Water intake

Skyscraper106

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good Morning!
My new rescue drinks a lot of water. Should I be concerned? Her record s from the rescue don’t show anything abnormal and she seems fine, but I’m worried. Has anyone else had this with their cat? Should I schedule her for a vet visit?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are a good cat parent, keeping an eye on things. Your cat is lucky to have come to you.

A visit to the vet for a new cat is probably a good idea in any case, so you have her "in the system." At the visit you can mention that she seems to be drinking lots of water. That, and if your new rescue also urinates a lot you should have her checked for diabetes at the vet visit.

What I did for my rainbow bridge cat was measure how much water I put in her bowl every morning, then measured how much was left the next day before cleaning and refilling. Did this for a week and wrote it down to show the vet. My cat was managed with an oral medication, transferred to all canned food, put on a diet - and the diabetes cleared up. Cats are type 2 diabetics, easier to manage than dogs, which are type 2.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old is the cat? Are you feeding dry food or canned food? How is the urine output in the litter box? Dry food can cause a cat to drink more water. Are you feeding the same brand of food the rescue was feeding?

Some cats like to drink water and that's fine. The urine clumps in the litter box might be a little big but nothing to worry about. Maybe your water tastes yummy to the cat? Cats can be weird sometimes. A trip to the vet isn't a bad idea.

Sticky, sugary smelling large clumps of urine (like several inches wide) indicates diabetes and a trip to the vet is needed to get started on treatment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Skyscraper106

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good Morning!
My new rescue drinks a lot of water. Should I be concerned? Her record s from the rescue don’t show anything abnormal and she seems fine, but I’m worried. Has anyone else had this with their cat? Should I schedule her for a vet visit?
[/QUOTE
How old is the cat? Are you feeding dry food or canned food? How is the urine output in the litter box? Dry food can cause a cat to drink more water. Are you feeding the same brand of food the rescue was feeding?

Some cats like to drink water and that's fine. The urine clumps in the litter box might be a little big but nothing to worry about. Maybe your water tastes yummy to the cat? Cats can be weird sometimes. A trip to the vet isn't a bad idea.

Sticky, sugary smelling large clumps of urine (like several inches wide) indicates diabetes and a trip to the vet is needed to get started on treatment.
Thank You! She us a year and 2 months. Hopefully she just likes the water. I was thinking also that it could be that in the shelter she didn’t have great access to water. There were at least 12 cats in the room she was in.

I will check her urine, good tip. 🙂