Was My Cats Weight Gain Caused By Depression Or Boredom?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Kitty has always been chubby. But after my mother passed away all she wanted to do was eat and sleep. She got up to 15lbs.

After moving in with my sister my mind frame has improved. My cat is now 13.8 lbs. She's up during the day and exercising by herself. She's playful and having fun. For the first time in years she is small enough that she can reach to clean her own butt. She used to have peices of poop stuck to her butt. She seems happier and healthier.

I cant tell if she's happy to be in a home with other people. If if her sadness was caused by grief.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad to hear your kitty is doing better - I do think they may feel a lost when they lose a companion and turn to food for comfort. However given that she is more active now and losing weight, you do want your vet to run a full blood panel on her just to make sure she doesn’t have a hyperactive thyroid or diabetes. One of my girls was in her mid teens and all of the sudden she started playing and acting like a kitten. It wasn’t until I noticed her weight loss and took her to the vet did we find out all that new playfulness was caused by her overactive thyroid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind getting her checked. But the weight loss came after a new home. And being more active. I had her blood work done last year. The only thing wrong was her needing to lose weight lol

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could well be a bit of both...boredom and mourning. And cats do mourn. They mourn for both people and other animals in their lives.

Do Cats Mourn?
I see what the article means about cats changing when they lose someone. Elsa has become so needy, and almost desperate to be loved. Before she only loved and was affectionate to my mom.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy that she has that love she needs. Bless her. Bless you for helping her.
thank you! i love Elsa dearly. But for some weird reason I still see her as my moms cat. Whenever anyone asks about my cats I say that Kitty is my cat, and Elsa is my moms cat. I dont know why. And i dont know if that feeling will ever go away.:frown:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I understand that very well, and I'm sure a part of it is that Elsa being your mom's cat keeps your mom with you in some small way. That's just how our minds work. Doesn't mean that you love Elsa any less, maybe even a bit more.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is likely a bit of both. If blood work was done a year ago it might be time for another check especially if she is a senior. But the weight gain is due to overfeeding and inactivity. So if she is getting chubby or still chubby that is totally on you to get her moving more and/or cut back her food slightly. What kind of food does she eat? How much does she eat a day? If she is free fed, offer small meals instead so you can control the amount. If she eats dry, consider adding canned and cutting way back on dry since dry is packed with unnecessary and unhealthy carbs that the carnivorous cat doesn't not need (which can also lead to diabetes!)