabby. He's a kitten which means you can see the ghost markings very clearly. As he gets older it usually fades away. :) All cats/kittens are tabbies but with solids, they usually fade into the background. He would still be classified as a black/white.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve never seen a tabby that dark! He’s adorable. Tabby and tuxie, two for the price of one! Have you named him yet?
He's not a tabby. He's black and white. All kittens have ghost markings, his will either disappear or go away completely (but may be seen in the light sometimes).