Way too many cats!

barb p 451

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

Glad to have a place just to talk about this - by most definitions I'm a Crazy Cat Lady.

We have 11, none sought out.  Some came with pregnant mothers or as newborn kittens; one was a gift during a time of deep mourning for the passing of a 20-year-old kitty.  One was just flat rescued from a neglectful owner, half starved and flea riddled.  During the Great Recession shelters couldn't give cats away, so those in need were added to the collective.

For 30 years strays were welcome if they could get along with those already in residence.  We live in the country and so they were mostly outside.  After many years, and learning the hard way about the dangers of cars, stray dogs, feline leukemia, and the heartbreak of dead songbirds, they are now inside residents.  Eleven.  Inside. 

The last starved rescue put us over the edge - took a while to discover who was peeing, or rather how many, and the rescue can set an Olympic record for height and distance with his marking.  All are speutered, fed premium food, medically cared for, and housed with compatible pals. My tolerant husband has constructed large walk-in runs with towers in the walk-out basement - plenty of window light, radio in the daytime,  access to protected outdoor space for fresh air and sunshine.  Diapers are worn upstairs for the ones that can't be trusted when they come up in groups of two or three for personal attention.

I don't mind the time or expense much as my children haven't seen fit to give me grandchildren yet (and there are worse ways to spend your time and money than on lovely cats), but they all want to be upstairs, all the time.  I can only spread myself so thin. 

I feel guilty and overwhelmed at times and unsure just how much one-on-one attention is enough. 

Thanks for reading, as cat folk perhaps you have some perspective on this.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Nice to have you on The Cat Site.

Thank you for all you've done for these cats, it's nice to hear from someone who takes such good care of those that need our help. I have too many cats too, rescued feral kittens, feral cats that got too old to take care of themselves and abandoned pets that were dumped near my house. I have a big outdoor enclosure, which makes things a lot easier, and a very understanding husband too.

There are a lot of us here doing the same thing as you, we're always happy to chat or to listen when ever you want to talk about your cats.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your gang, I'm sure with that many cats at home you have plenty of funny stories to share.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

I just wanted to say thank you for giving all of these kitties a home! I am sure they understand one and one time is difficult when they all want your loving :) I'd love to see photos!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

barb p 451

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the kind words!

I will have to figure out how to add photos - there are plenty, but I'm really bad with computers.

It's like running a toddler daycare where they all want to sit on your lap.  They're all so wonderful, how to give equal affection?  Same reason they all stayed here - after you get to know them as individuals, how do you decide that one ore more are less special than the others, and let them go.  And in our case, letting them go to a shelter, because we know nobody who wants more pets.

Well, I figured it out, sort of.  Needs rotating and wrong photo - this is the Humpty Dumpty pose and there are better ones - this is Joey, the gift kitty to ease my mourning heart - a gift from my daughter, found on the road in front of the vet's office and was living there.  Well fed, as you can see!

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, thats sweet what you and your husband have done for them. I did laugh about the olympic sprayer. 
 But glad he is with you, not many would put up with that behavior. Joey's a very handsome cat. I have a male named Joey, he is not a tabby, he is a smoke tuxedo.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have a beautiful family there, and who says you don't have grandchildren??? I am looking at some beautiful, healthy ones right here!!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bless you! My high was seven, and all rescues and strays over the years. All were fed, loved too much (spoiled), and given vet care. All lived 18 to 21 years. Last one of that crew went over the Rainbow Bridge in April, but I still miss all of them.

I took in a new pregnant stray in February, and her four children are now 12 weeks old. Mom's been spayed, and babies are going in by two's this Saturday and next for fixing. I cannot bear to part with any of them, so this crazy cat lady now has an instant new family of five!

I love what you are doing! I don't think it's crazy at all. Some people collect dolls, sea shells, old cars, art, you name it - and they dedicate whole rooms and garages to their collections too! Why shouldn't we? :) :) :)

barb p 451

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Very good point - why is having lots of (well cared for) critters hoarding or crazy when somebody with a property and multiple buildings full of metal stuff is a "collector"?

It does hurt to lose those really old ones - our last several were between 18 and 22 when we had to let them go.

And yes, right, I do essentially have grandkitties.

So sarthur2, you with the mom and four babies and me with the mom and five babies - one of my daughter's friends calls that a Crazy Cat Lady Starter Kit.  Ha!

You are all making me feel better.  More pictures if I can find them...

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The calicos are beautiful. My first cat was a calico Maine Coon.  I noticed the one on the right has a white-dipped tail. Very cute, much like my Paul and Sylvester. 
 Beautiful cat family.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Crazy Cat Lady Starter Kit! Love it! I'll have to share that pearl with my own 18-year-old daughter! :)

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Have you ever seen this?

If they make a doll for it, there must be a few of us out there, right? :lol3:

My high was seven as well. We had three young-ish ones (4-5 years old) and then took in the four elder kitties of a friend who died. Three of those have passed on so now we've got four. I thought seven put me squarely into Crazy Cat Lady Land, but after I joined this site, I found out there are plenty of people here who have more than that. You're in good company. :nod:

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
betsygee betsygee

Where in the world did you find that? I love it! Is it on Amazon? I would love to get my hands on one of those! It's hysterical - and so apropos! :)

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
betsygee betsygee

Where in the world did you find that? I love it! Is it on Amazon? I would love to get my hands on one of those! It's hysterical - and so apropos! :)
Isn't that great? My stepdaughter sent me the photo--it is on Amazon.
I thought for sure I'd get one for Christmas, but I didn't. :bawling: :lol3: I may have to buy one for myself!

rezbaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh my , thank you so much for your post. . I feel better that someone 'out there ' understands .

this is a time of crisis for many animals domestic or wild.

You are not choosing this . However you are stepping up to the plate and have tremendously helped stop more poor souls be brought into this world. Due to the chosen  unconsciousness of so many.. there is a simple solution if everyone would just help in their neighborhood .  You wouldn't have 11 cats in your home.    don't mind the crazy at lady title. However  to me you are a true humanitarian,compassionate, empathic human being. Boy do we need more in the world like you...

Thank you

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These kitties look so happy and beautiful!  I think it is great how well you care for them.  I only have one, my Speedy, but someday I hope I can be in a position to care for more.  This is a great photo!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
betsygee betsygee

Thanks for the link! I think a few of my "cat" friends may be getting one of these for Christmas! :)

barb p 451

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm going to have to look for one of those dolls too - apparently six is the cutoff to be considered a CCL?  What does that make me at 11?

Here is the Olympic champion squirter - weighing in at 50% more than he did when we rescued him.  And I've received a couple of lovely notes from people that do not appear in this thread and that I can't figure out how to respond to - so thanks to you, and I'm sorry I'm so inept.

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Norachan It's a wonderful territory.  I won't let my husband read this post cuz to be honest I'm almost jealous.  I have 5 and when I tell people this I get that "look".  You all know what I'm talking about.  I had 6 but Newman escaped from the house almost 3 weeks ago and is still lost to me.  I miss his presence in the house and am hoping that he'll come home one of these days.