Was the father purebred

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Amany, other than the problem of cat overpopulation (which is real and painful everywhere on the globe), there's a lot to know about breeding cats that's important if you wish to produce healthy cats. You need to know your lines to prevent certain genetical health problems. Your cats may be carriers of PKD and you may be bringing sick kittens into the world without knowing it. Also there are a lot of diseases you need to test your breeding cats for. If either male or female carries FIV, FeLV, FIP or some other disease they will infect each other as well as the newborns. These are all deadly incurable diseases.

Please don't breed the cats unless you want to do it right. First learn all there is to know about breeding cats (and it's a whole lot of learning!), join a club, attend shows and see if you wish to do it properly. If not, for the sake of the cats please have them spayed/neutered at 4-5 months old.

a_loveless_gem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only ever visited one cat shelter in my lifetime.

I did see the mixed breeds, domestic shorthairs or moggies. The less expensive cats that wouldn't make it to a pedigree cat show. But I did also see expensive PUREBRED cats in cages too. And they included, a Devon Rex, Persians, a wonderfully spotted cat that I later found out to be an Ocicat after much thorough research, siamese and burmese cats.

Please research fully into breeding. There are as Anne has said genetic health disorders and problems. Breeding isn't just putting two cats together and having kittens born. You've got to look after them to at least 12 weeks before they're separated from the mother and litter, immunisations, worming, finding good homes for them that come with responsible owners. Knowing what to do if you can't home all the kittens. Having all the required paperwork such as proof of genetic line if requested and immunisations and any other vet visits that the kittens have made. What happens if the new owners no longer want their adorable kitten? Are you willing to take it back? This is only a small portion of what you need to do.

Please join a club or a cat organisation to learn what is fully required for being a breeder. It's not something that you can do by trial and then opt out. There are large consequences that need to be dealt with.

xastion

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yea, I also have to agree.

The thing is this, people buy kittens when they're all cute and cuddly and think to themselves that this is what they want. Then they find out that the kitten is an active ball of pure energy, or the kitten grows up to be not as cute as it once was and they loose the appreciation and the cat looses what attention it once had.

Sure, you can make some money by doing this but is it worth the idea that these kittens may one day be abandoned? One of the benefits of breeding professionally is you know what kind of owners these cats are going to, and you can set up legal contracts..though I am not sure about the law in Egypt. Here in the US you can set up contracts to make sure that the owner doesn't abuse or neglect the animal.

Please think about the cats. Your cats are rather adorable, I will never disagree with that, but there are many other unplanned adorable cats out there that desperately need homes. If you are thinking about doing this professionally there are plenty of very knowledgeable people here that can start you off on the right foot.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Anne
Amany, other than the problem of cat overpopulation (which is real and painful everywhere on the globe), there's a lot to know about breeding cats that's important if you wish to produce healthy cats. You need to know your lines to prevent certain genetical health problems. Your cats may be carriers of PKD and you may be bringing sick kittens into the world without knowing it. Also there are a lot of diseases you need to test your breeding cats for. If either male or female carries FIV, FeLV, FIP or some other disease they will infect each other as well as the newborns. These are all deadly incurable diseases.

Please don't breed the cats unless you want to do it right. First learn all there is to know about breeding cats (and it's a whole lot of learning!), join a club, attend shows and see if you wish to do it properly. If not, for the sake of the cats please have them spayed/neutered at 4-5 months old.
Amen to that sister

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amany

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amany- I just hope you undertsand we weren't trying to be nasty about all this or poke fun at you - but there are millions of stray cats/kittens in the world and it would sicken me if I knew you were adding to that.

Good Luck & I hope you take our advice

amany

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I appreciate your kind words. I will never add to stray cats.
What I was saying that in Egypt, pets are not common in homes due to different economic and social reasons. People who have pets they do it because they can afford it and love them. So they never throw them in streets.
Street cats are a different story. However, Egyptians are kind by nature and they feed them and prefere to have them around houses to gaurd from rats specially in rural areas.

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
but if there were not a ton of purebreed cats, or in the case you are going to make long haired mixed breed cats, then maybe people would take in some street cats. I'm sure there have to be animal shelters where you live, and they must be over run with animals just like ours are here.

amany

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes there are animal hospitals and shelters.
Many people too love to have a common cat without care for breed.

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
which is what we are trying ot say. Those shelter animals need a chance. there is no reason to bring more cats into the world when there are so many. I would LOVE to let snowwhite have another litter. She has really cute kittens but there are just to many cats that need homes.