We had two cats, siblings, one passed recently at young age. Question about introducing new cat.

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We adopted Walnut and Cashew 4 years ago.

Today is 2 months to the day we had to say goodbye to Cashew (we love you Cashew) due to intestinal cancer. This has just been an awful time in our lives, but Walnut is still our ray of light! They were incredibly bonded litter-mates, best friends, just adored each other. To see one without the other is actually painful.

Walnut has actually adjusted quite well to being without Cashew, but I know we want to adopt and we hope Walnut would be okay with it. Walnut loved to cuddle with Cashew, he still loves to play, very vocal and has a relaxed demeanor. He doesn't run to greet new people, but he's very chill with them around.

We are waiting until May (after a big trip). Our thought is that we would love to adopt two siblings again, preferably male and preferably older than 6 months. We thought that would be a good age. I'm afraid if we adopt an older cat (1 or 2 yrs) that they wouldn't get along as well?
I know it's hard to predict, but Walnut will be 5 at the time we adopt. Is that too old to introduce two little guys? I thought if we got two, they can play with each other and Walnut can watch if he doesn't want to play.

Any advice on who, what, how many to adopt? Age? Male or female? Is waiting 6-7 months too long for Walnut to be without another cat, thus making it harder for him to get used to a new cat?

thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have nothing in the way of experience with this. But, Walnut is not too old to have another cat around - especially considering he was best buds with Cashew (RIP, poor baby :sigh:). There are so many ways you can look at this. Another cat, perhaps one that is older and has lost his owner, for example, would be one way to go. An older cat will be more subdued, and might - once adapted to their new home - like the relaxing comfort in a cat his/her own age. If Walnut is missing companionship, two kittens could drive him crazy and make him unhappy that they each have playmates/a buddy and he doesn't.

And, then you have the other side - if Walnut has adapted well without having Cashew at his side, it could be because he enjoys being the center of attention or that he is just very adaptable in general. If there is any aspect that shows Walnut is grieving, a little bit longer before another kitten(s)/cat(s) might not be a bad idea.

Gender only plays a role, depending on the cat. There are those on this site, however, that will say a female has more 'attitude'.

You could consider fostering a cat or two, and see how it plays out.

Other members will certainly come along soon and share their first hand experiences, but I think you will hear stories across the board on kitten vs kittens vs adult cat, male vs female. In the end, go with your 'gut'.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you!!!

I never thought about Walnut being upset that he wouldn't have his own playmate. We do have our eye on a 2 year old Male that rescue says is easy going and gets on with other cats. Of course he might not be there in May. Maybe we can look at one 6 month or older kitten instead of two.

I dont think Walnut is still grieving. The first week he looked for Cashew, but now he seems completely normal. I think!!! I feel worse for him than I think he does. I'm still grieving unfortunately.

Hopefully more people can give their opinions.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So sorry about Cashew. RIP sweet kitty. :angel:

About getting another cat, or two, here's a TCS article that might have some tips for you.
Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty | TheCatSite

Plus the introductory ones, for when you do adopt.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite
Introducing Cats To Cats | TheCatSite
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat | TheCatSite

Do keep in mind that cat introductions generally take some time, like weeks, and that the new cat(s) should be kept in a separate room/area totally away from the resident cat, and slowly work through the introductions. Generally an older cat accepts a kitten more quickly than another older cat.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would strongly advise against getting 6 month olds; the worst possible age to adopt. True kittens enjoy some sort of biological hard wired protection -- adult cats mass hiss and do a "get away" swat, but they do not attack them. Once a kitten reaches about six months though, they start getting perceived as an adult and that protection goes away. Yet they are still *incredibly* active, and much more likely to bug the heck out of an older cat compared to an adoptee of say 2+ years. So imho, six months is the anti-sweet spot -- don't do that. Adopting young kittens is the easiest and has the best prognosis, unless you can manage to perfectly match the personality/activity level of two older cats, which is a lot trickier than it sounds. IMHO only if you have a very lazy and inactive for years older cat, which may not be a good match for most kittens, does it start to make sense to think about trying to adopt another similarly active older cat. (Well, if you factor in the ease of adoption, saving lives and whatnot your calculus may be different; I'm just talking about what is best for the resident cat.)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would strongly advise against getting 6 month olds; the worst possible age to adopt. True kittens enjoy some sort of biological hard wired protection -- adult cats mass hiss and do a "get away" swat, but they do not attack them. Once a kitten reaches about six months though, they start getting perceived as an adult and that protection goes away. Yet they are still *incredibly* active, and much more likely to bug the heck out of an older cat compared to an adoptee of say 2+ years. So imho, six months is the anti-sweet spot -- don't do that. Adopting young kittens is the easiest and has the best prognosis, unless you can manage to perfectly match the personality/activity level of two older cats, which is a lot trickier than it sounds. IMHO only if you have a very lazy and inactive for years older cat, which may not be a good match for most kittens, does it start to make sense to think about trying to adopt another similarly active older cat. (Well, if you factor in the ease of adoption, saving lives and whatnot your calculus may be different; I'm just talking about what is best for the resident cat.)
Well, the rescue I use doesn't adopt out until after spayed/neutered, so they don't get much younger than 5-6 months.

Seems your advice that with a 5 year old cat, only young kittens have a chance of working out?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the rescue I use doesn't adopt out until after spayed/neutered, so they don't get much younger than 5-6 months.

Seems your advice that with a 5 year old cat, only young kittens have a chance of working out?
Nope, wasn't trying to say that at all. Young kittens are just the easiest and lowest risk. Six month old kittens will be harder on average, as they might be big enough to be viewed as an adult, while having the crazy activity level of a kitten. As long as you do a slow introduction process, the worst case is usually some temporary difficulties followed by toleration/mild distaste. Its just nice when the kitten is younger as you don't have to worry about fighting. You can do a shorter process and leave more of the working it out to them to do on their own.

I don't recall if you were considering trying to adopt an older cat, but if you were, that would be a comparable risk, roughly speaking, depending on whether or not you can find one that matches the personality and activity level of your cat.

That is a strange policy of the shelter. Around here, vets are spay/neutering ever younger but they don't wait on that; shelters adopt kittens out at usually 12-14 weeks, or older if there are a bunch and they dont all go at once or are rescued a little older. Adopting at 5 or 6 months isn't weird or anything; I would just prefer younger than 6 months if I had an older cat at home.

Last edited: