We adopted an 8-month old colony/feral cat - and are frustrated

KathyJB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi - I'm new to the CatSite, and have been reading a lot of the posts about socializing a feral cat. Not only here, but all over the internet. I feel like I've taken 10 steps forward, and 9 steps back in our attempts to help our Siamese adjust to life indoors, with people - just me and my husband. I'll try to keep it short, but it's difficult. I'm a newbie at cat ownership; my husband has had several Siamese over the years (before we met). She was about 8 months old when we adopted her through a local rescue organization. We've had her with us for 3 months now, so she's nearing 1 year old. We first met her in her foster home, where she had been for 5 weeks. She had been part of a colony; the cats were gradually being rounded up and adopted out, after being chipped, spayed, etc. The foster family had been caring for her, and carried her around a lot in a sort of baby sling. They said she liked sleeping next to their cat, and liked the husband. She was very timid, but would come out to the kitchen sometimes. The main thing the foster mom stressed to us was to get her out of her hiding spot every day and handle her.

We set up a spare bedroom as her safe place, and placed the litter box in a nearby half bath. She immediately found a place to hide, behind a bed, where we could not get to her. It was a major undertaking to get her out and hold her, as the fosters recommended. We ended up naming her Heidi because she was always hiding. I'd read conflicting things like - let her do her thing and eventually she'll come out, etc. Well, she would come out only at night to eat and to toilet. We have a camera in the room so we can see what she's doing all the time. Once she escaped into another part of the house and we could not find her. She was hiding for 24 hours until we caught her on camera coming back to eat, and then were able to shut the door that leads out to the main part of the house. We knew she had to be in a place where she felt safe but we needed to be able to interact with her, too. We fixed it so she could not hide behind the bed any more, and she has settled into a protected corner of the room - still awkward to get to, but not impossible.

A month later, we were no further with getting her used to us. She would still only come out at night. And barely tolerated being held. I called it her "zombie mode" where she would sit in the sling with her head tucked way down, pretending we were not there. I have to say I was not consistent with getting her out of hiding every day. But I spent time sewing in her room, played cat-friendly music, talked on the phone, etc. She always allows me to pet her on the head and body, but I still felt she was terrified, and would put her head down so as not to look at me. When she was in her sling, she would often quiver. Then I went out of town for a week - and while I was gone, my husband forgot to close a door, and Heidi escaped into the house again - somewhere. Long story short - she was missing for a total of 9 days, and never came out to eat or use the litter box. We watched the camera constantly and had it set to alert us if she ever appeared. We honestly thought she was dying somewhere in the house. We couldn't imagine her willingly going that long without food or water. On day 9, the camera caught her going to eat. We were ecstatic. But I felt that we basically regressed to Day 1.

Small victories since then have included seeing her play with toys when she's out at night, and groom herself. And lately I can hold her without her quivering. I used to reach my hand toward her nose in the early days; she would ignore me. Now she stretches her head out curiously, to sniff me. Great! And she comes out a lot during the day - but again, only when no humans are in the room. The minute I walk into the room, she runs back into her corner. Then yesterday she began showing her teeth and hissing at me!! Now I'm confused and not sure where this is going. And I feel we're not making much headway in the socializing department.

I read the article about the 800 feral cats that were socialized by the Pahrump, Nevada "Best Friends" organization. A 9-step process that makes perfect sense. And I watched a 3-part video from the Urban Cat League about feral kittens called "Tough Love." Again, behavior modification techniques, and they all make sense.

But I'm not sure what to do with Heidi at this point. We found out recently that the foster family adopted out the cat they believe was Heidi's mother. I wish we had known; we might have considered adopting her, too. Heidi and her two humans are not having such a great time. She has her life, and we have ours, and rarely do they meet. Not much of a life for her, we feel. We wondered if we should attempt to get the family who has her mother, take Heidi, too. Or do we soldier on and keep working with Heidi - perhaps in a different way. Do we start all over with the socializing steps and maybe this time put her in a crate while we do this? Not try to pick her up? Not put food out for her to eat when we're not around, i.e. withhold food and get her to eat in our presence? Any other techniques we can try? I feel frustrated and defeated. Is this going to take years? Are we going to own a cat that we only see on camera?

Help! (and thanks for listening)

Kathy & David

Last edited by a moderator:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
maybe this time put her in a crate while we do this?
No, I wouldn't.
Not try to pick her up?
Yes. She needs more confidence, which she is gaining.
withhold food and get her to eat in our presence?
I don't think this is necessary.

I'm actually not at all sure why you're not happy with her giant steps forward in her attitudes and behaviors. (She's a cat, you don't know what caused the hiss). She is finding her way in your world, on her time.

Your expectations are such at this point that it sounds like you're nearly ready to give up on her, when on the other hand, when you know for a fact that she's a timid cat, this;
lately I can hold her without her quivering. I used to reach my hand toward her nose in the early days; she would ignore me. Now she stretches her head out curiously, to sniff me.
seeing her play with toys when she's out at night, and groom herself.
This is huge. I can't stress enough how incredibly marvelous this is for this baby to feel this comfortable and content.

Allow her to be herself and respect that. Love her, don't push her, and let her come to you.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Help! (and thanks for listening)
:hellosmiley: and welcome TCS!

Thank you for adopting Heidi and for giving her a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary to live out her life :clapcat:

Cat are of different nature and socializing a cat takes time depending on what the cat has gone through before coming over to a new place. Some are more friendly due to the exposure they had and some are more skittish maybe due to the experiences they have gone through. No matter what it is, it takes time and sometimes it's quick and sometimes it takes a longer time.

For Heidi's case, since she was with a pack before and have been at the last foster's place for 5 weeks and she's kinda used to it already. Now she's over at your place for just 3 months, she needs adjustments. It's easier to socialize a younger kitten and Heidi Is nearing 1 year old since you adopted her at 9 months old.

A lot of things is going through her mind now because of the change from growing up and having company of other cats and now she is taken away and being left alone. This is not a bad thing, it's good that she's adopted into a good home just like your. it's just an experience and adjustment she has to go through and get over it.

Hiding is normal when cats gets into a new environment as they are weary and need to hide to protect themselves. I see that there is some progress already and now Heidi lets you sniffs your hand and play with toys in the night. She is slowly coming out of her self and gaining confidence and as for playing in the night is because she felt safe when no one is around. A real timid frighten cat will never even budge when no one is around and she does not quiver when you hold her is a good sign.

And for her hissing, it's normal. Many things are going through her head right now as to whether to really put her trust in you and therefore sometimes she sniffs you and sometimes she hiss at you. Hissing is to tell you that she cannot be intimidated by you and therefore you have to approach her in a different way. Always announce your arrival by calling her name in a sweet and loving voice and don't pop into the room suddenly without notice and also make as little noise as you can while un the room. Cats don't like loud sounds and loud sounds terrify them and that is what we tell members to play soft classical music in the room for their rescues.

Looking at the situation, with the right application, you can win her heart over pretty quick. Leave some of your clean unwashed non perfume attires with her in the room and also place a few towels where she's lays. This is to soak up her scents and also she'll get use to your scents. Cats go by scents and routines. After the towels have soaked up her scents, place a few of the towels around the room so that when she moves around, there's familiar scents. This will boost her confidence in coming out.
Try to block up as much hidey holes if you can. Place a cardboard box in the room with her toys and sprinkle sone cat nips there. Cats like boxes and she can use that to hide if she needs too and face the box at an angle so that it does not face the door.

When you are in the room, sit yourself on the floor or lay on your tummy to make yourself small and making yourself small is not intimidating to her and you don't look like a giant and a threat to her. Have a treat or food in your hand and play with her. Use a cat wand or a ball to play with her. Let her get use to the playing routine with you while you are in the room. This will help get her out of hiding.

Associate yourself with food and let her know that food comes from you and not that food appear suddenly in the middle of the night. She must associate you with all good things.

If she's hiding, never pull her out or go near her. By doing these two things, she'll feel cornered and she has no where to flee and hide, she'll turn aggressive to defend herself which you don't want this to happen later in her life. Give her time and let her explore the room at her own will Once she sense that you are of no threat to her and she feels safe, she'll eventually come out. Just don't be discouraged through this socializing process and most importantly is never betray her trust.
Visit her many times a day and leave a night light on for her in the night.

Remember, love, patience and routine rules the day.

Do keep us updated and we'll try our best to help you and Heidi.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Start blocking off all the hidey holes. A hidey hole is anywhere a cat can get to that you can't easily dig it out. Set up at least one cat condo. Make places your cat can get into, feel secure and where you can easily get to the cat.

You are not the humans your cat is used to dealing with. She may need time before she's comfortable letting you handle her. That doesn't mean you ignore her. You want her to know you're there. Talk to her. Be a presence but give her a little space. Set feeding times. Don't free feed. You want your cat to know you and your husband are the Keepers of the Tinned Mice. That puts a powerful tool in your toolbox.

Be patient. Be present. Pay attention to her, but don't be constantly handling her for the moment. She'll start to come around and before you know it, she'll be constantly wanting attention.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KathyJB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm actually not at all sure why you're not happy with her giant steps forward in her attitudes and behaviors. (She's a cat, you don't know what caused the hiss). She is finding her way in your world, on her time.

Your expectations are such at this point that it sounds like you're nearly ready to give up on her, when on the other hand, when you know for a fact that she's a timid cat, this;
Thanks for your perspective. Sometimes it takes another person's viewpoint to see things that I do not. I feel Heidi's little steps towards adjusting are encouraging, but I didn't see how big a deal they were in totality. Kind of like looking at the trees and not seeing the forest. I was thrilled to see her playing, as she ignored the toys for so long. I thought she'd be like that forever. Then I was taken aback by her new hissing behavior and began to think I had been doing something wrong.

Having never done this before, maybe my expectations were unrealistic. And I didn't intend to sound like I was ready to give up on her. It was more of a thought like -- if she can have a better life in a home with another cat - her mother - then should I consider letting her go (not that anyone is asking)...

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
In addition to sitting quietly near them, giving them a place to feel safe, talking to them constantly in a low soothing tone of voice, etc., I discovered that it’s better to let new kitties come to you, not try to reach out and pet them. I adopted Mocha, a three-year-old semi feral kitty, in October 2017. No one could touch her at the rescue place (where I also volunteered)...including me.

I did a lot of reading about how introduce a scared cat to a new environment, and one of the recommendations was to sit on the floor and put your hand out with the back of your hand to the kitty. It took a lot of time and patience (and an aching arm from holding my hand six inches in the air for long periods of time), but gradually she came closer and closer. She’d smell my hand, then dart away again. Finally, she rubbed tentatively on my hand. I just kept my hand still. As soon as I reached for her, she would dart away. We just repeated the back of the hand outstretched over and over and over until finally she let me gently run my hand down her side.

It took five months before she would come up to be petted, although she occasionally would revert if I reached out toward her too quickly. It also made her very nervous if I reached my hand out above her; I had to come in low by her side. My husband was too impatient to wait for her to come to his hand. He reached out every time, and every time she backed off and skitter away from him.

I never tried to pick her up. She would have panicked…and I would have ended up in the ER. (That actually happened to a staff member at the rescue. Mocha panicked and lashed out with tooth and claw.) Even now, after more than four years, I don’t try to pick her up. She clearly hates it and starts flailing around although she doesn’t try to bite or scratch to get away. But she’s so sweet and affectionate now and a total lap cat. It took a long time, and we had to be very patient.

Every cat is different: different personalities, different experiences. But I think patience and perseverance are the keys: the patience to work through their fears and the perseverance to be present in their lives despite their seeming rejection of us…being near, talking to them, trying to connect. It’s so worth it!

KathyJB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I appreciate your response.

Start blocking off all the hidey holes. A hidey hole is anywhere a cat can get to that you can't easily dig it out. Set up at least one cat condo. Make places your cat can get into, feel secure and where you can easily get to the cat.
Yes, we blocked off all holes (we call them "Heidi holes"). We believe she was way back in the recesses of our office closet, behind a heavy safe, during the 9 long days she was missing. Now we keep the office door closed. As far as a condo, she now likes to spend time on a small end table in her room, and on a tall box in the corner, so she has two above-the ground spots to sit. But nothing to get into, per se. My guest room/sewing room is being gradually taken over!
Set feeding times. Don't free feed. You want your cat to know you and your husband are the Keepers of the Tinned Mice. That puts a powerful tool in your toolbox.
When we first brought her home, we left her food out until she would eat it. She ate once a day (at night). I kept offering food in the morning and in the evening, and she now eats twice daily, after I've left the room. I keep to a set time, and put the food dish close to her nose first before setting it down. Or she can see me from her corner spot setting it down. I knew that was important for her to associate food with us. Keepers of the Tinned Mice. HA HA! I've been giving her half wet, and half dry kibble. She eats the wet right away, but I've been leaving the dry, which she sometimes finishes before the next mealtime, or overnight. Should I take away the dry each time if she doesn't eat it along with the wet? Or maybe I should switch to all wet or all dry. I understand if this is a question you may not want to give advice about.

Thanks for your encouragement!

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
After finding out how dry food is made, I would recommend cutting it out of a cat's diet. If your cat likes dry food, reserve it for the occasional treat. If you use dry food as a treat, think of it as unhealthy junk food and limit it accordingly.

When I took road trips with my sons when they were young, we'd always take books on tape to listen to. We borrowed one from my grandmother called The Autobiography Of Foudini M. Cat which was written in the first person with Foudini the cat as the point of view character. Foudini called his human Keeper of the Tinned Mice which I think is a wonderful title for a proper cat guardian.

I recommend this book to all cat guardians. It's both entertaining and insightful (if a bit dated).

KathyJB, stop fretting. It sounds like you're making great progress! GO GO GO!

KathyJB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After finding out how dry food is made, I would recommend cutting it out of a cat's diet. If your cat likes dry food, reserve it for the occasional treat. If you use dry food as a treat, think of it as unhealthy junk food and limit it accordingly.
Yes, we did a lot of research about cat food. An all-dry diet is a big contributor to kidney problems. And they say even the "worst" wet food is better than any dry, because of the moisture a cat will get when eating it. We have another cat (since July 2021) - an outdoor working cat - because we live on an island that has a rat problem. So much of a problem that we've had our vehicles chewed up, including a new camper van. Anyway, outside cat is helping, although not catching anything. He's more a deterrent at this point. But my husband ventured into making our own cat food, which was a LOT of work. I think he just wanted a fun meat grinding appliance to grind up raw turkey and bones, etc. And the cat didn't like it. So he now gets half wet and half dry that's dispensed from an auto feeder in the garage. I think I will switch to wet for Heidi. I really need to weigh her to find out how much to feed her. My husband thinks she looks thin.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the site - - glad you found your way here! The wonderful people on this site helped me through some rough feral situations earlier in my "feral career" - - they kept me sane. After reading your first post - - and the wide range of advice from some very long-term members with lots of knowledge - - - still thought I'd put my two cents in. :) We often foster (and sometimes adopt!) feral/semi-feral cats and kittens to socialize them. I loved reading you'd watched the videos from Best Friends and from the Urban Cat League. Both are great videos and great sources (this site's library is also chock full of info you should check out!) - - and hopefully between seeing those, all of your reading, and now joining this site you'll see there are as many ways to socialize a kitty as there are kitties. Like people, every cat's different, so gathering as much knowledge as possible is great (so sorry if I reiterate someone's advice from above - - then you know at least 2 people have the same advice!! :lol:).

I agree very much that you're actually doing better then you think! I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom - - I'm glad she has you. Many people would have given up (which at best would have landed her in a shelter where - you can tell from your time with her - she would have been absolutely miserable). It says ALOT about your patience and your heart that you're willing to go down this road with her. I think the biggest thing to take from what everyone's saying is that she needs time. Since she'd basically grown up feral - - she'd been taught by her mom that her very life depending on being fearful. Being afraid kept her alive. Try and remember that when you deal with her (it really helps me when I'm frustrated during a new socialization). She'd just barely gotten over the fear of her foster family - and then her "reward" was being removed from her safe place and safe people and going somewhere to start over (if only they understood our language!).

When we socialize we do initially keep them in one area - gives them a place to settle into, and a place to run back to once she's able to be out and about more in the house. As a general rule we during socialization we try to never offer wet food without the kitty seeing that YOU are the provider of it - - and all things YUM! We also work alot with Gerber's Stage 2 Chicken baby food (this is the one we have the best luck with - - we've only had a few not love it out of the dozens and dozens and dozens we've worked with - - if you use any other, double check it has no garlic or onions in it). I sit in the room, and using an extendable spoon (yup - Amazon has those), offer her some without getting too close. I then keep shortening the distance - with most eventually letting us gently stroke them while they ate. But it's a process! I'm also very big on letting them know I'm coming into their room - - we always make up goofy songs we sing to them, so we sing those in a soft, high voice as we come toward their door. Then they learn that you won't scare them out of the blue - which goes a long way! Hubby and I work from home, so we visit the kitty room as often as possible for as long as possible. I take my laptop in and softly read them the emails I go through, etc. The goal is getting her to understand you're just a wonderful, food-bringing part of her new home!

And I agree with many above - I never force picking them up, especially while they're still so fearful. In my 30-ish (I'm old!) years of doing this, I've learned that this reinforces their fear that they'll be whisked off the floor without their approval (again - that darn language barrier!). I work up to that by getting them to eat in my lap (bring in the baby food again!), and moving slowly forward from there. Even then it helps to know a VERY large portion of cats -- even very socialized cats -- never enjoy being picked up. We have an ex-feral we TNR'd that's become VERY social....until you try to hold her and pick her up!!! So we enjoy her other many methods of showing her love for us and vice versa. Ever time I tried I set our relationship back. I still would LOVE to hold her - but I now force myself to stop trying because she hates it (took a bit for me to realize I was doing that for ME, not her!).

And - as Furballsmom Furballsmom noted -- you're absolutely moving in the right direction. Her eating in front of you is BIG. As is her not quivering. I know 3 months sounds like FOREVER - - but when socializing an unsocialized cat, it's on their timeline. I was told when I first joined this site that socializing feral/semi-feral/poorly socialized kitties seems like we're teaching the cats - - but in reality, they're teaching US patience! And that I needed to remember that my idea of how socialized looked may not be the kitty's. Took a bit to really sink in - but once I let it, those 2 pieces of advice changed my whole vision of what socializing looks like.

I have complete faith that anyone who's seeking out as much information as possible is someone who can make this work for you guys AND Heidi. The timeline may need adjusting - - but you'll do it. And NEVER EVER be afraid to come here to ask for more advice (and of course, to show off any great new strides you've all made)! No question's too goofy - chances are someone on this site has had the same questions. Now go write that new "I love Heidi and I've got her yummy food..." ditty! :cheerleader:

KathyJB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In addition to sitting quietly near them, giving them a place to feel safe, talking to them constantly in a low soothing tone of voice, etc., I discovered that it’s better to let new kitties come to you, not try to reach out and pet them.

I did a lot of reading about how introduce a scared cat to a new environment, and one of the recommendations was to sit on the floor and put your hand out with the back of your hand to the kitty. It took a lot of time and patience (and an aching arm from holding my hand six inches in the air for long periods of time), but gradually she came closer and closer. She’d smell my hand, then dart away again. Finally, she rubbed tentatively on my hand. I just kept my hand still. As soon as I reached for her, she would dart away. We just repeated the back of the hand outstretched over and over and over until finally she let me gently run my hand down her side.
I can imagine your arm was aching! I initially tried the back-of-the-hand offering, but was always met with a blank look. So I was excited when last week, Heidi tentatively moved her nose towards my hand - not quite touching it - but definitely something different from before. We have always been able to pet her, although she would often shrink back. So I'm just offering the hand and maybe a finger scratch on the top of her head for now. I want her to know that I am not going to try and pick her up for a while. I often regret that the foster urged me to pull her out of her spot and hold her every day. They told me she stayed in the soft sling with them at an all-day adoption event! I would feel guilty if I let a day or two go by without holding her. I should have realized that her behavior in her new home (our house) would be different.

KathyJB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi- you've gotten some terrific replies :)! I wondered what you thought of tabbytom tabbytom 's suggestion above regarding a nightlight?
Oh, yes - lots of terrific replies. I'm so grateful. You guys are like my personal therapists, making me feel much better (and Heidi, too, by proxy). I'm still trying to respond to everyone! But yes, I have always kept the lights on low in Heidi's room at night. I never liked the idea of leaving her completely in the dark at the end of the day. Especially when she was initially only coming out at night. We have smart lights, so I turn them down to 10% or 20%. Last night I also added a night light to the bathroom, where her litter box is. The one we had in there before was motion-sensitive and I doubt she was triggering it.

I can see with the camera in her room that she is fascinated by the television on a dresser. I'm sure she sees her reflection in there. I have thought about playing long YT videos of other kitties? or birds? - wondering if that would interest her. In fact now that she is more active in the daytime, she still spends time with her nose up close to that screen.

KathyJB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for such an informative reply. I feel much better in knowing that I'm already doing a lot of things you suggested, and learned a few more tips that are very helpful.

And for her hissing, it's normal. Many things are going through her head right now as to whether to really put her trust in you and therefore sometimes she sniffs you and sometimes she hiss at you. Hissing is to tell you that she cannot be intimidated by you and therefore you have to approach her in a different way. Always announce your arrival by calling her name in a sweet and loving voice and don't pop into the room suddenly without notice and also make as little noise as you can while un the room.
Oh boy, do I understand that now. I used to tiptoe towards her room to see if I could catch her out and about. But she always heard me anyway, and would jump into her hiding spot. Lately I had been spending more time in her room, working on a sewing project. I think she got fed up with me being around. So I got the hiss and the teeth. I was taken aback. I realized after you said this, that I am just scaring her. So I have changed my habits and make sure she knows I'm coming, by talking to her before I get to the door. Just a moment ago, I forgot - and went into her room to put something away. There she was, out - and she looked at me with her teeth bared, with a hiss. Of course she would do that!

Of the other tips you've given, most of them I am using already:
  • Blocking hiding places
  • Keeping low when near her
  • Visiting often (I am home most of the time)
  • Making sure she knows I bring The Food
  • Regular feeding schedule
  • Playing David Teie's specially-composed cat music
  • Talking on the phone while in her room
  • Low lights in her room at night
But I haven't tried using towels for scent, or my own clothing. Definitely will do that.

Place a cardboard box in the room with her toys and sprinkle sone cat nips there. Cats like boxes and she can use that to hide if she needs too and face the box at an angle so that it does not face the door.
Her hiding spot has a narrow opening that allows her to see the whole room and faces the door. She is not completely exposed and can back up out of sight, or choose to peer out - which she does frequently. That's okay, isn't it, or does that potentially make her nervous? Should I block her view? I only bring this up because you mentioned the toy box not facing the door.

KathyJB

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I spent a few hours sewing in the same room with Heidi this afternoon. I talked to her. I looked over at her from time to time, and this is what I saw. Her hiding spot is in a corner, next to a box, a straw hamper, and my sewing tools box.

PXL_20220419_193843522.jpg

She's watching me. I did my slow-blinking and half-closed eyes thing, and it was so funny. She blinked slowly and then nearly closed her eyes completely. I couldn't help but laugh.

PXL_20220419_194800011.jpg
Later, she was relaxed enough that she went to sleep!

PXL_20220419_201541350.jpg

It was a good day!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Just a moment ago, I forgot - and went into her room to put something away. There she was, out - and she looked at me with her teeth bared, with a hiss. Of course she would do that!
One other way to alert her that you are on the way and entering the room is have a toy or ball or a cat wand with a bell on it and ring it as you walk and call her. Then before you enter the room, peek in and play a little peekaboo with her. Then use the toys and play with her.

She does not like to be spooked and therefore your sudden entry could have spooked her and she's showing her teeth and hiss. The showing of teeth and hissing will be gone soon once she's more settled. Right now, main thing is to build up her confidence.

Her hiding spot has a narrow opening that allows her to see the whole room and faces the door. She is not completely exposed and can back up out of sight, or choose to peer out - which she does frequently. That's okay, isn't it, or does that potentially make her nervous? Should I block her view? I only bring this up because you mentioned the toy box not facing the door.
Since her spot that she retreats to is able to see the door and guess she's quite used to that as a look out point, I think it's ok. At first I thought that she was so afraid and hid herself where she can't see the door and thus I asked you to place the cardboard box side ways so that she don't face the door.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I spent a few hours sewing in the same room with Heidi this afternoon. I talked to her. I looked over at her from time to time, and this is what I saw. Her hiding spot is in a corner, next to a box, a straw hamper, and my sewing tools box.

She's watching me. I did my slow-blinking and half-closed eyes thing, and it was so funny. She blinked slowly and then nearly closed her eyes completely. I couldn't help but laugh.

Later, she was relaxed enough that she went to sleep!

It was a good day!
Very good progress. Keep up the good work.