We don't want to anger our neighbors!

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I'm so sorry!

And yeah - the bears do take the bird feeders. That's why we don't put them out on the ground floor anymore. (They broke one of the wrought iron hanging thingies we had out in half!). All the bird feeders are up around the second floor windows now.

Amazingly, the deer and the turkeys still come through - at least so far. We discovered the bear existed here in the summer - and the turkeys and deer were still rolling through in the fall. We still see the deer quite a bit, but haven't seen the turkey since it began snowing earlier in Jan.

Here's a pic of the house - the pictures were taken out the back window. I think it's really cute. It's almost like a log cabin! There's a flat space of about 10 - 15 feet behind the house, then the hill climbs steeply, and in the spring/summer, it's really dense with foliage.

We lived in an RV for basically 10 years before we moved into the house. We built an RV pad next to the house to keep her:

Laurie
Wish I could see the pics
I'm a work and all I've got is that horrible red X. Will have to look when I get home.
As for your bird feeders - I'm not surprised. If I can find the picture my parents took I'll post it. They had their feeder on a 20ft steel pole (1" diameter) and the bear grabbed the steel pole and bent it down to the ground and removed the feeder.
Their strength is amazing! When I lived there I lived in the apartment in my parents cellar and my garbage was locked in a wooden bin. the bear tore the top off the hinges and in the process had run his nails across the concrete wall and left nail marks in the concrete. Deep ones!!!!
My mom finally learned her lesson though. She kept buying multimillion dollar bird feeders and they kept getting taken. She told my dad to go into the woods and get them back.
Ummm...dad wouldn't go for it. So now she buys the cheapies.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your house is absolutely gorgeous! Here's hoping you don't have to move! We just built a house on 5 acres on a dead end dirt road so I know what you mean. We do have 1 house at the very end but it belongs to an elderly woman and her son, so not much traffic there. We had deer and turkeys at the site in the fall, but I think with hunting season and setting the house it spooked them away for now. Can't wait to see what comes wandering up in the spring.

We do have the biggest squirrel I have ever seen! I swear, this thing is abnormal! My husband and I were outback, and heard this thing moving through the woods. My husband told me to be real still...it sounded as big as a bear. He got his camera phone ready...and here comes this HUGE squirrel! I swear, it was bigger than most of the cats! He just looked at us, twitched his tail and meandered along his way. I guess when you're that big in the squirrel world you aren't afraid of anything!