Water?

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've transitioned the 10 month old cat to 3 feedings a day of wet food (she was previously free-fed dry with one can of wet a day split into two feedings), and simultaneously she's stopped drinking water. (We have 3 water dishes around the house and she never had a problem with drinking from any of them)? Her poops have shifted from daily to 1 every 2 days as well. And her fur is noticeably silkier / smoother.

One of the canned wet meals a day usually has some sort of a broth to it, the other two are pate. From what I read, this is all normal - there's way less fiber in the all-wet diet and much more moisture.... I just want to check on here that I shouldn't be doing anything to encourage more water drinking for her. Is she really getting all her water from her food? Are there guidelines on how much water she should be drinking / any way to see how much water she is getting from the canned food labels?

I'm reading on here about adding some water to wet food, which I could try if that was needed. i'm wondering if it is with this diet? And if so, how much should I add in for 3 feedings a day?

thanks in advance!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No need to encourage water drinking if you're feeding an all canned food diet :) You can add a little water to the food to ensure good hydration. Be sure to keep bowls of clean water out all the time so the cat can drink if she wants to. My cats eat a raw diet and still drink from a water bowl occasionally.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that didn’t seem to be drinking water, so when I fed her I would add about a teaspoon of water, I didn’t add too much in case it got too soggy. None of my cats will eat pate so I’m not sure how much moisture it has.

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some cats prefer different kinds of water as well. I noticed that my cats actually enjoy the water I drink wat more than filtered or tap water so that is what I give them now. It is just bottled spring water.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Extra water doesn't hurt. Minish never drinks water when fed wet food so I add a bit to her food and sometimes give her water in which I had boiled chicken or meat. That she drinks little devil