watery eyes

gunsmoke315

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been having a problem with my cats eyes being all watery and I have tried everything and nothing works it just comes right back.What else can I try?

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I have been having a problem with my cats eyes being all watery and I have tried everything and nothing works it just comes right back.What else can I try?
What are all the things have you tried?  Your cat likely has eyes that are infected as a result of an upper respiratory infection and needs either anti-viral or anti-bacterial eye cream or drops and possible an oral antibiotic as well, prescribed by a vet who can diagnose your cat.

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are they outdoor cats? Have you been to the vet? 

Watery eyes can have many causes.  There could be damage to the tear duct (usually from fighting), a blockage to the tear ducts, an upper respiratory infection, an eye infection, allergies.

You say your "cats" have runny eyes so if it is more than one I would place my money on a respiratory infection or some kind of eye infection or conjunctivitis. 

You haven't listed any of the things you have tried so it is impossible for anyone to suggest anything else you can try.  I would suggest that you first see a veterinarian to rule out anything serious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gunsmoke315

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well I have tried eye wipes and eye rinse and even the medicene from the vets but it always comes back and gets worst.They are outdoor cats and i've been to the vet several times

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is possible that they will have chronic runny eyes, some outdoor cats have a bit of chronic runny eyes. We have a stray, was an outdoor tomcat but is now an indoor cat.  His eye is more gunky than runny but it will always be that way.

What does the vet say? Are they concerned about it? 

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gunsmoke315

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Um no they are not concerned about it.They just give me a tube of eye ointment and when that tube runs out they give me another but it never really works

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe in that L-lysine too, I buy it as treats and at the first sign of runny eyes start to give it twice a day. It still takes days to work, but it sure beats weeks.