Water bottle discipline?

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not trying to argue with that comment about people humanizing cats, but I think people often minimize the intelligence of animals. I definitely think my cat's angry yowling when I put her in the carrier and took her to the vet almost a month ago had a lot to do with her thinking she was kicked out of her comfy home. It was the first time she'd been outside in 5 months and she was trapped in a carrier for the first time in 5 months, so she knew something "bad" was happening. Since I brought her to her new home, she's been very happy inside and isn't interested in going outside at all so far.

My cat probably had only been in a carrier before to be taken from a kill shelter to a rescue shelter where she was fed and taken care of but trapped. Then, I came along and took her for an hour & 1/2 drive in another carrier to a strange place that she thankfully came to love. As soon as she got trapped in the carrier 3 weeks ago for the vet visit, she would have remembered her past times in a carrier. For her, it always meant that she would be transported to some strange place and just left there to never return back to her normal home. She's not going to know or understand that she's going to be brought back home each time I take her out. Hopefully, with more vet visits and returns back home each time, she'll be less fearful but cats have memories like all animals. Humans are animals too but people often forget that. In the classification of species, humans belong in the same group as cats and other animals. Especially older adopted, rescue cats might be more fearful of being taken away from their homes than cats adopted as kittens who know the drill much better. My cat's behavior definitely started right after the vet visit and is due to that only. She's clearly feeling a little anger and upset and confusion too when she does it as I can tell by looking at her. Cats and other animals aren't emotionless. I think the only emotion they do lack is humor. They can't laugh, unfortunately...or fortunately (because my cat would be laughing at me a lot if she could).

It's been 3 weeks and my cat is still upset about the vet visit. It didn't help that I just had to take her back for a vaccine booster. Then, she'll be going back again in 3 weeks for a long day of dental cleaning and anesthesia. =/ I'm patient with her, fortunately, and will let her act out her little anger borne out of fear whenever I pick her up now. She'll automatically remember when I pick her up that maybe I'm going to shove her in the cat carrier again and take her to the vet. Cats have amazing survival instincts. Humans in first world environments don't anymore. Her survival instinct tells her not to let me pick her up again or to try to "teach" me not to so she can avoid the carrier and vets.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not trying to argue with that comment about people humanizing cats, but I think people often minimize the intelligence of animals. I definitely think my cat's angry yowling when I put her in the carrier and took her to the vet almost a month ago had a lot to do with her thinking she was kicked out of her comfy home. It was the first time she'd been outside in 5 months and she was trapped in a carrier for the first time in 5 months, so she knew something "bad" was happening. Since I brought her to her new home, she's been very happy inside and isn't interested in going outside at all so far.

My cat probably had only been in a carrier before to be taken from a kill shelter to a rescue shelter where she was fed and taken care of but trapped. Then, I came along and took her for an hour & 1/2 drive in another carrier to a strange place that she thankfully came to love. As soon as she got trapped in the carrier 3 weeks ago for the vet visit, she would have remembered her past times in a carrier. For her, it always meant that she would be transported to some strange place and just left there to never return back to her normal home. She's not going to know or understand that she's going to be brought back home each time I take her out. Hopefully, with more vet visits and returns back home each time, she'll be less fearful but cats have memories like all animals. Humans are animals too but people often forget that. In the classification of species, humans belong in the same group as cats and other animals. Especially older adopted, rescue cats might be more fearful of being taken away from their homes than cats adopted as kittens who know the drill much better. My cat's behavior definitely started right after the vet visit and is due to that only. She's clearly feeling a little anger and upset and confusion too when she does it as I can tell by looking at her. Cats and other animals aren't emotionless. I think the only emotion they do lack is humor. They can't laugh, unfortunately...or fortunately (because my cat would be laughing at me a lot if she could).

It's been 3 weeks and my cat is still upset about the vet visit. It didn't help that I just had to take her back for a vaccine booster. Then, she'll be going back again in 3 weeks for a long day of dental cleaning and anesthesia. =/ I'm patient with her, fortunately, and will let her act out her little anger borne out of fear whenever I pick her up now. She'll automatically remember when I pick her up that maybe I'm going to shove her in the cat carrier again and take her to the vet. Cats have amazing survival instincts. Humans in first world environments don't anymore. Her survival instinct tells her not to let me pick her up again or to try to "teach" me not to so she can avoid the carrier and vets.
Personally, I would hold off on the dental for months.  One vet told me my cat needed his teeth cleaned & another said we could do it next year.  So unless the teeth are really bad or if there is a problems, I would wait.  I had to trick my cat into the carrier pretending we were going outside.  He was mad for weeks & very wary when I wanted to take him out.  I always felt so bad having to take him.

arthursmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm having a hard time understanding what the behavior problem is, so perhaps you could explain a bit more. It sounds like basically kitty is just trying to get your attention but not hurting your or doing any damage. I'm not sure why that needs to be handled with a water bottle. Presumably you would either just stop and pet kitty for a second, or ignore depending on what you are doing right then and there.

I mean, I get that it's changed behavior, but if it isn't really bad behavior, it doesn't seem like a big deal. It will likely change again at some point. Cats aren't exactly easily controlled, after all, and when they want to communicate they do. As long as she isn't actually hurting you or doing damage, I'm not sure it needs action other than "yes, I can play now" or "no, I can't right now."