Way too cuddly

fuzzyangel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I recently adopted my young cat, Penny Lane, about a week and a half ago (see photo hehe). She is 8 months old and she was brought to the shelter as stray. I've always had a cat but my other cats had been quite sassy and independent. They were beautiful and loving but it feels as though Penny is attached to us with super glue! Whenever we're sitting on the couch, she has to be on top of us purring and snoozing in between. She'll periodically get up for a snack and promptly return to cuddles. One thing I noticed is that her body is completely limp when she does this. Sometimes she's in an annoying position, or someone needs to move, and since she won't budge, we have to pick her up to move her. It's like she's in a trance or something...but as soon as there's even a faint sound coming from the door, her head will poke up.

Is this normal behaviour? Or is this something she may grow out of? It's been a long time since I've had such a young cat and it's much different than what I'm used to. Does anyone know what this behaviour means? Hopefully it means she's happy and I sure hope she doesn't grow out of it!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a cutie! I don't have a lot of experience, but my cat is totally like this. We got her pretty young (less than a year), and she's still like this 6 years later. Maybe that's just her personality.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When our new adoptee Cocoa came to us, when she wasn't hiding and we were able to get hold of her, she was extremely needy for affection.  The first few weeks, she really couldn't seem to get enough of it.  I think she required some confirmation that we wanted her or something.

Now, 2 months later, she's much more independent, which is great.  Once she started feeling more comfortable in her surroundings she didn't need us as much to make her feel better I guess.  She still is very loving, but not as needy as she was.  It's better this way, as it shows her becoming more confident around us, our resident cat and our home.

Of course, some cats don't change.  Yours might always be that way.  Enjoy it while you can, just in case it does change :)

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is cutie!   I don't have any experience w/ a young one like that either. Angel "adopted me" 4 years ago when he was 5.

The first year, he would lay on my stomach or chest when I was laying on the couch watching t.v.  I loved it. I would watch him while he slept.

whiskers & paws twitching. One time he was making a sort of suckling sound. I wondered if he was dreaming he was nursing. It was so sweet!

Once & a great while, I will hear him doing that in his sleep again.  So, as sivyaleah said, enjoy it while it last. It may change. Angel won't sleep on me anymore. He's not even a lap cat. He is Mr. Independent. He will occasionally get up on the end of the couch w/ me when I have a certain blanket out, but other than that, I have to wait until he is sleeping by my side at night,  or for cuddle & scritches  time in the morning, before we get up.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mooch would be on me 24/7 if she could!  Before my kids were born I'd come home from work, change clothes and sit down on the couch and Mooch would be right up on me.  She will be 8 years old on the 24th and I've had her since she was tiny.  Now she waits till the kids are in bed and then she will be up on top of me.  As a kitten she'd even sit on my shoulders like a scarf.  She sure doesn't fit up there anymore!

tigertigertiger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe your cat had a scary experience at the shelter? Although (to my understanding) they were in good hands, she probably got a lot of bad vibes that scared her.

Maybe she's just showing you guys how thankful she is for taking her in?

I would try playing with your kitten for a bit to get her tired, and when she falls asleep on your lap, gently pick her up and have her further away from you on the couch. Or maybe buy her a little couch/bed of her own to put by yours! I would have her little bed close to you so if she wakes up she's not so much in a panic.

My cat only comes around when its time to sleep. He sleeps right above my head, but for most of the day he could give 2 tunas about me and my girlfriend lol.