Watery eyes with discharge

Maggiez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just adopted a 6-month old kitten from a shelter (somehow I felt that he was younger than that, but there's no proof). The vet record looked fine but I didn't see deworming on it. I tried to schedule a wellness check-up with my vet, but unfortunately they're moving offices and cannot see him for another month.

He has been eating, sleeping, using the litter box, and playing normally for the past week. My other two residents cat took a bit of time to get along with him. There was some hissing and growling after he came out of the isolated room. But now they play together, with my resident girl occasionally smacking him (playfully most of the time).

Today I noticed that his eyes are a bit watery with some discharge in the corner. He has had soft stools sometimes but I took it as normal since I switched his food after the adoption (the shelter has been giving him Friskies and the cheapest kibble. Now I give him high quality wet food with a bit of raw food).

Is this a serious problem that I should consult a vet immediately about? I'm hoping to take him to my vet for the checkup in any case. But if it can't wait, I will need to find another place for an appointment.

Attachments

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could just be airborne allergies, but it could also be the start of an upper respiratory infection. Keep an eye on it and if you notice any change in his eating habits, potty habits, or play habits get him to the vet immediately, even if not your regular vet.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep an eye on it all and go to dvm if he gets worse, it could be uri. Switching his food should not be done drastically but slowly, that can cause soft stool and runs in many cats. He is adorable 💕

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maggiez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep an eye on it all and go to dvm if he gets worse, it could be uri. Switching his food should not be done drastically but slowly, that can cause soft stool and runs in many cats. He is adorable 💕
Will definitely keep an eye on him and take him to the vet if needed.

I tried to switch food slowly at the beginning when he's isolated. But it's hard after I let him out because my other two cats love the kibbles too much and would devour it immediately. I planned to isolate him longer, but ended up letting him out because he cries constantly to go out. I actually used the kibble to bribe my resident girl for positive association while feeding him behind the door. One time she ate too fast and ended up throwing up (although she did run to litter box to throw up so I considered her very considerate!).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maggiez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could just be airborne allergies, but it could also be the start of an upper respiratory infection. Keep an eye on it and if you notice any change in his eating habits, potty habits, or play habits get him to the vet immediately, even if not your regular vet.
Hopefully it's nothing serious! I'll keep a close eye on him and take him to another vet if it gets worse.