Wasn't sure where to put this

whatsername85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we have suspected rats in the backyard, or in the neighbors backyard and a whole area of city property is left to overgrow every summer right outside our fence. We have smelled the urine and yesterday we saw a rat come in the fence go across the yard and back out. I also worry about rattle snakes, scorpions and turancula it's going to be 98/99 all week. I read that used cat litter will ward off rats has anyone done this? What about snakes? Does it work the same? I'm worried about letting the dogs out back and having someone getting bitten or something especially since we have seniors and small dogs. Sam my kitten just started using his harness and leash last night. We walk him out with us and the dogs out back and let him roam around on a long lead. I want something as natural as possible to keep away everything.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have not added your location to your profile so I don't know where you live.  While concentrated cat urine is actually sold as a repellant, just putting out used litter is unlikely to ward off rats.  There are ultrasonic devices that ward off rodents, spiders, roaches etc. in the home, but I am not sure they would cover an entire yard.  Also, anything like that might bother your dogs or cats, who hear higher frequencies than humans do.   I'm not sure how they would work on snakes.   There is a device that is a motion sensitive water sprayer that is triggered by movement and chases small animals away without harming them. 

You could try buying the concentrated repellant and putting it around places where you see rats traveling through.  Is your yard fenced?  Can you keep it short and open, i.e. use a weed whacker to keep the brush down? That is your best bet to keep away most pests.  Rats and mice are just looking for food, so if you make sure not to have any pet food or grains outside, they won't hang around.  Snakes are drawn to the rats and mice for food, so if you get rid of one, you get rid of the other.  As for spiders, scorpions and other insects, they too are in search of food, so the more barren your yard, the less likely you are to have these in the area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whatsername85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ooh I guess I haven't, copperas cove Texas, the yard is privacy fenced and we keep the grass cut. There's no food outside at all all our animals eat indoors but we do have a birdbath. We seem to be the only people who use our backyard around here but I wasn't sure if the fact we use it would keep them away. We do have plants back there, pineapple (no fruit produced yet), wondering jew, cactus (I believe aloe Vera and a type of prickly pear but it's not sharp), some annual flowers and mother in law's tongue. We have seen I assume rats around our shed but I don't think they live under it but you can smell a very strong urine smell that's not cat or dog so they live somewhere close. I can try the concentrated repellant, I also read about shake away? I don't know how well that works.

rosa bood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cat litter never worked for us to keep the rats away. However making sure the trash containers had tight covers and not putting out any more bird seed solved our rat problem in the past. Rats love bird seed including sunflower seeds. All it takes is the birds and squirrels knocking a few seeds on the ground... and you can develope a rat problem. I can also tell you that the urine in the litter boxes also did not keep the snakes and spiders away. I'm not sure about scorpions because we never saw any scorpions around our house in Citrus County,Florida although there are scorpions at other neighbors homes. Maybe you need to get yourself a Rat Terrier dog. ;) They are great at killing rats instantly and it is much more humane than using poison and traps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whatsername85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well we talked to the landlord and hopefully she will talk to the city about the long grass. I think the rats cut through our yard I'm not sure if they hang out so much but where ever the urine smell comes from its very strong. If adding another dog was possible, we have 5 right now than we would do that and the Texas sun can be very intense so I assume they're looking for water and probably shade. After thinking about the litter I use corn litter so I'm afraid of attracting other things even with the urine smell

rosa bood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I definitely would be concerned about attracting rats and other animals with the corn litter! I wish you the best of luck getting rid of the rats! Let us know the outcome after the grass is cut. I'm interested in knowing if that rectifies your problem.  Thank you.