Waving a white flag . Throwing in the towel .

Carl the Cat owns 3 Human

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Carl has decided to leave 1s & 2s in areas other than the litter box . None of our cats before this were troublesome in this area so I'm lost . He commits these offenses near both the front and back doors and the door to the basement . We made improvements to the size and accessibility of the litter box but he will still go on the floor in the neighborhood of the litter box . How do I stop him going in the areas near the doors ? And what am I doing wrong at the litter box ?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SOMETHING is wrong that he does not like. Did you change the litter, brand, kind? How about putting a second box somewhere. If he goes near the doors, maybe he wants to go outside, you could try a second box with dirt/sand in it to see. Are other cats using the box and maybe bullying him?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might not be anything wrong in the litter box, per se. The fact that he's leaving deposits near the front and back doors tells me that it's territorial marking behavior.

Doors are at the boundaries of his territory and he knows that humans go in and out through those doors. (If cats are allowed outdoors, so does he.) He's leaving deposits to say, "MY TERRITORY!"

Do you allow your cat to go out? Are there other cats in the neighborhood? Your cat knows if there are any other cats because he can smell them. If those cats are peeing or leaving deposits outside your house, it could be the reason why your cat is doing the same. It's competition, just like the way dogs compete by peeing on trees.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm inclined to think, because of the area he is using, that he is, indeed, marking territory against some unseen (by you) intruder(s). This is the feline equivalent of "FILL THE MOAT, THE BARBARIANS ARE AT THE DOOR" in most cases. And rest assured, even if they are unseen by you, they are not necessarily unsmelled by him. There are several things that you can try, most of them involving dissuading whoever is triggering him from coming that close. There are silent, motion-activated compressed air cans that blast air into an animal's face when it approaches. These work very well, and can be placed outside. There are also motion-activated sprinklers with "aiming" capabilities (you can set them to a variety of sprinkle patterns) that will douse anyone entering your yard.

Second, there may be a physical issue. But that, given the details, is less likely than a potential intruder...cat, raccoon, opossum. By all means, if possible, get a vet check to rule that out, as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Carl the Cat owns 3 Human

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
SOMETHING is wrong that he does not like. Did you change the litter, brand, kind? How about putting a second box somewhere. If he goes near the doors, maybe he wants to go outside, you could try a second box with dirt/sand in it to see. Are other cats using the box and maybe bullying him?
Thank you for your response. There aren't any other cats here . We had two a year ago but those moved out with my daughter when she got an apartment. We have tried to make litter more appealing but nothing has clicked with him yet .

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Check your perimeter, and check the basement well. There could be a non-cat critter hanging around the house and even somehow sneaking into the basement that he knows about, but no one else does. Going by the entry doors as well as the basement door would make me think there could be something lurking around that's upsetting him.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't think of it, right off, but, yes, it could be some animal besides a cat. It could be raccoons, opossum, groundhogs or one of several different animals.

You can't always say that there aren't any of "those animals" living in my neighborhood. Both opossum and raccoons can live and even thrive in inner-city environments. There are known to be coyotes living in almost every major city of the US, including NY and LA. You don't often see them but they are there. When you do, it's often just a glimpse of an animal that could even be taken for a stray dog.

I'm not trying to start an argument but I can't believe that a cat would leave $#!† piles in front of the door for no other reason than to be an @$$#ø£€ cat. (<== Hyperbole.) Cats do things like that for reasons, even if those reasons are instinctual. Cats leave deposits in certain places for the same reason the Indians in old, Western movies would erect totem poles.

It's like putting up a sign that says, "You are venturing into my territory. Turn back now, and you may go in peace. If you continue past this place, you may feel my wrath."

I can't be 100% certain. Nobody really can. The first thing that comes to mind when I hear that a cat is middening (leaving deposits to mark territory) is that he's got some issue with territorial security. Like Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 says, there must be something making him feel like there are Barbarians at his gates. His instincts are going to do that to him as a way to defend his domain from some perceived threat, real or imaginary.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Many places had a mild winter as well. Rats have been pretty rampant. Another poster had insisted there was nothing in her home but finally had a free pest inspection come by and they found rats...right under where her cat was peeing consistently.

Even a new to the area cat could be roaming past without your sight, but your cat could be smelling it! Or hearing it! My neighbour's dog spooked my cat. Magnus would hear him on the other side of the houses and green space and go hide for a few weeks....long before we could hear him.

You can try putting a bit of used litter along the outside of your home near the door to drive away whatever it is. A bit gross yes, but it can work.

Puppy pee pads in the meantime might be helpful. They come in both disposable and more eco friendly reusable, depending on your preference.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try putting a bit of used litter along the outside of your home near the door to drive away whatever it is.
I like! :)

You are helping your cat extend his territory by placing a "totem pole" at your property line. Maybe it won't be 100% effective but it's certainly something that could help and it's not that much extra work. Whenever you clean out the cat box, just dump a scoop or two of used litter outdoors.

It only takes a few minutes and, besides, every little bit helps. Right?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm also in favor of trying the litter trick! Simple, easy, doesn't have to be a whole pile of it, and stands a good chance of working.