Water fountains???

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hareting

how do you guys clean your fountain and its filter??

Does everyone throw away their water fountain after a while? or do you have some good methods to clean it??
I have the Drinkwell, use the cleaning kit to thoroughly clean it out about once every 1-2 months, and I give it quick cleanings once every 3-4 weeks, rinsing the filter well each time.

I replace the filters every 2-3 months.

I have hard water in my area which results in deposits and buildup in my shower and sinks, but I have never had a problem with deposits on my fountain, and I have now had it for close to two years.

I just bought the 50 ounce reservior for the back of it, which means now I only have to fill it once a week instead of adding water ever day.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have the petsmate fresh flow and after a few mouths I found that the filter has some green slimy stuff on it, so i throw away the filter, and filtered the water b4 I put it in the fountian. I check petsmart and walmart and there's no replacement filter avail.

Also, i found that after a while (about a yr) there's either mineral build up on it or the plastic wear out, part of the surface is no longer smooth and has white spots on it which i am unabble to scrub away. So I just throw the water fountain away and buy a new one. $27 lasting for 1 yr is good enough IMO. (Walmart has the fresh flow for $27 CAD while petsmart sell it for $40)

Does everyone throw away their water fountain after a while? or do you have some good methods to clean it??
I've had my fountain for over 2 years and just found the best way to get rid of the hard water deposits. I do replace my filters but only I had a hard time finding them. Maybe try on-line?

For cleaning I soaked the whole thing (except the pump) in a mix of water an vinegar and the deposits practically fell off. I soaked it for at least 48 hours though.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

the only one i've thrown away is the CatIt, because i found it too much trouble to clean.
i take the fountain apart & wipe all smooth areas down with that food sanitizer spray. then i take the pump apart & clean out all of the 'sploodge' that has collected. i don't use the filters anymore because i add lysine to their water & i don't want it 'filtered' out.

hareting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh wow, that's great, i'll try vinegar! thx for the advice.

so there's filter avail then, let me check a few more pet store to see if i'd be able to find it...or I will ask petmart if they could special order it for me if they don't have any in stock.

I add water every other day and rinse it weekly/biweekly(depending on lazy i am lol), becuz after a while i can see dust/ hair / oil in the water. I suppose the food they eat has oil and when they drink water with their oily little mouths it makes the water oily. and i live in a basement, so it's just generally dustier than houses / appartments.

Overall i'm very satisfied with the fresh flow tho, i bought the dome shape catit b4 and Nana found it a toy instead of a fountain, she likes to place her paw there and the water get splash everywhere, so i return it and bought the fresh flow instead.

Originally Posted by twstychik

I've had my fountain for over 2 years and just found the best way to get rid of the hard water deposits. I do replace my filters but only I had a hard time finding them. Maybe try on-line?

For cleaning I soaked the whole thing (except the pump) in a mix of water an vinegar and the deposits practically fell off. I soaked it for at least 48 hours though.

troublesome2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

how do you guys clean your fountain and its filter???
I have got replacement filters just incase the other one get too tatty but i just clean it with warm water once every two weeks or so and it seems to be in clean order so far

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I clean and change out the water every week. Change the filter about once per month (they don't last forever) and clean with vinegar approximately every 3 weeks. By cleaning weekly, there is little buildup of lime deposits.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mybabyphx

Ok. So I sat on here looking to find out what is the BEST water fountain for my baby PHX. After digging and digging for the "answer" I decided to go to Petsmart and get the Pets Mate Fresh Flow Cat Fountain for $40.00 and I bring it home set it up and I think I was more excited about that damn thing then the cat was! PHX just looked at it, then looked at me, then looked at it and then decided to push the water out of it with his paw all over the floor. I took away his other water bowl he was using so he would realize this is his NEW and IMPROVED drinking bowl! Well, when I woke up this morning all I could hear is him MEOWING AT THE TOP OF HIS LITTLE LUNGS standing in front of his water bowl. I soon realized- hey maybe he hasn't drank water allllll night!?!?! For $40 I really HOPE that he gets up enough courage to drink out of it today while I'm at work.

So, who else has tried this particular fountain? Have you had luck (good or bad)??? Let me know what your intakes are of this-- Thanks!

PHX'S MOM- Tiffany
See this thread, which was yesterday's KatKwiz question on water fountains.
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122748