Water bowl, HELP!

calkit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our kitten is 4 months old now. She drinks a lot of water but then she likes to drag the bowl across the floor only until it sloshes on the floor and then she is done. She does this with the dogs big bowl even when it's full! Then she does it with her bowl and that one is small.
I don't know what to do but where the bowls are there is carpet, yuk!
Any ideas other then a towel or place mat under the bowls? Yesterday I almost bought the bowls that take a water bottle turned upside down but then I thought if she drags that it will be a huge mess.
I stop her every time I see her do it but overnight I am not up to see her and she just spills all of the water out of it. It's cute but turning into a pain!

Please share ideas.

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my kitties went through the water-is-fun-so-I-must-play-with-it phase. Some of them outgrew it, but others did not. And, as such, I've learned how to accept it and deal with it.

I primarily use water fountains now for all of my pets -- cats and dogs included. These fountains are typically "heavy" and are not as likely to be dragged throughout the house. And, as an added benefit, they do promote better hydration (though it does sound as though you're confident that your kitten is taking in an adequate amount of fluids). But, they are also more costly and require additional upkeep. So, I understand that water fountains are not for everyone. And, truth be told, though I have multiple fountains, I still provide dishes of water throughout the house for my pets. But, I have learned that if I want to ensure that water is not sloshed everywhere, I need to take precautions. What I've done is place the water dishes in other pans -- typically a large, stainless steel baking dish (one that is at least as tall as a baking pan). I also place the kitties wet food dishes in these pans so as to ensure their wet food also stays put in the event that one of the cats decides to play rather than eat. And, if you don't have a baking dish around, a litter pan or similar pan will do. While it's not fool-proof, I've noticed that it does help. Another option is to purchase water dishes that have a wider base than top and that have the rubber stoppers on the bottom to keep them "stuck" to the floor. While this won't help if the kitten decides to play in the water with his or her paws, it does deter them from trying to tip their dishes or drag them along the floor. In the end, it may be that you need to put the dishes in a place where water on the floor won't cause damage, but, hopefully, some of the suggestions I've offered here will help in the meantime.

Good luck with your water-loving kitty. Sometimes, with age, they'll grow out of it. And, if your kitten doesn't, well, hopefully, you'll have some tips in your arsenal to help maintain order in your house (well as much order as one can have if they're owned by kitties
).

cmedeiros17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My little boy is a water lover too! I have a water fountain as well as bowls of water. I had to take up the bowls though because he would do the same thing your kitten is doing....drag it around and make a mess (usually dumped over). I notice with the fountain he doesn't try to do that. He will bat at the moving water a bit but thats it and it doesn't make as much of a mess as if he drags around the bowl and knocks it over.

You could also try a large ceramic bowl that would be too heavy for her to move. Only issue I see with that is that she may go swimming in it instead!!!!