Water Gun Works!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisav

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Anne,

Believe it or not we do all of that too! Oh, I don't know, it's so hard being a new mum!

Kona has FOUR catstands with scratching posts - one is an absolute duluxe model with stairs and a cubby hole, he has different soft balls and teddys attached with elastic to his stands he plays with often. He has a snoopy beany baby, a handmade teddy bear and plenty of different types of balls and other assorted toys.

We play games with him, make cool play toys out of boxes but he seems to need contstant challenges - he gets bored very easily. He's really happy when he can play outside - actually that's when he's most happy. Problem is, he's much too little to play outside unattended. Whenever we can we let him out for a play - we have to watch him constantly though. He still doesn't know about the dangers of the road, the 2 big vicious dogs next door and that it's not safe to be climbing around under the chassis of my husband's 4X4 (he got stuck in there last weekend!). After a day outside with us on the weekend he's quite well behaved and sleeps very soundly :tounge2:

I guess we need to set aside even more time to play with him. I agree, another kitten would be wonderful - just need to convince my husband of that! Tom won't let me have another kitten - says it will cost too much and that it would mean "double trouble". Must admit, I've got my eye on a litter of Russian Blue babies that will be ready in about a month though

Lisa

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lisa, I have to concur with Anne. Using the spray gun is not the best idea, because sometimes it teaches the cat to fear water as well as you. Instead of *screaming in pain* try blowing gently once, into Kona's face, tell him no and walk away. You can also use Bear for a substitute of your fingers and feet. When Kona bites, put Bear down for Kona to reach, and walk away from your kitty. Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisav

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't get me wrong guys, we only use the water gun occasionally!
We're not that horrible that we're busting to spray him whenever he does anything wrong! Firstly we use "No", then we try diversion tactics and simply walking away from him. It's only during a very violent attack that we use the "Academy Awards" approach or if that fails (and when his teeth have absolutely locked onto your arm [and you have visions of a siamese kitten attached to your arm forever]) that we need to resort to the water spray gun.

Thanks Hissy for the blowing idea - I'll try that one tonight!

Lisa

the dreaded tum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, Lisa:

Although you can't do anything about this because of the circumstances in which you got Kona, the biting is very likely related to being taken too early from his mom. One of the important things a mother cat does is teach the rambunctious kitten not to bite hard enough to hurt (also gets it from his kitten kin, LOL!). Add to this that Kona's obviously a high-energy Siamese, and I can see your dilemma.

If you want to try an alternative to yelling or the water pistol, I've found that mimicking Mom can work with some kittens. Normally, the mother cat will take the kitten by the scruff and pin the kitten gently to indicate that this isn't acceptable behavior. What I have done is said "No!" firmly, scruffed the kitten (and by this I mean, put your hand on the scruff area... not lift him or pull him by the scruff which should never be done) and pinned him for a few seconds before letting go. This is not meant to be a punishment (I can't say that enough), so don't "muscle" Kona: simply restrain him for a few seconds and let him go.

Another thing... tone of voice is very important. When you tell him no, it must be short and firm, very no nonsense. If your tone of voice is (sorry, no nice way to say this) wheedling or angry, Kona may not respond... in the first instance because he senses you're not in control and therefore not dominant and in the second there may be an aggressive response out of fear.

This doesn't work with all kittens.... the problem with this method, or yelling, or the water pistol, is that the kitten may have an aggressive response, so if he gets very agitated and stressed when you do it, you'll have to look for another method. There is no real magic cure except being consistant... and that's the most important thing, because if you do it sometimes and not others, the kitten is getting a mixed message (which is no message at all). And it's important that every one who deals with Kona use the same response.

I would also look at all your play behavior... do you hand play with Kona (by this I mean use your hand to rough house with him)? If you do, I'd stop it, given his biting behaviour, because you're teaching him to associate rough play with human skin (hence any skin is fair game). Redirect that kind of play to a stuffed animal that he can bite and kick to his heart's content.

Edited by TDT, who can't seem to type today...