Water and I do not get along

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
No, not my iPod this time. This time? It was my phone. And this time? It wasn't really my fault. Honest.

I was a runner at the sale on Saturday. My cell was in my back pocket (and I didn't want it there! I told Rick that I never put my phone in my back pocket and I didn't want to on Saturday. But everybody said that if they needed to find me in the midst of all the people, they could just buzz my phone, so into my back pocket it went.)

Anyway, I was walking through the mudhole into the house. Somebody who was at the sale and who knew me from working at the paper plant, grabbed hold of the back belt loop of my jeans and jerked, trying to get my attention. It startled me and I almost went down. My phone ended up in a mud puddle. It's gone. It didn't die right away, but last night it bit the dust. I couldn't even put it in rice right away because we weren't at home and til I got home Saturday night, it was probably too late. I can't get it to charge; I had it on the charger all day yesterday and it won't charge past 2%. 

I'm just sick about it; that phone was really nice. It's a Droid Turbo in red. 

We're going to go down to Verizon and see if there's anything we can do....new battery, whatever. I'm not due for a new phone until next May, so if I can't get a new battery or if nothing works, then I may just go to eBay and see what I can find. Rick can get a new phone now and he said that, if push comes to shove, he'll give me his new phone and keep his Droid Ultra, which he really likes. That doesn't seem fair to him.....he had been talking about getting an iPhone this time around. Verizon no longer carries the Droid Turbo anyway; now it's a Droid Turbo 2. 

I need to stay away from water. Period. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

No, not my iPod this time. This time? It was my phone. And this time? It wasn't really my fault. Honest.

I was a runner at the sale on Saturday. My cell was in my back pocket (and I didn't want it there! I told Rick that I never put my phone in my back pocket and I didn't want to on Saturday. But everybody said that if they needed to find me in the midst of all the people, they could just buzz my phone, so into my back pocket it went.)

Anyway, I was walking through the mudhole into the house. Somebody who was at the sale and who knew me from working at the paper plant, grabbed hold of the back belt loop of my jeans and jerked, trying to get my attention. It startled me and I almost went down. My phone ended up in a mud puddle. It's gone. It didn't die right away, but last night it bit the dust. I couldn't even put it in rice right away because we weren't at home and til I got home Saturday night, it was probably too late. I can't get it to charge; I had it on the charger all day yesterday and it won't charge past 2%. 

I'm just sick about it; that phone was really nice. It's a Droid Turbo in red. 

We're going to go down to Verizon and see if there's anything we can do....new battery, whatever. I'm not due for a new phone until next May, so if I can't get a new battery or if nothing works, then I may just go to eBay and see what I can find. Rick can get a new phone now and he said that, if push comes to shove, he'll give me his new phone and keep his Droid Ultra, which he really likes. That doesn't seem fair to him.....he had been talking about getting an iPhone this time around. Verizon no longer carries the Droid Turbo anyway; now it's a Droid Turbo 2. 

I need to stay away from water. Period. 
I'm sorry to hear that.  There are some on ebay. This one is in PA. It's not red though. Do you have insurance on yours?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTOROLA-DR...452438?hash=item1a11a93896:g:QM0AAOSwAvJXBoWp

Here's a red one on Amazon

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The new Samsung Galaxy is supposed to be water resistant.  They are too expensive for me when they are new.  I like mine but I bought it right after the next one came out so it wasn't so expensive.  I actually have the S4 and they are up to the 7 now.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I am sorry to hear your phone crapped out. I put mine in a hard case with a soft gel outter edge thing-its not waterproof but maybe getting a waterproof shell would help?I know I have dropped my phone so many times and this hard case saved it..I can't remember the name of the company but the case is around $40. Since I am a clutz that's the best thing you could do for the next one. maybe take it completely apart and let it dry out-I don't know how to do this but maybe the local phone shop can help you?

I know I would be royally TICKED OFF!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once fried my phone (was washing it with rubbing alcohol and got too much liquid in the plug part) but it actually came back after a few days in rice. So it's still worth trying.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I got it charged, although it took forever. I can't do anything on the screen. You know how you tap the screen to enter your passcode? Well, I can't tap the screen and have it work. And it will turn on, but the screen goes dark and it turns right back off again. And then I have to wait an hour or so before it will turn back on again. It seems like there's a short in there somewhere. I am so frustrated. 

We didn't go to Verizon last night; Rick wants to give it time to dry out in rice, so it's living in a container of rice for now. I never thought I could miss my phone that much and how much I relied on it, to check the time, to check the temperature/weather, and yes, to play games (I was up to Level 473 on Angry Birds POP! Come on!!! If we can't get that phone to work and I have to get a new phone, games don't transfer to the new phone, which means I have to start over.
)

Just for the record:

1 Sony digital camera - ended up in the creek at Rickett's Glen State Park

3 iPods - washed in the washer when I was doing laundry

1 Droid Turbo cell phone - mud puddle

I hear Arizona is nice (and dry)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ugh - that sucks :( I hope it does dry out ok :cross:

For what its worth, I have a galaxy s5, and it's survived countless falls into puddles, and even being dropped down the loo (don't ask :cringe: ). They definitely are pretty indestructible, provided you have a case that protects the screen. I'm the clumsiest person you can imagine (and a regular phone killer :anon: ). If it can survive me, it can survive anyone :lol3:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I went three days without a phone and couldn't handle it any more. We went to the Verizon store last night and I have another Droid Turbo.  

Rick's 2-year plan had expired earlier this year. Well, he had no plans on changing phones as he still likes his Droid Ultra. He had been looking at the new iPhone, but not seriously. So he offered to give me his phone option and I'll give him mine next year. I didn't want to do that and was going to just buy a refurbished phone from Amazon, but he wanted no part of that. So I was able to get a phone (with insurance, I might add).

Now I have to get the phone adjusted for me. Get my Contacts back in, photos, games, etc. That's always fun.

Oh and since our plan was fairly old (by today's standards), we were able to work something out. So now we have unlimited talk and text, plus 6 GBs of data between the two of us. We have the HUM package for my Hyundai Tucson (which I didn't really want, but it's part of the package, I guess, and it may come in handy someday....who knows). And our bill actually decreased by over $25 a month.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great that you've got things sorted so quickly. That new package deal sounds good too :D Hope the phone doesn't take TOO long to set up to your liking :cross: